• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SALOW Notation for Curvy Copter.

Would you support Curvy Copter as an event?

• Yes

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters

Hazel

Premium Member
So RF++ is the opposite of RF-, and RF-- is the opposite of RF+? So would it be possible to call RF++ RF-' and RF-- RF+'?
In a jumbled position this might not be the case though? Like in the part of a scramble where you're jumblind the cube, FR++ could be different from FR which could be different from FR+ , which could differ from FR-

WCA
2018OLSE04
So RF++ is the opposite of RF-, and RF-- is the opposite of RF+? So would it be possible to call RF++ RF-' and RF-- RF+'?
Sure you could call them that, but RF-' certainly makes less sense than RF++ since RF++ would denote a ~110 degree clockwise turn.
In a jumbled position this might not be the case though? Like in the part of a scramble where you're jumblind the cube, FR++ could be different from FR which could be different from FR+ , which could differ from FR-
Yes, it should be normal for all of these to be distinct legal moves (as they are when the cube is in the solved state).

Sion

This is true.

I'm guessing it can go like this: (neutral), RF+, RF--/RF+', RF, RF++/RF-', RF-,(neutral)?

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
A have an idea: Since this notation is kind of like Old Megaminx notation, maybe we can improve it just like Megaminx.......

Hold one corner and do moves like wide R2 and D2 only, like Megaminx.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
A have an idea: Since this notation is kind of like Old Megaminx notation, maybe we can improve it just like Megaminx.......

Hold one corner and do moves like wide R2 and D2 only, like Megaminx.
I have played around with that already and I don’t think that’s the way to go. Especially with jumbling. That would make it really awkward to do jumbling scrambles. I think Sion so far has the best solution for the jumbling notation of +/-

Sion

Basically if you have a silver cube and you turn the FR edge it would go FR+,FR++,FR(180 degrees), FR- -, FR -, original state

While I like R++, I still think calling R++ R-' makes more sense since it is the positional inverse of R-, kind of like how U' is the inverse of U on 3x3.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
While I like R++, I still think calling R++ R-' makes more sense since it is the positional inverse of R-, kind of like how U' is the inverse of U on 3x3.
I understand it’s the positional inverse, but I think it needs to be ++ because if you only go by the position of the edge it’s the same but the four petals around each turning edge would be in different locations. Also as a side note I think it would look weird to have +’ since megamimx already uses ++. But from a scrambling point it would be identically if you’re just going for the manipulation of shape after doing some initial scramble to put the cube in a random state before jumbling.

Sion

I understand it’s the positional inverse, but I think it needs to be ++ because if you only go by the position of the edge it’s the same but the four petals around each turning edge would be in different locations. Also as a side note I think it would look weird to have +’ since megamimx already uses ++. But from a scrambling point it would be identically if you’re just going for the manipulation of shape after doing some initial scramble to put the cube in a random state before jumbling.

Perhaps we could use forward and back slashes, so it could be RF/, RF//, RF, R\\, R\, which could differentiate CC from Mega, especially since something like F+ is completely different from F.

Hazel

Premium Member
If I understand this correct, I agree. So hypothetically in jumbled states these might all be different moves: FR, FR+, FR++, FR-, FR--

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
If I understand this correct, I agree. So hypothetically in jumbled states these might all be different moves: FR, FR+, FR++, FR-, FR--
Yeah. I’m not completely sure as I never messed with jumbling. But in theory those moves could potentially swap different petal pieces so I think notation definitely needs to be specific