• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Gan Debate Thread

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
But most things have been around much longer than cubing has(not counting the no hardware updates in 1980s-2000)
That is very true, I wonder when the hobby will get old enough where people start paying hundreds for slight improvements in the hardware. I also think that it's very cool that cubing has a very low entry cost since after all its just a bunch of plastic and screws and not something as complex as an instrument or (Insert thing used for hobby that is complex)

Pyr

WCA
2016HAMI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's completely no difference [with ridges] imo. I've tried the WRM, and they don't really change anything when it comes to slices(although that kinda makes sense cause they're on the outside anyway). And as far as preventing slipping your hands off the cube, it's really rare anyway so the ridges again don't really change anything. Basically this is the story of ridges:

Moyu: "Let's put ridges!"
Cubers before trying: "WTH ARE U CRAZY THIS CUBE SUX"
Cubers after trying: "Oh. This is basically the same as a normal cube. Whatever I guess"
Moyu: "OK FINE WELL REMOVE RIDGES"
Cubers before trying: "Um, we didn't really have an opinion on the ridges anyway, so whatever I guess"
Cubers after trying: "Yeah this is literally the same cube except the LM version with slightly different ascetics"
Moyu: "OK FINE WELL JUST MAKE A WRM WITH RIDGES"
Cubers: "Holy crap we don't even want these just make a GTS4 already"

Those are 2 different groups of people, though

The people who were fine with the ridges were the minority, compared to the large amounts of people who complained about being forced to have to use them to use the GTS3. The complaints only died down after the WRM released and people could choose, at which point the people who were fine with ridges could be heard a bit better

To be fair, $60 is cheap for the top of the line(supposedly) cube compared to most hobbies. My Brother plays Guitar, and a new one will cost upwards of 1k easily

This has much more to do with production costs and craftsmanship than it does anything else. Cubing is only cheaper than most hobbies because the products take less material and tuning and can be quickly massed produced. $60 is great for a large, fully functioning, quality instrument, but it's not great for a small chunk of molded plastic and magnets that can be produced cheaply and quickly at an incredibly small fraction of the price

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Those are 2 different groups of people, though

The people who were fine with the ridges were the minority, compared to the large amounts of people who complained about being forced to have to use them to use the GTS3. The complaints only died down after the WRM released and people could choose, at which point the people who were fine with ridges could be heard a bit better

That's not true, almost everyone thought the ridges were whatever, and very few thought they were proactively bad

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
My dad is still wondering why he paid $75 for a 5x5
Edit: but not why he paid $2500 for a laptop
Well, a 5x5 is much more intricate than a 3x3 and the benefits of moving hardware on big cubes are much greater than 3x3. I paid 31 dollars USD for a pro shop MGC 5x5 and its very good despite the price. I also get your comment about complaining about a cubes price right after buying an expensive piece of tech. It just does not make sense to most people to spend that much on a cube, but those are also the same people that question buying a CCTV for Tetris or speedrunning. You gotta do what you gotta do to cut away at those times.

brododragon

Can’t you just get an emulator, oh wait i think there’s a rule against that
Using real hardware with a CCTV is the method with the least lag involved (or at least thats what I could gather from watching Phillip Lewicki talk about Tetris)
Speedrunning tech is just too complicated to summarize in a couple sentences.

Just wondering, is this a random debate thread or the Gan debate thread?
seems to be a lot of off-topic discs'

anyway, I feel they are great at making exorbitantly high-price tags for a good cube, but succs at making budget cube because they are also expensive for some people.

Cody_Caston

WCA
2019CAST13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering, is this a random debate thread or the Gan debate thread?
seems to be a lot of off-topic discs'

anyway, I feel they are great at making exorbitantly high-price tags for a good cube, but succs at making budget cube because they are also expensive for some people.
He’s not wrong with off topic

kubesolver

Premium Member
I started cubing a little over a year ago and since that time I have bought roughly 10 different 3x3 cubes from different manufacturers.

At the beginning with every cube I bought I felt that I get genuinely better cube so I started buying even more stuff to see if I like something even more.

I switch frequently between all my 3x3 and I can say with confidence that for me, for my turning style none of the other cubes matches what I get from the GAN XS.

If anyone believes that there is some other 3x3x3 that has a potential to be the best for me please let me know. I am willing to try that one out as well.

Gan XS,
Gan 354M v1,
Gan 356X v2,
Gan 354M v2,
Dayan Tengyun,
WRM. (but I can feel that in other hands it could be the best cube. Maybe if I wasn't used to gan so much)
Gan 356i,
The Valk Power 3M,
Kylin,
The Valk Power 3 without M

For some people Gan cubes just feel the best. I don't care about marketing, I don't care who invented what, I don't care too much about the cube price, I just care what feels best for me. And if there is enough people like me out there - it's fair for Gan to charge premium for that.

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
tbh the only gan cubes I love are the mega, well setup 251 (very unstable unless setup well), and 354m. I thought the most impressive things gan have done recently were the incredibly fast and light megaminx, and the smaller size of the 354m, which was the main of pretty much every cuber under 10, and OH mains for a lot of people