• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Speed Solving Roux As Beginner

rouxnapse

Hi I'm new to the forum (and in cubing years im about 2 weeks old). I can solve a cube using the beginners method and now that I have a speed cube I wanted to try a new method. As of yet I havent tried CFOP but I am interested in trying out Roux. I watched DeeDub's tutorials on using roux as a beginners method and my solves are quite slow. I was wondering if there are any places for help for beginners to speed solving with roux rather than just solving the cube? I did try to look at all the FAQs etc but anytihng was for getting sub 20 or faster and I'm not even sub 2 minutes yet. I will try CFOP but I seen quotes on a couple of threads of the hardcore speed solvers say they wish they had of tried roux earlier or switched to it so I thought I should give roux a proper go before trying CFOP. (I'm not too bad at memorisation so if I suck at all the methods I'd probably just stick to CFOP which is why I'm trying to try out other methods first).

Thanks in advance

rouxnapse

Thanks for the links Isaac. For block building should that just be practiced slowly? It is going to sound really noobie but I'm assuming its best to be colour neutral when building the left and right blocks?

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, you should aim for efficiency (as a beginner 15 moves for FB is ok, 20 for SB ) right now, speed will come later. For color neutrality it is recommended to be x2 y neutral (using 2 colors for top/bottom, and any by the sides i.e. I use green/blue on top/bottom and white/yellow, red/orange by the sides). The sooner you start practicing CN the best.

rouxnapse

So after 20 moves my left and right blocks should both be done?

Another silly question: when i was reading the differences between roux and CFOP there was a mention of how roux helps with CFOP. Are there any algorithms from CFOP that help with roux that would be good to know? When i was trying to find speed solving roux for beginners I seen a post on this forum that said there were about 9 algorithms for a beginners, 15 for intermediate level and 40+ for advanced "rouxers".

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, the 20 moves are just for second block, but if you can solve the blocks in less moves it would be great.
The way I did 2 look cmll was: 7 OLLs for corner orientation (the ones that are also used in 2-look OLL) and 2 PLLs J perm and Y perm for corner permutation.

rouxnapse

Time to get really noob - what is 2 look cmll, J perm and Y perm? I think PLL is permutating corner and OLL is for orientation? Are they algorithms you used once you had built you blocks? Are there algorithms for block building or should that be all intuitive?

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, you got it right, CMLL is the step where you orient and permit the corners, there are 42 different cases. you can solve them in 2 looks using one alg to orient (7 cases) and then one to permute (2 cases) or in one look with one alg.
There are algs for SB (you can find them here) most of them are very intuitive but some are very handy, specially for some annoying cases.

rouxnapse

what is J perm and Y perm? I'm assuming lookahead is just trying to plan out your first couple of moves during inspection or is there something more to it?