• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I consider this a PB?

F

FU

I just got a 42.56 for PLL time attack, which is ridiculous considering my previous best was 46.02 only. the 4 G's at the start were done in 7.xx and everything then on went incredibly smooth and there were little lockups, I knew almost for sure it would be a new PB but I didn't expect it to beat 46.02 by so much. (well actually I had a similar great run a week back but it popped nearing the end ****)

Doubt I missed any PLL because I ended with the usual LL case as with all other time attacks. As far as I am concerned, PBs should be representative of the limit of one's ability but I'm not all too sure if this run was really representative of my ability. If this happened to you what would you do?

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Single PBs aren't a representative of your average ability.. that's what averages are for! Single PBs are just about that one time everything went right.

The meaning of an average is useless for events that it's impossible to get lucky for, i.e. magic. Congrats on your new PB! (It's much faster than mine)

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
Honestly, I don't really keep track of PB's that don't occur in competition. If I do 1000 solves and get a good one, it's not really representative of my skills.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I beat my 45 with a 42. And even if I've had a 40, I don't think it's impossible for me to get a 36, if everything goes right. So, yes, I'd say that's not a big jump, especially if you (like me) abort most bad attempts.

(I once did a long session, and I had hundreds of DNFs, and some highly variable successes in the 40s.)

F

FU

Well thanks for the feedback I'll recognise/accept it as my PB gladly :p