• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Gan Debate Thread

Sion

Have they innovated a bunch and done a lot for the cubing community? Absolutely.

Are their cubes excessively priced? Also absolutely.

Do they make good cubes? Very much so.

Are their expensive cubes for everybody? No way.

The only things they can really call their own are their magnet rods and numerical. The XS seems very much ripped off from MoYu, and all of their recent puzzles seem like copies of each-other.

Pyr

WCA
2016HAMI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They really innovated on the price of flagships, I'll give them that

I also really like how gross their business model is, it's really fascinating to watch from a distance

Also the X is ok

Love em or hate em, we all have an opinion on them. What do you think of Gan and their puzzles? Do they need to start making something unique and not just a bunch of extremely similar 3x3s, or is Mr. Gan today's Thomas Edison?

oh boy here we go

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
They have made hundreds of thousands of dollars from pretty much the same cube
I agree with that, especially when they are charging upwards of 50 dollars for a cube where the only difference from the last version is a slight tweak to customization and an older core that they have already used.

brododragon

They've just become a successful company with a premium reputation, so, why waste money on research and development when you can just make minor adjustments and have people buy your products just the same?

Cody_Caston

WCA
2019CAST13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with that, especially when they are charging upwards of 50 dollars for a cube where the only difference from the last version is a slight tweak to customization and an older core that they have already used.
Yeah but think about having to buy the plastic, having to buy all the bolts and nuts (no dirty jokes pls) and all the magnets.
They need to get their money back somehow, remember it’s business.

Pyr

WCA
2016HAMI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They have made hundreds of thousands of dollars from pretty much the same cube

Yea, GAN is in the business of making money, rather than innovative cubes

Their products from the ground up reek of pure advertising and trying to sell you on this sleek and innovative aesthetic they manufacture. I'd argue the honeycomb pattern is pretty symbolic of this, as it's actual practicality is questionable, but it looks beautiful on their site

??? Which events?

3x3 and Megaminx

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah but think about having to buy the plastic, having to buy all the bolts and nuts (no dirty jokes pls) and all the magnets.
They need to get their money back somehow, remember it’s business.
But at the same time YJ is pumping out a magnetic cube for 8 dollars, at the same time qiyi is making a magnetic cube for 10 dollars, and moyu is making a magnetic cube for 15.
??? Which events?
mega and 3x3