• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The 3x3x3 Example Solve Thread

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Wow, that LEOR solve has a super lucky start: 6 moves for Left Block and EOStripe!! Insane lmaooo

Next: B' F' L2 D2 F U2 B F2 U2 R2 U2 L' D U' L' U2 R U' F R2 B

I’m using my new amazing method again, now I need to come up with a name for it:

(y2)
L2 U2 L2 F L U’ R’ // ELF (7)
U’ R2 D’ R2 D2 R // DR (13)
U R2 U’ D’ R2 U’ l2 // DC (20)
U2 l’ U R’ D2 R U’ R’ D2 r2 x’ // CPEP (30)
U u2’ M’ U2 M’ // FS (35)

A 35 move solution is quite standard for this method, lots of RUD moves are as well.

Edit: I should make a tutorial and explanation video for this method.

Next: F2 D' R F' B2 U2 D' B' L2 U2 B2 L2 U2 D R2 D B2 U F2 L'

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
got sub 11 today

10.72s.

U2 B2 D2 L U2 F2 L F2 R' U2 L F' D' B U2 F2 U R2 B R D'

x2 y // inspection
L' U L U' L U L' // 1st pair
R F2 U' R' F R // cross
U' R U' R' U R' U' R // 2nd pair
y' R U R2 U' R // 3rd pair
U2 R U R' U2 R U' R' // 4th pair
F R' F' R U R U' R' // OLL
U' // AUF

This is for example solves, not for reconstructions. Try posting these in the reconstruction thread instead

D1zzy

Scramble: F2 D' R F' B2 U2 D' B' L2 U2 B2 L2 U2 D R2 D B2 U F2 L'

(CFOP)

Inspection: y z2
Cross: L' B L2 F2 U R2 D2
1st Pair: L U' L' U' R U R' U R U' R'
2nd Pair: L U' L' U d L U' L'
3rd Pair: U2 R U' R' U' L' U' L
4th Pair: U R U' R' U F' U' F
OLL: F R U R' U' R U R' U' R U R' U' F'
PLL: U' x R2 F R F' R U2 r' U r U2

Next Scramble: R2 U R2 U F2 U F2 U L2 U' R2 U B U L2 F2 R' D2 R2 B D

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, that LEOR solve has a super lucky start: 6 moves for Left Block and EOStripe!! Insane lmaooo
I cheated a bit because I used UL and UR, though the scramble was still really lucky!

I’m using my new amazing method again, now I need to come up with a name for it:
This looks interesting, is there a description on your method somewhere?

u can also treat it as a example solve, as simple as that.
You're supposed to solve the given scramble here though, this thread isn't supposed to be a place where people only post their lucky solves but where you can see how they approach any given scramble. That's also what the stickied post tells you to do, no word of "post any example solve":
Please use most recent unused scramble in the thread, then post a scramble for the next person, along with your written solution.

Neuro

From D1zzy's scramble:

Roux, 45 STM. Average FB, rest is pretty ugly
x2 D U' B F2 U R' F//FB
U2 r2 U R' U' R r U R2' U' r//SB
R U R' F' R U2 R' U' R U' R' F R U' R'//CMLL
U' M' U M U' M' U M' U' M U2 M//LSE

I attempted to use @WoowyBaby method as well, 37 STM
x2 F' L' R2 D B' r' F' r//EO Line on Left
D R2 D U2 R' D' R U' R D2 U' R//CO and finish E stripe
D' U R2 U' R2' U2 R2 D//Parallel Columns on D (made sure no parity)
M' U2 M'//Solve Corners and 2 U Edges
U M' U2 M' U D'//L4E

