• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Solving a 4x4 by reducing it to a 2x2?

DAoliHVAR

so this has been intriguing me for quite a while now.
i tried to reduce it like this once,but most i could get was 2 reduced corners

anyone ever tried this and succeeded
i am deffinetly not the first one to have tried it i believe

DAoliHVAR

can anyone make a video for a noob like me,
not a guide,no need to even talk just a video of the solve,i'd love to see it

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
how far did you get?

1st attempt ~ 57mins, off by centers :/ made an error with last two center algs, didn't think that bit through.
2nd attempt stopped memorization after 10 mins because I had wing parity, and basically there's nothing you can do to solve it before solving the final 2x2x2 stage :mad:

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
15:21 [12:38] first try doing this BLD (4BLD wings/centres to reduce to 2BLD, then 2BLD). This was pretty fun, I recommend doing it. I'm not good enough at 2x2 to finish with a speedBLD, bonus points if anyone does that.

Once you realise how to trace it's not too bad, Ollie seemed to struggle tracing wings but he will figure it out :p.

DAoliHVAR

wait did i post in the bld section or smth?
why are you all doing it bld lol
im a big noob so sorry if i don't understand

Dapianokid

Solving it like a 2x2 is possible intuitively for the first 4 corners without any kind of breaking up the corners. By careful placement (2 in the back) I was able to get 6 without commutators.
It's not practical, mayne.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this in ~6 minutes once. (Sighted) Used commutators and stuff.

It's painful. There's just no point in reducing the 4x4 to an unsolved 2x2. It just makes a lot more sense to reduce it to a solved 2x2 and get a 2x2 skip every time. In other words: you might as well just solve the thing directly.

Last edited:

DAoliHVAR

lol
well i see now that its all possible and obviously not that hard if you have knowledge of comutators and all that.(which i don't)
here's another fun one
5x5 reduced to 3x3 with corners being(corner,3 centers,3 edges) edges being(center edge center) and centers being actual centers
this was also a challende given out by super antonio vivaldi

Dapianokid

Vivaldi died long ago, and cubing was so uninvented back then your grandchildren will feel this slap: *slap*
lol anyway...
This is fun to do but much more challenging, especially since I'm not good at edge commutators. I solve this "deep" 5x5 for better tps and such, but it's not worth it to me to try to solve it this way. I can intuitvely solve all the corrensponding peices as a 4x4 and use commutators to solve the midges and mobliques (middle but not middle centers), but not this way very easily.

Anybody wanna solve a 7x7 as a 5x5 and such? ;p