• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcube Design Discussion/Megathread (Discord Server for Designers!)

Sion

This is a general thread I wanted to create so we as a community could discuss the process of cube design and how it works. My hope is that this thread helps people learn and understand more about the process of how speedcube design works and what design elements are implemented to improve speedcube performance. I also want this thread to help inspire the creation of speedcube designs In the community as well.

Hmm... what is better for grip of the cube, frosted plastic or normal plastic?

I've always preferred the feel of stickers, so i'd say glossy is better. Companies lean more to matte now mainly to make scuffs less visible, though at the consequence of making their cubes more slippery.

Eventually, companies make the material of the cube using a way lighter material and feel a bit too slippery.

Also, how did my cube drop in a solve, and it is made using frosted plastic?

Last edited:

Sion

I think in some cases, glossy is bad. The Bell Pyraminx is extremely glossy and it's always slipping out of my hands during solves.

Pyraminxes are always tricky to grip. Let's be honest.

I know a couple companies make concavepyras, but I want to see if designers can make other gripping mechanisms.

Use a thin layer of rubber lol
So you don't lose grip of the cube while having only a thin layer of rubber on the surface of the cube.
It also makes the cube have a "premium" feel.

how would you propose to prevent the rubber from discoloring?

this is just an idea lol, also "maybe" you should put some dye material, it is "maybe" possible, just depends on the rubber.

Last edited:

brododragon

Just finished my first center prototype!
355119CE-6A77-49C9-9712-8CBB6BF38963.jpeg271A74B2-C818-4B96-9FC0-FD4626F9EB85.jpeg
I decided to 3D print because I don't really care about performance, and I can sand out imperfections when I do. I just did one center cap as a proof of concept. You assemble the pieces in picture 2 to look like picture 1, then superglue. There are 3 major problems:
1. It's too small. I need to scale it up. I'm probably going to fix this last, as it makes the print slower.
2. The 3rd piece in picture two had printing issues. If you look at this picture:
6FB8A6EB-1950-4CAD-B7B2-D76364F464BA.jpeg
you can see the filament got pulled down by gravity while it was hot. To fix this, I'll simply flip the piece.
3. The hole is to small. this might not be an issue, but it seems to be having to much friction.
4. The rod is to small. It can easily be bent and broken.

I'm gonna fix these tomorrow, and hopefully I can move on to the printing the entire core pretty easily. Also, from now on, to make things simpler, (refer to the second picture), I'm going to call the 1st piece the base, the second piece the rod (and the disk attached the disk), and the 3rd piece the cap.

I know a couple companies make concavepyras, but I want to see if designers can make other gripping mechanisms.
I'd like to see concave center pieces, as I believe they wouldn't ruin the feel, but make getting to home grip and staying there easier.

Sion

Just finished my first center prototype!
View attachment 11901View attachment 11902
I decided to 3D print because I don't really care about performance, and I can sand out imperfections when I do. I just did one center cap as a proof of concept. You assemble the pieces in picture 2 to look like picture 1, then superglue. There are 3 major problems:
1. It's too small. I need to scale it up. I'm probably going to fix this last, as it makes the print slower.
2. The 3rd piece in picture two had printing issues. If you look at this picture:
View attachment 11903
you can see the filament got pulled down by gravity while it was hot. To fix this, I'll simply flip the piece.
3. The hole is to small. this might not be an issue, but it seems to be having to much friction.
4. The rod is to small. It can easily be bent and broken.

I'm gonna fix these tomorrow, and hopefully I can move on to the printing the entire core pretty easily. Also, from now on, to make things simpler, (refer to the second picture), I'm going to call the 1st piece the base, the second piece the rod (and the disk attached the disk), and the 3rd piece the cap.

I'd like to see concave center pieces, as I believe they wouldn't ruin the feel, but make getting to home grip and staying there easier.

the underside of the center seems rather flat. I wonder how cubies are going to glide over it.

Sion

In cubes, the undersides of centers are usually curved (whether derived cylindricaly or spherically). Yours seems to be flat on the underside.

Did you make a base sketch for your cubies, or did you just make it on its own?

brododragon

In cubes, the undersides of centers are usually curved (whether derived cylindricaly or spherically). Yours seems to be flat on the underside.
Ohhh I see what you mean. I'm probably going to add a curve, this was just Testing the turning and assembly.
Did you make a base sketch for your cubies, or did you just make it on its own?
I just made it in it's own. I'm scared that I'm going to make a sketch and it's going to have crucial flaws that are going to force me to entirely redesign, so I'm just working on the core until that works and hopefully, I can just add the pieces.

Sion

Ohhh I see what you mean. I'm probably going to add a curve, this was just Testing the turning and assembly.

I just made it in it's own. I'm scared that I'm going to make a sketch and it's going to have crucial flaws that are going to force me to entirely redesign, so I'm just working on the core until that works and hopefully, I can just add the pieces.

Shoot me a Dm. Making cube sketches is very easy.

brododragon

Two iterations later, and it's almost ready for a full-on print:
51666452-AEF3-4337-BB6E-AF60908F060B.jpegDF6EFCD4-EFA1-4747-9879-1EE156592BEE.jpeg
There only problems are that the center is somehow too tall, the hole that the rod and disk go in is a bit too big (this is fine, just rattles), and the edge and corner have tiny symmetry issues. Also, I might make the rods connecting the different parts of the edges and corners a tad bit bigger. I already know how I'm going to do the core, so that should be good in a print or two. Otherwise, everything meshes great and turns fine!

Sion

What do people think of having kinetic parts within cubies (ie, rollers, slides, spring-loaded faces and tracks, etc.) being a new innovation?

brododragon

What do people think of having kinetic parts within cubies (ie, rollers, slides, spring-loaded faces and tracks, etc.) being a new innovation?
Something cool would be a little circular tunnel inside the centers with a ball bearing. Spring loaded turns would also be cool.

Etotheipi

Theres nothing in the WCA regs about not have a cube with gears and other mechanic stuff right? We should design a 3x3 that solves itself without electric parts, then we can use it in comp and set WRs. And have them be not counted because witnesses will snitch.