• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stupid idea for an unpoppable cube

Jason

WCA
2008GYAN01
I haven't actually implemented this idea yet, so I don't mind if it gets abused :)
DIY's are great cos they're springloaded, but that's equally their downfall, cos they pop. Store-bought Rubik's cubes are really great when their well broken in, but that's long. I was just wondering what made a store bought cube broken-in? Is it cos the rivet has loosened just enough to make the cube cut corners but without making it poppable? If so, why not repace the spring in a DIY with something rigid that allows for just enough movement (and maybe put a small bit of spring as well) so that the center cubie can never exceed a certain distance away from the core, but still be loose enough to be smooth and cut corners? That was my stupid idea.

apoplectic

YouTube
Visit Channel
Its an interesting idea, but I don't think it would go over very well. I think most cubers like to have the ability to change the tensions of the springs. If you could find a way to change the length of the rivit, then I think you might be on to something.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
The springs have a maximum compression, if you squeeze them enough the coils eventually touch each other and you have what is about as compressible as a steel tube. Creating an adjustable rivet is trivial, you just cut a slot spiraling around the shaft so that as you turn it one direction it is pulled into the core, turning it the other direction would cause it to push itself out. You could put a slot in the rivet head to facilitate turning it. I wonder why no one has ever invented an adjustable rivet like that. ;-)

I'm saying, I think it is possible to adjust the screws in a DIY to do exactly what you describe. :)

Last edited:

Jason

WCA
2008GYAN01
yeah, but if you load the springs that much, aren't you just going to end up with a stiff(ish) cube?

mrCage

Hi have a VERY good idea for a popless cube. But darn it wouldn't be possible to diassemble it. And yes it involves retractable parts on the edges. Actually it could be made nicely - but costly ;-)

- Per :cool:

hawkmp4

I have a stupid idea too. Work on your turning accuracy. Voila, unpoppable cube.
Can't remember the link, but if you can't improve your turning accuracy, I know I saw a solid metal cube somewhere on youtube :)