• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should Mirror Blocks be added to the Weekly Competition?

Should Mirror Blocks be added to the Weekly Competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Four polls are being posted; note that only a maximum of two events will be added to the weekly competition.

This thread will be open for 15 days.

Vote yes ONLY if you BOTH want the event added AND intend to compete in it if possible.

Vote no if you specifically don't want the event added.

If the event receives at least 22 Yes votes (10% of the weekly average of participants) AND ALSO has more Yes votes than No votes, and is one of the top 2 events chosen, it will be added to the competition.

Responses other than Yes or No will not have any impact on the decision. Your response can be changed up until the poll closes.

For mirror blocks, I feel like there was some doubt as to the intention of this puzzle being added in some cases, so I am offering options to vote to solve it blind with no inspection, versus solving it with no restrictions (15 second inspection, sighted, as a normal solve), versus a yes vote to adding it as an event under either format.

So, please vote with the initial Yes option if you would like the event added and intend to compete in it whether it is a normal sighted event or a blind no inspection event.

Vote with the third option (Yes) if you want the event added and intend to compete in it, but only if it is with no restrictions, and you do not intend to compete in it if it is specified to be blind with no inspection.

Vote with the fourth option (Yes) if you want the event added and intend to compete in it, but only if it is blind with no inspection, and you do not intend to compete in it if it is specified to be with no restrictions (sighted, with 15 second inspection time).

I hope people will accept this odd approach; I'd like to think it gives the best opportunity for people to express their desires for this event.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like both mirror blocks and mirror blocks BLD no memo. Is there a choice for that?
Both because of the confusion that it might cause, and because I'd like greater variety than having both added as the only two new events this year, I think I will not provide such an option. I'm sorry about that. If this event should happen to get enough votes to exceed the minimum of 22 votes and exceed the number of votes of all the other events, I will still only add the version of this event with the most yes votes, and the other version will have to wait until next year to be added.

So if you really like both events and want them both added, your best bet is to choose the first vote, so your vote will count for either of the two versions of the event. Unfortunately, you still won't get more than one of them this year. But there's always next year...

Realistically, I probably should have only provided a poll for solving with no restrictions, since it seems that's the only version that got enough votes to make the poll. But I wanted to provide the option in case some people who voted for mirror blocks without any comments might have actually meant blind no inspection.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep in mind: skewb is actually a shape mod of the pyraminx

So, it's not like we don't competitively speedsolve shape mods already

That's a pretty loose definition of a shape mod then, as the Skewb repurposes many of the piece types of a pyraminx - tri-centers become half of the corners, where the other half of the corners are not even pieces on a Pyraminx, tips no longer exist, and edges lose orientation. A mirror blocks is a literal shape mod of a 3x3x3 and can be solved the exact same way.

lol the wiki page you referenced cites Ruwix for calling it a shape mod, and we all know how completely terrible Ruwix is as a resource.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
That's a pretty loose definition of a shape mod then, as the Skewb repurposes many of the piece types of a pyraminx - tri-centers become half of the corners, where the other half of the corners are not even pieces on a Pyraminx, tips no longer exist, and edges lose orientation. A mirror blocks is a literal shape mod of a 3x3x3 and can be solved the exact same way.

lol the wiki page you referenced cites Ruwix for calling it a shape mod, and we all know how completely terrible Ruwix is as a resource.

*Uses ruwix*

Oh yeah its horrible

CubicOreo

Man, should’ve known better than to trust wikipedia...

But I guess what I’m trying to say is: shape mods do change the original puzzle. No matter how similar mirror cube and 3x3 are, they’re still not exactly the same and are solved a little differently (shapes as opposed to stickers). Though the steps to solving them are the same, mirror cube adds a challenge simply because the pieces are different. I’m fairly certain everyone is slower at solving mirror cube than 3x3 (although I suppose that’s partly because hardware, way less people speedsolving it, etc). Now I can understand not wanting to add something like octagonal barrel on the site (I woudn’t want to either), but I don’t think it’s really fair to not add mirror cube to the site just because it’s a shape mod.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Man, should’ve known better than to trust wikipedia...

But I guess what I’m trying to say is: shape mods do change the original puzzle. No matter how similar mirror cube and 3x3 are, they’re still not exactly the same and are solved a little differently (shapes as opposed to stickers). Though the steps to solving them are the same, mirror cube adds a challenge simply because the pieces are different. I’m fairly certain everyone is slower at solving mirror cube than 3x3 (although I suppose that’s partly because hardware, way less people speedsolving it, etc). Now I can understand not wanting to add something like octagonal barrel on the site (I woudn’t want to either), but I don’t think it’s really fair to not add mirror cube to the site just because it’s a shape mod.

If Skewb is a shape mod though, then I think you can say that any 4 axis puzzle is a shape mod of a pyraminx, they just added some piece types compared to the original Pyraminx. Yes, there are sometimes modifications to how those pieces function, like centers having an orientation on a 3x3x3 shape mod, but the overall solving approach is the same. This is even less applicable to mirror blocks, and I don't think that it really adds anything to the current events other than ergonomic difficulty.

But to provide even more reasons to not add this event, my concerns center around what exactly defines a mirror blocks puzzle. To pose a few ideas:
  • How "bumped" should the sides be?
  • How do you provide a consistent set of guidelines to determine what is a legal/illegal puzzle?
  • In what direction do they get bumped?
  • Some mirror blocks puzzles out there have some sides with equal depth. Is this legal? I'd say that this isn't a legal puzzle, but it could easily be interpreted as one by competitors for this competition.
There's a visual/tactile recognition and ergonomic tradeoff to "bumping" the puzzle more or less, but I'd think that what exactly defines a valid mirror blocks puzzle should be defined, and this hasn't ever been done.

CubicOreo

If Skewb is a shape mod though, then I think you can say that any 4 axis puzzle is a shape mod of a pyraminx, they just added some piece types compared to the original Pyraminx. Yes, there are sometimes modifications to how those pieces function, like centers having an orientation on a 3x3x3 shape mod, but the overall solving approach is the same. This is even less applicable to mirror blocks, and I don't think that it really adds anything to the current events other than ergonomic difficulty.

But to provide even more reasons to not add this event, my concerns center around what exactly defines a mirror blocks puzzle. To pose a few ideas:
  • How "bumped" should the sides be?
  • How do you provide a consistent set of guidelines to determine what is a legal/illegal puzzle?
  • In what direction do they get bumped?
  • Some mirror blocks puzzles out there have some sides with equal depth. Is this legal? I'd say that this isn't a legal puzzle, but it could easily be interpreted as one by competitors for this competition.
There's a visual/tactile recognition and ergonomic tradeoff to "bumping" the puzzle more or less, but I'd think that what exactly defines a valid mirror blocks puzzle should be defined, and this hasn't ever been done.
I suppose you’re right. You win.

Just to clarify: I didn’t believe skewb is a shape mod anymore in my previous post. I meant to talk about shape mods in general

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to make sure everyone understands, because my original post here was originally improperly worded in one place - no more than 2 events will be added this year. Since it seems likely that more than two events will have enough votes to meet the minimum requirements, this becomes a race for the most votes - only the top 2 according to yes votes will be added. Fewer no votes will be used to break ties.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
I want to make sure everyone understands, because my original post here was originally improperly worded in one place - no more than 2 events will be added this year. Since it seems likely that more than two events will have enough votes to meet the minimum requirements, this becomes a race for the most votes - only the top 2 according to yes votes will be added. Fewer no votes will be used to break ties.
Am I correct in assuming that there are now 23 votes for this event?