• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tempest 3V1 Development Thread (2016 Model leaked)

Who Should Tempest Work With on Mass Manufacturing?

• MoYu

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • QiYi

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • GAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuxin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • FangShi

• ShengShou

• Dayan

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Independent Company

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sion

The slice moves seem a bit awkward in the video. Just me?
Also that cube is loud, or is it just the recording?

It is exceptionally loud, but it's probably more due to the texture of the cubies not being perfectly smooth. the insides do still have some print lines, though they aren't big enough to impact performance to a severe degree. I still imagine the cube would be much better off without them, though.

It's also PLA, so slices were a little awkward. they flow better with softer plastic, which PLA is really not soft at all.

My slice turns are also awkward because of turning style, so eh XD Not much that I can say. they weren't too bad though.

I also did a spring swap from MGC to YAN 3 springs after the video, which seemed to help fluidity.

Last edited:

Galcor117

The slice moves seem a bit awkward in the video. Just me?
Also that cube is loud, or is it just the recording?
all I know is that the audio is... simply bad
Unlike the other prototypes, this one is a cube I can definitely see people purchasing as a viable speedcube (honestly I didn't report on the second and third iterations because they were complete and utter garbage.)

Forward corner cutting is *just* under 60 degrees, and reverse is one cubie with little effort, and line to line with some effort.
Uh I remember you saying that the previous models were amazing.
Also can we actually see performance instead of some solves? I’m not against a video of solves, I just think that it’ll be much more helpful to see it in action than seeing you relentlessly praising it.

Also can we actually see performance instead of some solves? I’m not against a video of solves, I just think that it’ll be much more helpful to see it in action than seeing you relentlessly praising it.
Here's how to do it
1. Go to world's
2. Find FAZ
3. Get some solves from FAZ
4. Give us scrambles and times (with the video too)
We can compare it to his averages

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You really think I really would share a video that wasn't Tempest related? Ghawww! You should know me a little better by now after two plus years of development :p
Knowing you, I was expecting something early-insane-cuber-style announcement that the cube was in and that you had a video for all of us to see and maybe a poll to know whether or not to get it printed in white plastic.
And you didn't indicate that it was the cube in the video post. And you didn't change the title either.
All of which, based on how you've reacted to developments of your cube in the past, indicated to me that the cube wasn't the tempset.

The cube looks rather locky/catchy.
Yeah, and loud.

Sion

Knowing you, I was expecting something early-insane-cuber-style announcement that the cube was in and that you had a video for all of us to see and maybe a poll to know whether or not to get it printed in white plastic.
And you didn't indicate that it was the cube in the video post. And you didn't change the title either.
All of which, based on how you've reacted to developments of your cube in the past, indicated to me that the cube wasn't the tempset.

The cube looks rather locky/catchy.
Yeah, and loud.

It was printed with PLA and sanded, so it's more of the plastic that causes the issue. PLA isn't as soft, and consequently, makes it harder to break in. The video shown it before further breaking in and setup.

I also want to add that this prototype was non magnetic, and that the internal mechanism isn't perfectly flush do the presence of printing lines, so of course there will be catches and loud noises. It isn't exactly injection molded.

I want to just walk everyone through my development process to show the effort going into this cube other than just to do a small announcement of the final iteration like most other cube companies and say after the matter that it took a while to develop.

As to why I said the other prototypes were good, I was talking in terms relative to other 3D printed hardware I have tried. This iteration is much better in terms of raw performance relative to the other iterations, and this prototype is more comparable to a mid range speedcube.

I still want to strongly stress two things: this is my very first speedcube, therefore, still learning. What is further a challenge is my reason for designing the cube: it isn't just a new person developing a speedcube following other cubes as a strict guide line. There are a lot of internal mechanical differences to address something that I find to be an issue with most modern cubes. Therefore, most of my design choices are highly experimental. The issue with that is since there is little to no refference on how my design choices will impact the cube, only inferences and educated guesses, and prior prototypes that aren't finished puzzles I can really use.

