• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Solution to cubing in bad lighting?

elimescube

WCA
2007COMP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen several YouTubers who could use a pair of those. Could these be used in case of a venue's inability to comply with article 7c)* of the WCA regulations? I heard that Carnegie Mellon Spring 2009 had some seriously poor lighting.

*7c) Lighting of the competition area needs special attention, with preferably white light, so that competitors can easily distinguish the colours of puzzles.

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think light from near the eyes would give better results. That way if you can see the cube, the cube will be lit too. With lights above the elbows, the sides of the cube that face away from the elbows would not be lit, so your eyes might have trouble seeing those faces as you look down on them. So, a minor's helmet might work better, in my opinion. (Or glasses with lights on the frame.)

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen several YouTubers who could use a pair of those. Could these be used in case of a venue's inability to comply with article 7c)* of the WCA regulations? I heard that Carnegie Mellon Spring 2009 had some seriously poor lighting.

*7c) Lighting of the competition area needs special attention, with preferably white light, so that competitors can easily distinguish the colours of puzzles.

you heard right. I couldn't see jack. Had fun though.

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel

2i) While competing, competitors must not use sound equipment, other electronic equipment (like walkmans, dictaphones or additional lighting).

Reading regulations ftw.