• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Software Upgrades Today

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
bobthegiraffemonkey
When you click on a thread now, it takes you to the first unread post, right? If you want to jump to the last post, you can click on the date of the post (such as 19 minutes ago). Can you explain more of what change you'd like?
Nope, here's an example.

Hovering over link:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/the-square-1-example-solve-game.44177/unread

Where it actually takes me:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/the-square-1-example-solve-game.44177/

Jump to unread:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...example-solve-game.44177/page-16#post-1298298

Should take me to a post on the middle of the last page, instead I get to the top of page 1.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Thread starter #22
For the "where it takes me", is that for a thread you haven't yet read, or one you've already read? Also, is this on the "New Posts" link?

WCA
2018SKAL02
I'll see if i can disable these. It's strange that Alt-1 transfers you back to the tab and activates 1 without pressing 1 again. Can you adjust your hotkeys?
The tab navigation keys are built into my browser, so it's not something I can easily change. I experimented a bit more with this issue, and it seems to be a consequence of the forum software triggering navigation on the "keyup" event, without checking that a corresponding "keydown" event was received.

Whether the navigation is falsely triggered depends on the order in which I press/release the "Alt-1" sequence. If I switch to the speedsolving forum tab via the commutator [Alt, 1] (i.e., release "1" last), the forum receives a "keyup" event for "1" and navigates away. If I instead use the conjugate [Alt: 1] (i.e., release "Alt" last), the forum receives "keyup" for "Alt", which it ignores.

Another thing I discovered is that the secondary navigation (New posts, Find threads, Watched, Search forums, Mark forums read) is bound to Alt-1, Alt-2, etc. Setting aside the issue of switching browser tabs (assume I only have one tab open), these hotkeys are awkward to use because they suffer from the same issue with keypress order. The commutator [Alt, 1] incorrectly triggers the "1" hotkey (navigating to Home), whereas the conjugate [Alt: 1] triggers the "Alt-1" hotkey as intended, and navigates to New Posts.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
bobthegiraffemonkey
For the "where it takes me", is that for a thread you haven't yet read, or one you've already read? Also, is this on the "New Posts" link?
It's one I have read, but not since the recent forum change. It seems like if I have read any of it in the past few days it works correctly. I'm clicking the thread title in the "new posts" section.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Thread starter #25
The tab navigation keys are built into my browser, so it's not something I can easily change. I experimented a bit more with this issue, and it seems to be a consequence of the forum software triggering navigation on the "keyup" event, without checking that a corresponding "keydown" event was received.

Whether the navigation is falsely triggered depends on the order in which I press/release the "Alt-1" sequence. If I switch to the speedsolving forum tab via the commutator [Alt, 1] (i.e., release "1" last), the forum receives a "keyup" event for "1" and navigates away. If I instead use the conjugate [Alt: 1] (i.e., release "Alt" last), the forum receives "keyup" for "Alt", which it ignores.

Another thing I discovered is that the secondary navigation (New posts, Find threads, Watched, Search forums, Mark forums read) is bound to Alt-1, Alt-2, etc. Setting aside the issue of switching browser tabs (assume I only have one tab open), these hotkeys are awkward to use because they suffer from the same issue with keypress order. The commutator [Alt, 1] incorrectly triggers the "1" hotkey (navigating to Home), whereas the conjugate [Alt: 1] triggers the "Alt-1" hotkey as intended, and navigates to New Posts.
Noted, thanks, I'll see if I can disable this.

It's one I have read, but not since the recent forum change. It seems like if I have read any of it in the past few days it works correctly. I'm clicking the thread title in the "new posts" section.
The issue may be from a cookie reset during the upgrade. Post upgrade, is it working as expected or is there something you want changed?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Thread starter #26

I reached out to Xenforo and they said it can't easily be disabled. This causes a few headaches. If enough people have issues with this, I'll get a custom fix done on it, but for now, it's best to find a work around on your end. Apologies about this.

WCA
2018SKAL02
I reached out to Xenforo and they said it can't easily be disabled. This causes a few headaches. If enough people have issues with this, I'll get a custom fix done on it, but for now, it's best to find a work around on your end. Apologies about this.
Thanks for looking into it. I wrote a TamperMonkey script to work around the issues. It provides more consistent behavior for the digit hotkeys by coordinating key modifiers between the keypress/keyup events, and by replacing Alt-# with Ctrl-# to avoid conflicting with my browser's tab-switching hotkeys. The source is here: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...aa435281d33fd971/speedsolving-hotkey-fixer.js

This way I still have access to the hotkeys, but without the spurious triggering.