Here's what I deducted from solves I found:
1. Solve EO line on left; instead of DFDB, insert FLBL
2. Perform Corner Orientation (CO) while solving the E slice (FRBR)
***Not sure exactly how Woowy does this, but you can use the method outlined on the SSC page
3. Solve 2 1x1x3 columns on the bottom parallel to each other
***Execute similar to the Lin method on Square-1; try to avoid parity for simplicity
4. Solve corners and 2 U edges
***I don't know if it's done intuitively or if there's algs; solves shown so far seemed very simple regarding this step
5. L4E, done with mix of <M,U,u> moves

NEXT: L2 U2 B' R2 B' L2 U2 L2 B' L2 D' L' R U R' F2 L D' U

Neuro

Fantastic new method: ZZ-NEO

55 move solution with high ergonomics, lookahead, and much fewer algs than ZZ-A
x2 D F R U2 R B'//NEO Cross
D' R U2 R' d' R' U R D U' R U' R' L U' L' y' R' U' R U2 R' U R//F2L
R U2 R' U' R U' R'//EO+OCLL
U R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R'//ZBLL Subset O

Steps consist of:
1. NEO Cross
2. F2L
3. EO+OCLL
4. ZBLL subset

One major theme of this method is to put off EO until a later time when it's more easily recognizable and can be fingertricked easily w/o hurting the rest of the solve.

1. NEO Cross
As one major innovation in ZZ is to approach an EO Cross rather than an EO Line, it seemed necessary to include this in an optimized method. However, one clear issue was the lack of ability for most cubers to properly see how to construct an EO Cross, and even then these aren't usually pretty solutions. Then, it seemed necessary to take one of the elements out: EO or Cross. Unfortunately, the EO Line posed quite a few issues as did the EO 3/4 cross in terms of lookahead. Given the excellent lookahead EO Cross gave in F2L, it seemed this was more necessary to approach the solution. To bypass the issue of inspection then, we've foregone EO when solving the cross.

2. F2L
This is one of the major areas of difference from a normal ZZ solve. Because we haven't done EO, we can't use solely RUL moves to solve the puzzle. This may seem like a major drawback, but there are some advantages. For one, the lookahead is practically identical while solving, and a simplified cross allows us to look further into F2L during inspection. Also, the rotations and extra <F> moves we may have to do are only about as negative as regrips when solving pure RUL. Also, since regrips are less common compared to pure RUL, TPS can be improved quite a bit.

3. EO+OCLL
It's in this third step where we finally approach EO after much delay. However, instead of simply solving the EO of four edges on the U face, which is substantially faster than solving EO at the beginning of the solve, we can use this opportunity to simplify the rest of the solving process. We could simply do EO into ZBLL, but this algset is much too large for the average user. Instead, by solving EO and OCLL at the same time, we can not only one-look the step but also provide a significantly easier to manage last step. Because we have corners oriented on the top, recognition is easier and we drop from over 1,000 ZBLLs to a subset of 21.

4. ZBLL-O
This is the subset of ZBLL where all the corners are oriented. Also, the set is quite small (at 21 algs) with extremely simple recognition. In fact, one can recognize every case by looking at only two sides. Also, this is one of the most optimized ZBLL sets around, so it's quite easy to find good algorithms to use.

I hope you like the method and consider switching, I think this is the next revolution in the ZZ solving experience. It might be a little less efficient than normal, but the sheer speed and ease of execution/lookahead makes for a very fluid and fast solving experience.

To learn more and see my list of algorithms, check this spoiler
Happy April Fools Day!

NEXT: U L' B2 R2 F2 D2 L D2 B2 D2 L2 F' D2 F2 L2 U2 L U R

Last edited:

Etotheipi

I attempted to use @WoowyBaby method as well, 37 STM
x2 F' L' R2 D B' r' F' r//EO Line on Left
D R2 D U2 R' D' R U' R D2 U' R//CO and finish E stripe
D' U R2 U' R2' U2 R2 D//Parallel Columns on D (made sure no parity)
M' U2 M'//Solve Corners and 2 U Edges
U M' U2 M' U D'//L4E

