• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Dayan I is now officially called "Taiyan"

daniel0731ex

So in the designer's thread officially introducing their puzzles:
http://bbs.mf8-china.com/viewthread.php?tid=74153

He mentioned that the first Dayan 3x3 will now be called "Taiyan", to accomidate the numerous emerging 3x3 cubes under the Dayan name.
He said that it was indeed originally called "Dayan 3x3" at first, as this was their first-ever product. But now that they have produced numerous different puzzles, including several 3x3 models, the cube shall now be referred as "Taiyan", inspired by the mistranslation a long time ago.

The name "Taiyan", however, have a different meaning than the originally mistaken name. This new name means "Enormous Blaze", while the old mistranslation was simply mistaking "Big Goose" as "Old Goose".

I'll try to translate what he posted when I have time, but right now I am writing a pen mod tutorial.

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

so they went from taiyan to dayan to taiyan?

No, the original cube was never named Taiyan, only mistranslated as such. Now it is officially the Taiyan cube, while all others are still Dayan.

Does this mean that the official name is the Dayan Taiyan (as opposed to Dayan Guhong, etc)?

daniel0731ex

No, the original cube was never named Taiyan, only mistranslated as such. Now it is officially the Taiyan cube, while all others are still Dayan.

Does this mean that the official name is the Dayan Taiyan (as opposed to Dayan Guhong, etc)?

That's right.

DaYan TaiYan
DaYan GuHong
DaYan LingYun
DaYan LunHuei
DaYan ZhanChi

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suppose this at least helps clear it up. Is there a model before the TaiYan? Because we can still use the numbers by calling them DaYan, DaYan 2, DaYan 3, etc (to answer Calvin's question). I think we should use the names, because the GuHong has different versions as well and what not.