• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

should wca use tiebreaker for tied world record?

WCA
2022WEIP01
I will confess that it's a little weird that, for world record averages, we don't do tiebreakers but, when deciding podiums at competitions, we use fastest single as a tiebreaker. That seems a little inconsistent.
That's because of prizes.

Also, I am in favour of a tiebreaker, though I don't know how. Maybe 3 dp or that person's 2nd fastest average?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
most logically it's a shared WR. if it belongs to one person it would be Tymon since Max technically didn't break the record and the older one is more impressive. but a tiebreak system based on faster single is also reasonable.

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will confess that it's a little weird that, for world record averages, we don't do tiebreakers but, when deciding podiums at competitions, we use fastest single as a tiebreaker. That seems a little inconsistent.
It is not inconsistent. For WR averages, the 'question' asked is: 'What is the best average of 5 ever gotten in a competition?', whereas with competition podiums, the question asked is: 'Whose performance was best during the final round of this competition?'. In the final round of a competition, everyone gets the same scrambles, so it is safe to say the person with the fastest best single performed better, even when the average is the same. With WR average, the fastest single doesn't matter, as it is literally in the definition of an ao5 that the best single is removed.

Burrito

WCA
2022SOPK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure Max beat Tymon by the third decimal place ( which I could be wrong, in which case, Tymon deserves the title).

In the event of most recent, that is a matter of personal opinion, in which I vote for Max. Though I could see the argument of "Tymon got it first so he deserves it," but that won't change my mind. And me trying to convince you that my opinion is right, won't change your opinion, since you believe yours is right. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right, but that doesn't matter. It's called "personal opinion" in the since that we personally believe ourselves to be right. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right, but, we must accept that not everyone thinks the same as we do. Trying to change each other's minds is pointless and a waste of time. You think Tymon deserves the record, I'm fine with that.
The fact of the matter is, trying to vocally debate who gets the tie breaker is useless, which is why, I think the tie system should exist. And, unless a physical tiebreaker race is decided on (which is unlikely), the tie system should stay. Let's leave it at that.
i heeard tymon won by .0001 or something. personally, i like tymon's record since i like his efficiency. max just turns fast and gets good times; it takes more work to be efficient (or getting to be efficient)

AJT17

WCA
2022TELF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i heeard tymon won by .0001 or something. personally, i like tymon's record since i like his efficiency. max just turns fast and gets good times; it takes more work to be efficient (or getting to be efficient)
When scrolling through this thread and seeing it has been a couple months without activity, I was just thinking it better not be Burrito I see, and of course I saw none other than Burrito the reviver of threads.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
As far as I’m aware, the reason we don’t use the third decimal place is becuase we don’t know
if it’s 100% accurate, although there may be another reason

Either way, I have no issue with the idea of a tied WR. Many other sports/activities (no need to debate if cubing is a sport) allow for ties in their records. To arbitrarily pick the ”better” record would be, in my opinion, quite silly. The only thing that should have a tiebreaker is maybe the winner of a comp

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
As far as I’m aware, the reason we don’t use the third decimal place is becuase we don’t know

Either way, I have no issue with the idea of a tied WR. Many other sports/activities (no need to debate if cubing is a sport) allow for ties in their records. To arbitrarily pick the ”better” record would be, in my opinion, quite silly. The only thing that should have a tiebreaker is maybe the winner of a comp
They already do that. Faster single wins the comp if the average is the same to 2dp

NigelTheCuber

WCA
2022PHAN03

The reason is because some comps using gen-2 timers do not have last digits.

Marz

Oh yes, This is a very simple change in my opinion. Make every solve go to the hundredth of the second. Example: Max Average might be 4.869 And Tymons could be 4.862

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Oh yes, This is a very simple change in my opinion. Make every solve go to the hundredth of the second. Example: Max Average might be 4.869 And Tymons could be 4.862

I'm gonna assume you meant thousands of a second, since hundredths of a second is x.xx. If you were to read back a few posts, you'd see that this has already been suggested. In addition, you'd also see that the WCA has reasoning for not making times go to thousands of a second, which is that the speedstacks timers are proven to not have 100% accuracy at the third digit. (That info courtesty of a WCA delegate)

Marz

I'm gonna assume you meant thousands of a second, since hundredths of a second is x.xx. If you were to read back a few posts, you'd see that this has already been suggested. In addition, you'd also see that the WCA has reasoning for not making times go to thousands of a second, which is that the speedstacks timers are proven to not have 100% accuracy at the third digit. (That info courtesty of a WCA delegate)
Oh, thanks for correcting me.