• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I Swtich Methods?

Toothcraver55

WCA
2018MURR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm averaging around 17 seconds with CFOP, and recently I've developed an interest in Roux. I enjoy both methods, but if I could go back to when I started, I would pick Roux. So basically I find the method interesting and I want to get better at it, but at the same time, I don't want to have to do much backtracking or lose my progress. Because I don't want all my hard work with CFOP to go to waste. Especially since I'm not even sub 30 with Roux. And if I should switch to Roux, then any tips for the transition?

Thom S.

You should try to dedicate yourself on Roux until you see if the method soits you better than CFOP. You know rules and systems of the 3x3 so your learning curve will lead you so 17 seconds much faster now.
Speed is no obstacle, it's about what method brings you the most enjoyment.
If you transition CFOP-Roux
Stop opening and closing Slots(you will know what this means)
Don't do CFOP solves in between to see some good times
Learn COLL Algorithms at first for CMLL(of course leaning the easy ones more important but in many COLL algorithms you can
/start with r instead of R
/input M and M' moves in between
/learn the CPs of your OLLs
The thing with this is that if you want to continue with CFOP you have learnt something really useful and Noflip will help your lookahead
)

Sue Doenim

You know rules and systems of the 3x3 so your learning curve will lead you so 17 seconds much faster now.
Speed is no obstacle, it's about what method brings you the most enjoyment.
If you transition CFOP-Roux
Stop opening and closing Slots(you will know what this means)
Don't do CFOP solves in between to see some good times
)
I agree with this much of what he said. If you're going to switch, start with normal 2-look CMLL then learn normal CMLLs, watch Roux videos (especially walkthrough solves), and do lots of solves. Roux will make more sense as you continue.

As for whether or not you should switch, it's up to you. If you like Roux more, I'd use it. I switched methods to Roux a long while ago, and I don't regret it.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I strongly recommend you at least experiment with Roux. I find the method much more fun and instinctive than CFOP and it relies a lot less on algorithms. If you end up not liking it, you'll end up with a better understanding of the cube and that might help you with CFOP as well.

Kian Mansour's videos on YouTube are the most valuable resource that I could find. His in depth knowledge of the cube and the Roux method are amazing. I couldn't wrap my hands around the Gilles Roux explanation at all, but Kian explains is so clearly, I watched his videos once and felt like I knew the method well enough to start solving, but I still refer to them once in a while when I forget stuff or I end up getting stuck on certain cases.