Here are the issues with each prototype (excluding the 2016 prototype, which is irrelevant to the development of the most recent four.

Iteration one issues: decent forward cutting, no reverse. Great turning, but had some lockups that impeded some algorithms. Would make a great budget cube, however.

Iteration two issues: line to line reverse cutting, no forward cutting at all. Exceptionally flexible, but was still useable and solveable hardware. Grainy due to a lack of internal sanding.

Iteration three: same issues as the iteration two, but smoother due to being printed with shapeways. Though turning was better, it still suffered from a completely solid infill, which I suspect is due to my inexperience with the service.

Iteration four: significantly better. Reverse is a little jarring but it does manage line to line. Similar issues to the first iteration, but lockups are nowhere near as bad as I would've expected on a fourth iteration, largely due to a heavily restructured edge.

Plans for iteration five: Begin work on cubie separation. Shapeways printed internals with FDM printed caps and splits. This is to allow for a better internal flow and less lockups. Potentially round out the edge a bit more to make cutting less jarring and to ease up on corner cutting. I anticipate this will also be the very first magnetic prototype.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Galcor117

Also how does a cube have line to line reverse corner cutting but no forward (in talking about it. 2)

Sion

Also how does a cube have line to line reverse corner cutting but no forward (in talking about it. 2)

They require different mechanics. For instance, forward cutting relies on the cube temporarily expanding to make it go pass through. It also relies on a whole row staying in-tact to make sure the corner doesn't snag on the center due to the row not staying in tact. Reverse cutting relies more on the roundness of the internal mechanism to glide across itself. It doesn't require the cube to really spread apart like in forward cutting, just enough clearance for the corner alone to glide across the center.

Sion

If you want, I can produce a performance video once I get home and record it after my schedule.

Galcor117

yes
please

If you have enough time, then try to make an overview of previous prototypes as well, but focus on the current one.

Sion

yes
please

If you have enough time, then try to make an overview of previous prototypes as well, but focus on the current one.
I have a pre-existing video of the first iteration. The second one was salvaged a little, but the third iteration is essentially identical in terms of performance. Just need to assemble it. I can show the fourth iteration for sure. Just tell me what you want me to do in regards to the third iteration and fourth iteration when I record.

Galcor117

Maybe compare the audio (if u can fix it) to a popular cube today.
Show corner cutting, pieces, etc.
Basically review it

Sion

Basically review it

As discussed with the cubicle, I've decided to keep the mechanism under wraps. We agreed it is exceptionally unique compared to other cubes, therefore wouldn't be too safe to share without the chance it could be stolen. I'll admit, it does sound paranoid, but I want to play it safe.

I will do sound and such. Corner cutting I will do for sure. And if you want, I can compare it to a currently released cube.

Sion

Basically review it

I go over turning and corner cutting majorly.

Still keeping mech under wraps.

The material itself makes a sound comparison not too fair. I'll compare it later on, though.

Sorry this was so delayed. it took a while to figure out how to upload it. Finally figured out a way one month late LMAO

Sion

Just want to inform everyone that the fifth (and hopefully final) iteration of the 3v1 is being created. Not a large update.

Should the next prototype be stickerless, or keep it a solid color?

Hazel

Premium Member
If it's a prototype just do whatever is easiest.
Also, I might be acquiring a 3d printer sometime this October. If you need any help on the testing side of things, I'd be happy to assist! Of course, that would mean giving me access to the files so I can print them, so I completely understand if you aren't comfortable with that :p

Sion

I have a render of the fifth iteration in STICKERLESS! I don't need to mock up stickers with paint this time!

Iteration_5_3v1.png

Sion

Sorry for the double post, but the edge has a soecial cubie split idea I've had since I first began development of the 3v1. Corners have the standard four part design as most flagship corners do these days.

I also want to add that this will be the first cube in a while to not feature a full edge crescent, instead planned out to compliment certain design features I can't fully disclose yet.

Sion

I need some opinions.

Of course there will be a stickerless version and a black version, but should the third option be white, or should it be primary?