• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

stuck 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

spy1325

I recently got a replacement 4x4 center from cubesmith.com and a set of 4x4 tiles. i just de-stickered my cube, replaced the broken center, and retiled it. but for some reason, there is an inner axis that will not turn. I have it colored with white across from yellow, and along the (white green, yellow, blue) center axis it is stuck. it turns on the other axis (you could say the x and z axis turns fine, but y axis is jammed. i think that i may have spun a center wrong and it was causing a lock up on one of the y,w,g,b sides.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
It may be a mechanical thing, take a look inside. Did you lube it recently? I lubed my 5x5 the other day, and had the same symptoms as you just wrote, and it ended up being the silicone glueing an edge group together. I had to take the cube apart and use a tool to split them. Might want to check that.

spy1325

holy crap you are correct. it seems the solute i used to disolve the goop from the stickers glued a whole center group together. i broke it apart now it works perfectly thanks alot

spy1325

just my damn luck, another center piece broke off, seems that more the one was damaged or cracked when it was droped and it only now broke off.. im attempting to epoxy it back, and its setting right now, and i hope to sand off the excess glue in the monring, epoxy seems to be my best solution for strength oter then buying another center from cubesmith.com...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Ah, glad that was the problem, much easier to fix than a mechanical thing. That sucks your center broke again. Are you using Eastsheen or Rubiks? I have never had any problems with either of my 4x4 cubes.

spy1325

rubik's
it took a 2 foot drop off a desk and snapped a center off about 2 weeks ago. so i ordered a new center, should have gotten two.

spy1325

the glue on the center peice is set, its not strong enough to put in and use yet, but it has become sturdy enoguh to pickup, and iv noticed its a bit tilted in towards the center, this will undoubtedly cause some trouble down the road. i'll just see what i can do tomorrow when it finally dries. i've got an eastsheen 4x4 coming in the mail from cube4you that arrives sometime between the 8th and the 15th.. so if it donest work il have to deal till then.

spy1325

worked for about... 10 seconds once i had the cube back together, and then snapped back off. i just ordered a new center from cubesmith hopefully it comes within the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.