• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should Square-2 be an Official Event?

Should Square-2 be an Official Event?

• Yes (Please say why)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • No (Please say why)

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to make something clear right off the bat - I hold no opinion on this whatsoever. I was just curious to see what other people thought.

Square-1 has been an official event for over a decade. It is one of the most interesting puzzles, as it is the only WCA event which contains a shape-shifting puzzle (although it doesn't shift very much)

After seeing pictures of the Square-2 (which for those of you who don't know is a Square-1 with the corners cut in half), I began to wonder: With the extra challenge of matching the corners, would people want to have Square-2 as an official event alongside it's predecessor?

Like I said, I don't have an opinion as I don't even own a Square-2, but I was just wondering what you guys thought.

EDIT: Picture included for those who still don't know

bac4f7452086a1ff4003bb81ff6a32e0.png

Last edited:

LucidCuber

WCA
2006AUST01
I didn't even know what a square-2 was until just now. It's certainly better than the magic, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

WCA
2012PATE01
I think the WCA should put something like this is in, a new event which isn't too similar to an event already, so that people that aren't great at all the events, could be good at a new event.

yeah but comp like us nationals, asian championships, euros and worlds have to have all the events and adding another event will cause time problems...

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
square 2 is actually really similar to square 1 in terms of solving...

I know, but having a new event might encourage slower people at 3x3 to do it. When Skewb was added, no one was amazing at Skewb in the UK, so I decided to practise more and try to become the best at it, I assume this also happened to people like Jonek. It would mean that people could just come out of nowhere to break the WR. I like the idea of this happening so I think it should happen again. Also, having another event might prevent competitions having other events, but it worked out OK with Skewb, so why should it be different?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I know, but having a new event might encourage slower people at 3x3 to do it. When Skewb was added, no one was amazing at Skewb in the UK, so I decided to practise more and try to become the best at it, I assume this also happened to people like Jonek. It would mean that people could just come out of nowhere to break the WR. I like the idea of this happening so I think it should happen again. Also, having another event might prevent competitions having other events, but it worked out OK with Skewb, so why should it be different?

With all that in mind don't you think those great at square-1 already have a massive advantage and something else would be a better choice?

I personally don't think we need more events nor lose any. I would vote for feet to be removed but seeing how much media attention it gets I no longer think it's a good idea to remove it.

I would swap pyra for corner turning octahedron when the WRs have been stable for long enough because it's basically the same but takes a little longer. That same reasoning could be used to swap Sq1 for Sq2 in the future.

Last edited:

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
square 2 is actually really similar to square 1 in terms of solving...
i have never touched a SQ-2, but I guess you could solve it like this: Connect the corners the right way, solve like SQ-1 = don't add much new.
This really irritates me. We might as well remove 4x4x4: Connect the corners the right way, solve like a 2x2x2 = don't add much new.
Seriously there are more ways to solve a square 2 than just reducing it to a square 1. Just because barely anyone has explored the puzzle much doesn't mean it doesn't "add much new".

Last edited:

maps600

WCA
2013HELM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This really irritates me. We might as well remove 4x4x4: Connect the corners the right way, solve like a 2x2x2 = don't add much new.
Seriously there are more ways to solve a square 2 than just reducing it to a square 1. Just because barely anyone has explored the puzzle much doesn't mean it doesn't "add much new"

Agreed.