• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tempest 3V1 Development Thread (2016 Model leaked)

Who Should Tempest Work With on Mass Manufacturing?

• MoYu

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • QiYi

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • GAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuxin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • FangShi

• ShengShou

• Dayan

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Independent Company

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need some opinions.

Of course there will be a stickerless version and a black version, but should the third option be white, or should it be primary?
White would probably be a more popular choice than primary.
I don't know if it is worth putting out a white plastic version or any other color unless you get some good stats on how many sell compared to black and stickerless.

Galcor117

I think what you’re doing is amazing, but you seem very confident with yourself. I’m not trying to insult you, but I would think it would be smarter to focus on the 3x3 and actually makes plans for the 2x2 when/if the 3x3 is actually publicly manufactured.

Just my two cents.

Sion

I think what you’re doing is amazing, but you seem very confident with yourself. I’m not trying to insult you, but I would think it would be smarter to focus on the 3x3 and actually makes plans for the 2x2 when/if the 3x3 is actually publicly manufactured.

Just my two cents.

Interesting story!

So while the 3v1 was being made, I was learning CAD so I didn't need to be so reliant on others for help on my designs. I came across a 2x2 design tutorial, and decided to try it. I designed the 2x2 (and I made some early development on a budget 3x3; basically the same story as the 2x2), and I took a step back and realized with a couple extra tweaks that this might be an extremely good 2x2. So, it wasn't exactly a deliberate attempt to make a tempest 2x2, but it was rather a happy coincidence instead.

As for the 3v1, there should be some big updates with that soon. I just have a large amount of homework and wanted to focus on actual 3v1 development, so I wasn't able to post here as much as I would've liked to.

Sion

I figured I’d send a throwback image to just show how far I have come in the designing process.

This image was taken back in early 2016 when I just got into cubing. I knew very little about cube design back then, but it’s fun to see how much has improved since after years of trial and error and actually learning how speedcubes work. The cube has changed dramatically from when these sketches were made (they are almost, scratch that, entirely different cubes at this point), so I feel comfortable sharing this now:
A6150E0B-DF7F-443E-AF46-59552517E1B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sion

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone is curious of what is looks like now....

(sorry, no pictures of the mech. I’m witholding that from the public until I can secure a manufacturer and release date):

6C2C70A1-11B8-4982-8B06-877B5C9C1D3C.jpeg
As of now, it features a Gear compression system and an interchangeable magnet system. According to my estimations, its mass is approximately 83.25g.

Last edited:
C

Cubinwitdapizza

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone is curious of what is looks like now....

(sorry, no pictures of the mech. I’m witholding that from the public until I can secure a manufacturer and release date):

View attachment 11091
As of now, it features a Gear compression system and an interchangeable magnet system. According to my estimations, its mass is approximately 85g.
I kinda stopped on cad and got distracted *cough* and went to coding *cough cough* but I do wanna get back into it and maybe be your assistant or just make my own cubes lol.

Sion

I kinda stopped on cad and got distracted *cough* and went to coding *cough cough* but I do wanna get back into it and maybe be your assistant or just make my own cubes lol.

While I am not in need of an assistant right now, I would be more than glad to be a mentor for you and help you in making your own designs! :D

C

Cubinwitdapizza

While I am not in need of an assistant right now, I would be more than glad to be a mentor for you and help you in making your own designs! :D
Ok then I would definitely like that. Thanks!

Etotheipi

When it gets mass-produced, you should have a solve pamphlet but for whatever method you use, cause all the solving pamphlets are for CFOP or LBL.
Pizzabumpers. (Also, how has it progressed since last update?)

Sion

When it gets mass-produced, you should have a solve pamphlet but for whatever method you use, cause all the solving pamphlets are for CFOP or LBL.
Pizzabumpers. (Also, how has it progressed since last update?)

I'm going to see if we can have something more special than a method pamphlet.

Very good, Can't go into specifics, but things are looking extremely positive.

Sion

As of right now do you have physical access to a prototype?

Currently, there are two functional prototpyes.

The better one feels like a valk in terms of its stabilty, but less snappy.

both have slightly different mechanisms to current renderings of the puzzle. I can't speak too much about it now, but we will have more prototypes.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Currently, there are two functional prototpyes.

The better one feels like a valk in terms of its stabilty, but less snappy.
How did you produce the prototypes? I am also a big fan of the Valk Elite and Valk 3, Former being 3x3 main and latter being my OH and BLD main. I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

Sion

How did you produce the prototypes? I am also a big fan of the Valk Elite and Valk 3, Former being 3x3 main and latter being my OH and BLD main. I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

The current prototypes are made of single-part hollow bodied cubies printed with SLS technology. This however is very expensive and I can only do it when substantial changes are made. Hopefully the next prototype will include split cubies.

the next prototypes should be more sophisticated going forward.