• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing in 2020

roller

WCA
2009MACK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im a Sports Journalism student, its commonly said in interviews that some players, especially the ones at the top level do not watch football at home. Could be reminder of stress as well as simply the fact that when youre at homr, the last thing you wanna see is something work related. But anyway, that isnt the point of this thread. The comparission with football is surely misplaced and out of scale, so what if we compare cubing to Darts. It is also mostly a pub sport, with the same process happening over and over again in time even shorter than solve of a cube, yet the sport is broadcasted, sponsored and recognised internationally.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
most of the people who watch football has no idea whats happening half the time. whether a team has good control of the pitch, good tactic etc. neither do they think they could ever imagine themself playing and winning in the footballers place
Do you actually know any football fans?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im a Sports Journalism student, its commonly said in interviews that some players, especially the ones at the top level do not watch football at home. Could be reminder of stress as well as simply the fact that when youre at homr, the last thing you wanna see is something work related. But anyway, that isnt the point of this thread. The comparission with football is surely misplaced and out of scale, so what if we compare cubing to Darts. It is also mostly a pub sport, with the same process happening over and over again in time even shorter than solve of a cube, yet the sport is broadcasted, sponsored and recognised internationally.

But Darts has 100+ years of history since it was played by soldiers and has become so popular in places like pubs partly due to the fact that it is such a simple game that anyone, of any skill level, can pick up almost immediately. This isn't ever going to be true of solving the Rubik's cube because it still requires a good amount of motivation and effort to actually learn to solve the thing with a beginner's method. Sadly this is beyond most people.

Cubing is such a niche hobby with a specific population type (middle-class 16-25 year olds) it's never going to be a mainstream 'sport.' I'd quit it if it ever did.

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
7 years?

That's a pretty short time frame imo. I like thinking about 2050. That's a pretty comfortable time to imagine, at least I will likely still be alive. At that time I think twisty puzzles will be fully 3D (downloadable and) printed at your desktop. As for the community and WCA stuff I don't think it will change a whole lot even in 40 years from now. I do think some events will be televised in a decade or sooner, even then I think the internet will replace all that (or already has to begin with).

Other than that stuff what puzzles should we hope to have as new official events by 2020? Will any be added at all? Or will we discontinue some more?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Just like football players don't really watch other games on tv.

Im a Sports Journalism student, its commonly said in interviews that some players, especially the ones at the top level do not watch football at home.

You see why we jumped on your 1st comment right? Football players turned into some players. I know journalists say/print what they want you to hear/read but maybe you could turn into one of the good ones that prints facts.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
This is an old thread, but it popped up as a related thread to the 2020 goals thread. The description of television coverage sounds remarkably similar to the Red Bull competitions. Sorry if that’s not worth a 6 1/2 year bump, but I think it’s interesting. Where do you think cubing will be in 2025 in this regard? 2030? 2050?