• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should Master Pyraminx be added to the Weekly Competition?

Should Master Pyraminx be added to the Weekly Competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread will be open for 3 weeks.

Vote yes ONLY if you BOTH want the event added AND intend to compete in it if possible.

Vote no if you specifically don't want the event added.

If the event receives at least 18 Yes votes (10% of the weekly average of participants) AND ALSO has more Yes votes than No votes, it will be added to the competition.

Responses other than Yes or No will not have any impact on the decision. Your response can be changed up until the poll closes.

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 weeks from the end of the poll, here's my prediction:
I consider it as Likely to be added as an official SSWC event! (80% sure)
Expected final percentages:
Yes: 55%
No: 10%
I won't compete: 25%
I don't care: 10%

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This poll has closed, and while it was not quite as overwhelming as was Redi Cube, it is still pretty convincing - Master Pyraminx will be added to the weekly competition for next year. 40 votes yes, 12 votes no.

At the moment, I guess I'm planning to just use a random move scrambler for it, which would be pretty easy to put together. I know of no random state scramblers for it. I'm not sure I did the calculations right, but it seems to me like Master Pyraminx is somewhat less complex than a 3x3x3, so one would think a reasonable-speed random state scrambler might be possible (although probably challenging). Does anyone have one?

If I do go with random moves, what's a good move count to use?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
This poll has closed, and while it was not quite as overwhelming as was Redi Cube, it is still pretty convincing - Master Pyraminx will be added to the weekly competition for next year. 40 votes yes, 12 votes no.

At the moment, I guess I'm planning to just use a random move scrambler for it, which would be pretty easy to put together. I know of no random state scramblers for it. I'm not sure I did the calculations right, but it seems to me like Master Pyraminx is somewhat less complex than a 3x3x3, so one would think a reasonable-speed random state scrambler might be possible (although probably challenging). Does anyone have one?

If I do go with random moves, what's a good move count to use?
YEA!!! I am really looking forward to having Master Pyraminx in the weekly competition. Thank you very much @Mike Hughey for all the work and time that you have done (and will continue to do) for this event to be added (as well as for the Redi cube), it is much appreciated by everyone here.

I am not certain how useful this Master Pyraminx scrambler will be for you, but it is what I have been using for a while now, and it seems to work really well, so it might be worth checking out: https://jsfiddle.net/8czzaboz/

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not certain how useful this Master Pyraminx scrambler will be for you, but it is what I have been using for a while now, and it seems to work really well, so it might be worth checking out: https://jsfiddle.net/8czzaboz/
Thanks - I did see it (in fact, I had it open in another window before you posted this!). :) As you can see, it's extremely simple - simple enough that it's an entirely obvious program. I can probably simply modify my big cube scramble generator to handle a tetrahedral puzzle and get the same results. But thanks for pointing it out.

That scrambler uses a length of 42 moves. Can anyone comment on whether it's a good number to use?

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t have this puzzle but it seems that 40 moves would be ok, using a 4x4-like notation:
« u » for the U tip
« U » for the U pyramid
« Uw » for the U wide pyramid

nms777

I'm really glad it's being added cause I just got a master pyraminx for Christmas and I'm having a lot of fun with it despite how much regular pyraminxes annoy me, probably because it's a new challenge and there's more to the solve besides the tips than there is on a regular pyraminx. Tips still annoy me but master pyraminx is a fun event and I'm excited to compete in it.