• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[NR] Sean Patrick Villanueva - 4.98 3x3 Single Philippine National Record

WCA
2019HENK01

Sean Patrick Villanueva just got the first sub-5 3x3 Single with Roux!

Scramble (generated from the solution):
D' F2 D L2 R2 D2 R2 F' R' B D' F U2 L' F' L D' U'

Solution:
y // Inspection
U L R U R' D D // FB
R U M' R' U R // SBSquare
U R U r' // SBPair
U r' U r2 U' r2' U' r2 U r' // CMLLEO
U' M2' U' M' U2' M' // 4b
U' M2' // 4c

// 35 ETM = 7.03 ETPS

He also got a 6.26 Average of 5 in that round, so he broke former AsR again!

Congrats to Sean!

U

Underwatercuber

Congrats Sean! Glad to see someone getting closer and closer to potentially proving that roux as good as cfop.

also kind of random, is roux a lot less variable than cfop? I’m just realizing that kian and Sean both have singles are within a second of their average (huge sample size ik) and kian and iuri’s OH single and averages are pretty close too

U

Underwatercuber

Not necessarily, the sample size is just too small to draw any proper conclusions atm. But it's great to see a non CFOP method doing well.
If someone had some sort of program that could run simulations of cfop and roux in human-like ways it could give a rough approximation.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Sean! Glad to see someone getting closer and closer to potentially proving that roux as good as cfop.

also kind of random, is roux a lot less variable than cfop? I’m just realizing that kian and Sean both have singles are within a second of their average (huge sample size ik) and kian and iuri’s OH single and averages are pretty close too
Kian noted that in the 2020 cubing predictions because a couple people kept picking him for 3x3 single.
Roux = good for averages. Not singles.

U

Underwatercuber

Kian noted that in the 2020 cubing predictions because a couple people kept picking him for 3x3 single.
but good singles are what make a good average? The current wr average has 2 counting results in the top 70 results, being able to achieve lucky singles (even if they are rare) seems like a huge advantage for records.

maybe it’s more like roux = good for podiums ?

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great job! I can't wait for him to get WR average :)

I think it might be related to how evenly "luck" is ditributed across solves.
In steps like OLL, PLL and CMLL, once in a while you get very lucky and skip the step entirely. There is a big jump between a skip and a short non-skip case. These skips are largely responsible for very lucky singles.
In more intuitive steps (F2L, F2B, LSE) you rarely get "complete skips". It is still possible to get lucky short solutions, but this luck is more evenly distributed. There is no big jump between a complete skip and a short case, all cases in between are possible.
Since Roux only has one step of the first kind vs 2 of CFOP, those "big skips" are less common.