Here's what I deducted from solves I found:
1. Solve EO line on left; instead of DFDB, insert FLBL
2. Perform Corner Orientation (CO) while solving the E slice (FRBR)
***Not sure exactly how Woowy does this, but you can use the method outlined on the SSC page
3. Solve 2 1x1x3 columns on the bottom parallel to each other
***Execute similar to the Lin method on Square-1; try to avoid parity for simplicity
4. Solve corners and 2 U edges
***I don't know if it's done intuitively or if there's algs; solves shown so far seemed very simple regarding this step
5. L4E, done with mix of <M,U,u> moves
I asked him how his method worked on his profile, and he gave a more or less full description, you were really close though.

Neuro

Just checked his profile, saw the outline. Personally I think that EOL to SSC's current method of CO and E slice solving is more direct/simple than Woowy's, but his is probably more efficient when done correctly.

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fantastic new method: ZZ-NEO

55 move solution with high ergonomics, lookahead, and much fewer algs than ZZ-A
x2 D F R U2 R B'//NEO Cross
D' R U2 R' d' R' U R D U' R U' R' L U' L' y' R' U' R U2 R' U R//F2L
R U2 R' U' R U' R'//EO+COLL
U R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R'//ZBLL Subset O

Steps consist of:
1. NEO Cross
2. F2L
3. EO+COLL
4. ZBLL subset

One major theme of this method is to put off EO until a later time when it's more easily recognizable and can be fingertricked easily w/o hurting the rest of the solve.

1. NEO Cross
As one major innovation in ZZ is to approach an EO Cross rather than an EO Line, it seemed necessary to include this in an optimized method. However, one clear issue was the lack of ability for most cubers to properly see how to construct an EO Cross, and even then these aren't usually pretty solutions. Then, it seemed necessary to take one of the elements out: EO or Cross. Unfortunately, the EO Line posed quite a few issues as did the EO 3/4 cross in terms of lookahead. Given the excellent lookahead EO Cross gave in F2L, it seemed this was more necessary to approach the solution. To bypass the issue of inspection then, we've foregone EO when solving the cross.

2. F2L
This is one of the major areas of difference from a normal ZZ solve. Because we haven't done EO, we can't use solely RUL moves to solve the puzzle. This may seem like a major drawback, but there are some advantages. For one, the lookahead is practically identical while solving, and a simplified cross allows us to look further into F2L during inspection. Also, the rotations and extra <F> moves we may have to do are only about as negative as regrips when solving pure RUL. Also, since regrips are less common compared to pure RUL, TPS can be improved quite a bit.

3. EO+COLL
It's in this third step where we finally approach EO after much delay. However, instead of simply solving the EO of four edges on the U face, which is substantially faster than solving EO at the beginning of the solve, we can use this opportunity to simplify the rest of the solving process. We could simply do EO into ZBLL, but this algset is much too large for the average user. Instead, by solving EO and COLL at the same time, we can not only one-look the step but also provide a significantly easier to manage last step. Because we have corners oriented on the top, recognition is easier and we drop from over 1,000 ZBLLs to a subset of 21.

4. ZBLL-O
This is the subset of ZBLL where all the corners are oriented. Also, the set is quite small (at 21 algs) with extremely simple recognition. In fact, one can recognize every case by looking at only two sides. Also, this is one of the most optimized ZBLL sets around, so it's quite easy to find good algorithms to use.

I hope you like the method and consider switching, I think this is the next revolution in the ZZ solving experience. It might be a little less efficient than normal, but the sheer speed and ease of execution/lookahead makes for a very fluid and fast solving experience.

To learn more and see my list of algorithms, check this spoiler
Happy April Fools Day!

NEXT: U L' B2 R2 F2 D2 L D2 B2 D2 L2 F' D2 F2 L2 U2 L U R

HAHAHAHA xD

I thought you were being serious for a second and I'm like..... "that's literally just CFOP" Lmaooooo

Nice April Fools joke that was great! Ahahaha fun

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel

alexiscubing