• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Texas Welder turned Cuber!

Subpar Cuber

Hi all! I'm a 29 year old welder from Texas that started cubing in October. Averaging around 45 seconds with a mystic gts3m.

Currently using CFOP with 4LLL. Working on getting my F2L faster before I try and tackle full OLL/PLL.

This forum has been a vital part of my journey the past couple months and I want to thank you all. Being an older cuber that's late to the game, I have much room for improvement. But with the vast knowledge you guys share on here, I'm confident my times will improve.

I'm excited to finally join this community, and to see what the future holds!

Mischiiii

Welcome ! You should definitely try going sub-30 if not sub-20 with 4LLL. The key to a good CFOP solve is a good cross and F2L.

why not both :p. I learned one PLL per week and now im Full PLL although my Pb is 38 secs.

I’m always wondering why people think you shouldn’t learn full PLL unless you are already sub 30/20. I think if you start PLL earlier you can’t train execution of the new PLLs for longer.
Of course I’m open to other opinions for this.

why not both :p. I learned one PLL per week and now im Full PLL although my Pb is 38 secs.

I’m always wondering why people think you shouldn’t learn full PLL unless you are already sub 30/20. I think if you start PLL earlier you can’t train execution of the new PLLs for longer.
Of course I’m open to other opinions for this.
Maybe full PLL but definitely not OLL.

Mischiiii

I think I’ll start OLL in two weeks. But I’m going to learn it like i learned full PLL. That means only learning one Alg per week. That shouldn’t hinder my progression too much i guess.

EDIT: do you practice other events besides 3x3?

Subpar Cuber

I think I’ll start OLL in two weeks. But I’m going to learn it like i learned full PLL. That means only learning one Alg per week. That shouldn’t hinder my progression too much i guess.

Not right now. Just ordered a 4x4 and skewb from cubicle though.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not right now. Just ordered a 4x4 and skewb from cubicle though.
Welcome! Just wait, this is how the big cube collection starts...Its really fun discovering all the different puzzles when you start out. I'm 29 also, the speed of the kids on the forum is amazing, they have so much to teach us! I think your plan is solid. Good F2L, then PLL, then OLL is a nice route that puts emphasis on learning cube mechanics and not just memorization.

Subpar Cuber

Welcome! Just wait, this is how the big cube collection starts...Its really fun discovering all the different puzzles when you start out. I'm 29 also, the speed of the kids on the forum is amazing, they have so much to teach us! I think your plan is solid. Good F2L, then PLL, then OLL is a nice route that puts emphasis on learning cube mechanics and not just memorization.

My wife doesn't share the enthusiasm that I have with cubing...without her my collection would've been out of control weeks ago.

The speed of some of these young ones on here is mind blowing! It's easy to get discouraged when you compare your times to their's. So I only try to beat my best time.

Cross and F2L is where I have the most room for improvement. My look ahead is garbage, but I'm setting a goal to be atleast sub-30 by February.

Thanks for the encouragement. It means alot.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...

My problem with learning algs before F2L is that you’re putting your priorities all wrong. Sure, learning algs is going to make you faster, but at a much smaller rate than learning better F2L techniques will. (That all being said, I use Roux, which is another 3x3 method, and if you find yourself wanting to get faster but you don’t know how because your fingers just can’t turn faster, give Roux a try. It has a much lower average movecount and is very fun to play with.)

Subpar Cuber

My problem with learning algs before F2L is that you’re putting your priorities all wrong. Sure, learning algs is going to make you faster, but at a much smaller rate than learning better F2L techniques will. (That all being said, I use Roux, which is another 3x3 method, and if you find yourself wanting to get faster but you don’t know how because your fingers just can’t turn faster, give Roux a try. It has a much lower average movecount and is very fun to play with.)

Yes! I feel this is why I'm having a hard time progressing with F2L. I got use to spamming algs without understanding how the pieces moved when I used certain ones. First time I tried intuitive F2L I was overwhelmed.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes! I feel this is why I'm having a hard time progressing with F2L. I got use to spamming algs without understanding how the pieces moved when I used certain ones. First time I tried intuitive F2L I was overwhelmed.
Take the algs you already know and just pay attention to how the corner and edge are "hidden" or "paired" up during very slow untimed solves. Seeing what the algs actually do the pieces will help you so much. Good luck with the improvement!

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Welcome to the cubing community!

I had a hard time with intuitive F2L when I first started it too. It took me a long time to get the hand of it. Like @EngineeringBrian said, you just need to do a bunch of slow solves to get better.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Be sure to check out the "Older Cubers Discussion" thread if you haven't already, lots of folks in your situation of just enjoying the process rather than chasing pure top speed! Don't worry, it's 'older' meaning 'not 15 years old', there are many 20-30-40 year olds enjoying the scene.

Subpar Cuber

Be sure to check out the "Older Cubers Discussion" thread if you haven't already, lots of folks in your situation of just enjoying the process rather than chasing pure top speed! Don't worry, it's 'older' meaning 'not 15 years old', there are many 20-30-40 year olds enjoying the scene.

Wathcing the progression of Marclel was an absolute breath of fresh air! I really appreciate you introducing me to that thread...it was much needed.