• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Layer by Layer Podcast

WCA
2017OWEN01
Hmm,
Bell 1: Sail from sail boat
Bell 2: Sail in reference to QiYi Sail
Bell 3: ~Weilong, which sounds like whaling or whale if you nix the ong part
Ergo the bell is rung for things found in the book Moby Dick, obviously.
Alternatively it could just literally be general ocean-y things.

@Kit Clement
@ColorfulPockets
And the first one Kit said "snail" instead, which could ring the ocean-y bell
Maybe it’s just the sound “ail”

xyzzy

I have no friggin clue how US time zones work, but I'm assuming that's 12:00 UTC−7, or 19:00 UTC. About five and a half hours from now?

---

edit: I was there for the stream but my mind was half asleep at that point (as it is now), so maybe I shouldn't have been…

My Twitch username is a visual joke based on the same username I use for GitHub/Discord/etc. I chose my username here (xyzzy) to be as generic as possible, originally with some intention of being separate from all my other online activity, but at some point I gave up on trying to maintain a million distinct online identities so it's now a mishmash of whatever. (Also, since I live in a Commonwealth country, the canonical pronunciation is axe-wye-zed-zed-wye. ;))

Speaking of Twitch, I streamed a couple of 2-7 relays two weeks ago and a couple of people hopped in to spectate, but honestly it's boring to watch someone solve cubes for like an hour straight, and nobody sat through the whole thing (except for myself, duh). Cube-related streaming probably only makes sense if there's already some pre-existing community around the streamer, to fill in the void when they're solving cubes and not paying attention to chat. (You guys did already mention this in the show, I think.)

Last edited:

I'm A Cuber

lol, I’m listening to all the episodes again. I hope I’ll be able to make it (finger crossing emoji)

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I listened to this for the first time today while taking the dogo for a walk. It was interesting and I’ll have to check out some old episodes. We got rained on so I didn’t get to finish KUKUKUKUKU but I wanted to post and say the podcast was well done and caught my attention

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Kit says a symbol (i.e: colon, semicolon, apostrophe, period(dot), etc.)
That's my guess.

@ColorfulPockets I can't see the doc with the new rules. Is anybody else having that issue?

B R2 D2 F2 L F2 L' B2 L2 D2 R F2 U F' R' U F L2 D L'
1. LLL FF R B D
2. LL FFF RR B
3. U RR BB DDDD
4. LL FF RR BBB
5. UUU LL F RR B D
6. UU LLL FF R DD
7. UUU LL FF RRR D
8. UUUU FF RR B DD
9. U L F RRR B DDDDD
10. U L F RR BBBBB DD
11. UU LLLLL FFFF R B
12. U LLLLLL F R B DDDD
13. UUUU L FFF BB DDDDD
14. U LLLL FFF R BB DDDDD
15. UUU LLLL FFFF RR BBBB
16. UU LLL FFFFF RRR B DDDD
17. UUUU LL FF RRRR BBBB DDD
18. UU LLLLLLLLLL F RRRRR B D
19. UU LL FFFFF RRRRRR B DDDDD
20. U LLL FFFFF RRRR BBBB DDDDD

I tried it and ended up with a DNF. :(

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
The bell is when kit pronounces punctuation, like saying ‘slash’ out loud

My guesses for the bell:

Kit says the same letter/number/symbol twice in a row (i.e: he had had a trumpet)
Kit says a symbol (i.e: colon, semicolon, apostrophe, period(dot), etc.)

CG Dab

I thought my guess was different enough from yours, and maybe only one of us would get it based on the different wording.