• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing help needed

Akash Rupela

WCA
2012RUPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi. I m from India. I just saw a cube in a stationary shop 10 days back and since then i have got addicted to it and really inspired by speedcubing videos. But the Cube really sucks(less than half dollar cubes which are plastic pieces are meant to suck anyway). Finger tricks dont work(almost impossible to turn with fingers). So Right now i solve the cross, intuitive f2l(from rob's youtube channel), 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL (though i will make sure i learn the complete last layer and f2l in around 20 days). Excluding the f2l, i dont have to do much thinking, just my hands work, but i still get averages of a little over 3 minutes . I feel i can do it in around 1 minute right now if not less.
So I was thinking about buying a lubix guhong, will that help in making me a good speedcuber? (of course i will be working hard on the algorithms too)

Akash

JyH

WCA
2011HORI01
Hi. I m from India. I just saw a cube in a stationary shop 10 days back and since then i have got addicted to it and really inspired by speedcubing videos. But the Cube really sucks(less than half dollar cubes which are plastic pieces are meant to suck anyway). Finger tricks dont work(almost impossible to turn with fingers). So Right now i solve the cross, intuitive f2l(from rob's youtube channel), 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL (though i will make sure i learn the complete last layer and f2l in around 20 days). Excluding the f2l, i dont have to do much thinking, just my hands work, but i still get averages of a little over 3 minutes . I feel i can do it in around 1 minute right now if not less.
So I was thinking about buying a lubix guhong, will that help in making me a good speedcuber? (of course i will be working hard on the algorithms too)

Akash

That will not happen...You can't learn 100+ algorithms in 20 days, and not have recognition or recalling problems. Don't buy Lubix. It's just overpriced, and the Ultimate is not very special. Buy your own GuHong and break it in, although cubes do not make you faster. You'll hear this a lot, but the best way to get faster is practice.

Erzz

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't buy a guhong if you don't have lube, get an Alpha-V.
The lubix ultimate guhong is a good cube yes. But pricey.

Cool Frog

That will not happen...You can't learn 100+ algorithms in 20 days, and not have recognition or recalling problems. Don't buy Lubix. It's just overpriced, and the Ultimate is not very special. Buy your own GuHong and break it in, although cubes do not make you faster. You'll hear this a lot, but the best way to get faster is practice.

Have you tried it. OK then.

H

Hershey

If you will get a Alpha V, disassemble it and spray the pieces with CRC silicon spray (if you have that in India).

Akash Rupela

WCA
2012RUPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I dont have much recognition problems with what i do right now, practice is crucial, but that is why i said something around a 60 second time.
Don't buy a guhong if you don't have lube, get an Alpha-V.
The lubix ultimate guhong is a good cube yes. But pricey.
If you will get a Alpha V, disassemble it and spray the pieces with CRC silicon spray (if you have that in India).
Price is not an issue. I can pay if its worth the price. But yes lube is a problem, i dont have lube, and i dont find any CRC silicon spray in India, so i just thought of giving preferance to a pre-lubed cube. (or i can order that too online)
Apart from that I am a newbie, I dont know very much . i will get an alpha V or simple guhong whatever you people advise me

Last edited:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if you're only looking to be around 60 seconds there is absolutely no reason to learn full OLL/PLL. Just use two look OLL/PLL and practice F2L, 60 seconds is nothing out of reach.

toker5

The standard Guhong is very slow out the box and needs lots of lube (at least my sample did). So if you're lazy like me, buy an Ultimate Guhong and have a perfectly good cube out of the box.

Pricey or not, I don't think $20 is much for a decent cube.

H

Hershey

By the way, learn full PLL before OLL. I get 18.5 seconds or less average and I still use 2 look OLL and full PLL.

Ltsurge

once again bumping an old thread but...
just work on f2l
i went from averaging 1:30 to 40 in 2 months by just practicing f2l
hell i didn't even learn a single oll or pll alg :)

i think my f2l times went from something like 1 min to 45s to 30s to now around 23s (all w/ cross)
Have fun

Incanumix

once again bumping an old thread but...
just work on f2l
i went from averaging 1:30 to 40 in 2 months by just practicing f2l
hell i didn't even learn a single oll or pll alg :)

i think my f2l times went from something like 1 min to 45s to 30s to now around 23s (all w/ cross)
Have fun

^^
What Itsurge said.
F2L affects your cubing time the most.
The faster your F2L, the faster your solving times.
PLL and OLL are just an extra once you've mastered F2L to the time you want.

And for the Ultimate Lubix GuHong.
I don't see why people call it expsive, it's only $19.99, and delivery is around $5.
That's pretty damn cheap for such a quality cube.