• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

special method to get to under 20 seconds.

McWizzle94

WCA
2008CHAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
well thank you Escher. you're great unlike than SOME people.

Oh OK, sorry we don't know how to get a complete newbie down to sub-20. I mean, we keep telling you to practice, but all you guys want is the "magic uber sub-20 method."

yeah. duh. who doesn't want that?;)

Everybody that has actually worked to get to sub-20. The people who don't make stupid threads that think there is a method to get down to sub-20.

yea. A lot of the sub 15 people use the same method as some of the 25 second people. the reason they are 10 seconds faster is because they practice.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just noticed something. This guy wants to average sub-20. But, he's barely sub-30. I can't really say he's sub-30, because he isn't sub-30 100%(Average-wise). He hasn't even achieved a sub-20 single. Someone's really greedy for speed. Guess who.

Fine, I'll tell you how I got to sub-20.
I practiced. I learned half the OLL's. The half that contains any opposite edges correctly oriented. I also practiced. I learned all the PLL's. I practiced a lot. I optimized some of my F2L algorithms. Almost done. I don't waste my time asking how to get sub-20. Why not? Because I'm too busy practicing. I actually listened to every helpful tip other cubers have offered. Except for slowing down to look ahead. I turn at full speed and force myself to lookahead. I don't use a carbon copy of anyone's method. I made my own modifications and additions to Fridrich.

McWizzle94

WCA
2008CHAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just noticed something. This guy wants to average sub-20. But, he's barely sub-30. I can't really say he's sub-30, because he isn't sub-30 100%(Average-wise). He hasn't even achieved a sub-20 single. Someone's really greedy for speed. Guess who.

Fine, I'll tell you how I got to sub-20.
I practiced. I learned half the OLL's. The half that contains any opposite edges correctly oriented. I also practiced. I learned all the PLL's. I practiced a lot. I optimized some of my F2L algorithms. Almost done. I don't waste my time asking how to get sub-20. Why not? Because I'm too busy practicing. I actually listened to every helpful tip other cubers have offered. Except for slowing down to look ahead. I turn at full speed and force myself to lookahead. I don't use a carbon copy of anyone's method. I made my own modifications and additions to Fridrich.

i think he
PRACTICED LIKE THE REST OF US SUB 20 PEOPLE

blah

brah
Oh and I just saw you wrote this:
so you're malaysian huh?just shut up. and btw,
"Asking questions like that *without a question mark at the end of the thread title* is ANNOYING and MISLEADING."
basically, to attract people. ;) have a good day.
I will make this very clear: Never tell people to just shut up again!
And admitting you used a bad topic-title "to attract people" means YOU should shut up and be thankfull you didn't get banned. (No, the smiley doesn't make it better).

Thanks Arnaud.

But it's more than just a "shut up". To me it's no different than saying "I don't care how good or bad you are, but you're [insert race], so whatever you've gotta say is bs, so shut up."

That.
Is.
So.
****ing.
RACIST!

I can't believe the first time I'm hearing such a statement in my life happens to be on the Internet. Thanks Syazwi, you so freakin' made my day.

----------

All that aside, there's something I'm really curious about. Sub-20 was the holy grail like, 5 years ago. There are what, 500 people who are sub-20 today? And that's only officially. So it's probably double that number unofficially, I'm sure I'm not the only sub-20 guy who's never been to a competition before. So sub-20 is not all that impressive anymore today. So why is everyone still aiming for sub-20 today? Why not go straight to sub-15? Or sub-13 (the "holy grail") for that matter?

Last edited:

McWizzle94

WCA
2008CHAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
All that aside, there's something I'm really curious about. Sub-20 was the holy grail like, 5 years ago. There are what, 500 people who are sub-20 today? And that's only officially. So it's probably double that number unofficially, I'm sure I'm not the only sub-20 guy who's never been to a competition before. So sub-20 is not all that impressive anymore today. So why is everyone still aiming for sub-20 today? Why not go straight to sub-15? Or sub-13 (the "holy grail") for that matter?

I think people are just aiming to get faster. In my case, I was 21 seconds and my goal was sub-20. Now I am 17-18 and my goal is 16 seconds. When I achieve 16 I will probably go for sub-15, and so on.

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think people are just aiming to get faster. In my case, I was 21 seconds and my goal was sub-20. Now I am 17-18 and my goal is 16 seconds. When I achieve 16 I will probably go for sub-15, and so on.

Plus, 20 is a nice number; it has a zero at the end. As said by McWizzle, most people just want a better time; if they're anywhere inside the 20s, they want to beat 20. And since it was the holy grail, many people know that getting sub-20 is pretty special (now, it's not as much anymore). Therefore, since humans are, for the most part, hard to change in such matters, they still go for sub-20 rather than sub-15.

H

hdskull

Sub 20 is still special to me, because sub 20 OH average hasn't been achieved by many people.

Btw, I never see fast cubers say "give me the secret to be 5 seconds faster".

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It once was true that sub-30 was at least respectable. So I shot for that. I didn't necessarily want to be good, just respectable.

Now, sub-30 is no longer respectable. So I'm shooting for sub-20 now. It seems so impossibly far away, but I'm shooting for it nonetheless. By the time I finally get there, it will probably be necessary to be sub-15 to be respectable. :) :) :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
As old as I am, I'm not sure if I'll live long enough to make sub-20. But I'll try. :)

And Charles, you're one who got to witness my pitiful attempt in Cincinnati, so I'm guessing you're really likely to think I'll never make it. But honestly, I'm really not as bad as I was there!!!

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe you Mike. Nerves got to me too. I only say that to avoid your senile rage.:p But seriously, you need to focus on 1 or 2 events for maybe a week at the most. And try not to focus on BLD. You can do some on the side, but get some speed events in.

H

hdskull

Yea mike, I bet if you transfer all the time you spent on BLD to speedsolving, you'd probably be Nakaji status, haha.

heya people.
i need to ask the people whose average of under 20sec.
do you guys have any special method or move to get to this kind of time?:confused:
because i am stuck with 20s. errgh.
any idea?

Here's a new one. Stop making these retarded threads and spend time practicing. There are some of us who have the natural ability to make our practices actually mean something. Some of us have to spend time forcing ourselves to lookahead and learn algorithms.

To answer your only understandable question: Methods - Petrus, Roux, Fridrich, possibly Heise, beginner's method, Waterman.

As for me: Fridrich - intuitive F2L, 1-2 look OLL, 1-look PLL

The uber method: ZB cross(any volunteers?), Fridrich F2L, ZBLL

Nice Fridrich bias.

ROOT

well first of all, use fridrich. Second of all, its possible to get sub-20 with beginners method. I think Erik got a sub-20 avg with the beginners method