• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Selling Modified Puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken08

I'm selling

cuboctahedron aka Diamond cube - 40$
CubeOcto_small.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Master cuboctahedron - 55$
mastercuboctahedron_small.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Octagonal prism - 35$
OctagonalPrism_small.jpg

Half-truncated cube - 40$
00862-01.jpg

all of them comes with stickers from cubesmith.com
Free shipping..

Here's my new Fishers cube (gold)..
I just painted it with Gold spray paint..:)

Picture001.jpg

Last edited:

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
You should probably take the Fisher ones off. Tony Fisher is such a genius, he deserves to get all the profit out of his own puzzles.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
How long ago did he invent his mods? I don't think don't think a Fisher cube falls under a utility patent, since it's functionally identical to a normal cube. A design patent is valid for 14 years, if I remember correctly.
You should probably take the Fisher ones off. Tony Fisher is such a genius, he deserves to get all the profit out of his own puzzles.
That's a peculiar statement in a forum where people regularly espouse buying Chinese cubes which don't generate any income for the inventor.

Last edited:

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
That's a peculiar statement in a forum where people regularly espouse buying Chinese cubes which don't generate any any income for the inventor.

Sadly, storeboughts suck to many people.
So, to continue that argument to its logical conclusion, if chicken08's mods are higher quality than Fisher's, then he should be allowed to sell them?

Dirk BerGuRK

How long ago did he invent his mods? I don't think don't think a Fisher cube falls under a utility patent, since it's functionally identical to a normal cube. A design patent is valid for 14 years, if I remember correctly.

Nonetheless, wouldn't an individual need to actually apply for a patent for this apply? Has Tony Fisher applied for any patents? From Unknown.soul's link it looks as if he has only asked if people would not sell his puzzles, but legally chicken08 is free to do as he wishes (as long as the forum gods don't mind).

DcF1337

That's a peculiar statement in a forum where people regularly espouse buying Chinese cubes which don't generate any any income for the inventor.

Sadly, storeboughts suck to many people.
So, to continue that argument to its logical conclusion, if chicken08's mods are higher quality than Fisher's, then he should be allowed to sell them?

Yes he should be allowed to, if people want to buy them. But it's not nice considering Tony Fisher explicitly mentioned that he did not want his modded cubes to be sold.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
And you think Winning Moves is okay with all these people buying knockoff cubes from China?

It's also a bit peculiar that cubing is one of the few areas where knockoffs from China are better than the original. According to some opinions anyway. I <3 my Rubik's brand cube.

Last edited:

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most people who have them (including me) say rubik's diy's are the best. All you have to do is find a way to keep the center caps on (I use type c centers) and it is better than an old white type a. I do believe that you shouldn't sell the fisher's cube, especially for profit. If someone asked you to make one and agreed to pay for it (materials, labor, etc) that would be a different story.

aliengrey

Yes, he can't stop you from selling copies of his puzzles. But it's a matter of respect. Would you like someone making a profit off something you spent years producing? Probably not.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Nonetheless, wouldn't an individual need to actually apply for a patent for this apply? Has Tony Fisher applied for any patents? From Unknown.soul's link it looks as if he has only asked if people would not sell his puzzles, but legally chicken08 is free to do as he wishes (as long as the forum gods don't mind).

Click the link and read the paragraphs...
It means chicken08 has no respect for Tony Fisher's work, since he is doing this (likely) without the original creator's permission...

It's called "plagiarism" in our world; taking something that isn't yours and calling it your own (okay, it sounds like stealing, but you're basically selling another guy's invention, that you recreated, without his permission, and taking all of the profits and NOT EVEN REPORTING OR ASKING FOR PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR).

And you think Winning Moves is okay with all these people buying knockoff cubes from China?

It's also a bit peculiar that cubing is one of the few areas where knockoffs from China are better than the original. According to some opinions anyway. I <3 my Rubik's brand cube.

Roflmao. You make me laugh.
Storeboughts are only better at looking cool (okay, scratch that, DS's are ownage), and I find that 1/50 Storeboughts, when lubed, are better than any chinese knockoff...

But I must admit, I still use a rubik's storebought (lubed) and I can't say I hate it; it's gotten me my PB (non-lucky), and I still want it to break a sub-40 consistent average (my SD is like 9.9 or something -_-;;).

darkzelkova

He's selling them - so what. If you don't like it don't buy them, there isn't much else that you can do.

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01

Roflmao. You make me laugh.
Storeboughts are only better at looking cool (okay, scratch that, DS's are ownage), and I find that 1/50 Storeboughts, when lubed, are better than any chinese knockoff...

But I must admit, I still use a rubik's storebought (lubed) and I can't say I hate it; it's gotten me my PB (non-lucky), and I still want it to break a sub-40 consistent average (my SD is like 9.9 or something -_-;;).

No, you make me laugh. There was no reason to be disrespectful. You are in no position to make fun of her preference of cube.

And for the record, Storebought = hell yes. ;)

Last edited:

Dirk BerGuRK

Click the link and read the paragraphs...
It means chicken08 has no respect for Tony Fisher's work, since he is doing this (likely) without the original creator's permission...

It's called "plagiarism" in our world; taking something that isn't yours and calling it your own (okay, it sounds like stealing, but you're basically selling another guy's invention, that you recreated, without his permission, and taking all of the profits and NOT EVEN REPORTING OR ASKING FOR PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR).

I did click the links and read the paragraphs. No, it's not "plagarism" in your world because chicken08 is not claiming to be the original inventor of these puzzles, he is just selling copies. I'm not saying it's ethical, but chicken08 can do what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.