• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks vs. Eastsheen

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eastsheens feel great but I heard they get worse over time and lock up more often.Does this make a Rubik's 4x4 better than an old Eastsheen?

Probably. But some Eastsheens can last a while (my second one is still the nicest one I have - even better than my third one; my second one is about 10 months old). And that's not as true for a 5x5x5 as for a 4x4x4, since 5x5x5 Eastsheens can be refurbished when they get bad.

mrbiggs

The preferences for the best cubers for 5x5x5 have already been specified in this thread. But what about the 4x4x4?

Anyone know what Erik Akkersdijk, Adam Polkowski, Tomasz Zolnowski, and Piotr Kozka use?

(Incidentally, I never realized the number of Polish cubers on the top of the 4x4x4 list until this post...)

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
in Singapore the big cubers use eastsheens. I stopped playing 5x5 as rubik's was too big for my hands, and eastsheens cannot turn properly with misaligned slices. and i do direct solving, with 4 centres which i do last. switching centres are a pain in the neck with an eastsheen.
still i prefer eastsheen 4x4. the speed it provides compensates for its weaknesses.

Winston

WCA
2009ZHEN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What about the durability of an Eastsheen? My Rubik's 4x4x4's center piece broke quite recently,and I was contemplating on whether or not to get an Eastsheen. If Eastsheen is equally or more durable than Rubik's I might change my mind about getting a center replacement piece for my Rubik's, and instead get an Eastsheen.However I'm afraid the Eastsheens would get worse over time and I would have to get a new one after months of playing...

Zava

WCA
2007BERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The preferences for the best cubers for 5x5x5 have already been specified in this thread. But what about the 4x4x4?

Anyone know what Erik Akkersdijk, Adam Polkowski, Tomasz Zolnowski, and Piotr Kozka use?

(Incidentally, I never realized the number of Polish cubers on the top of the 4x4x4 list until this post...)
I only know that hungarian top-cubers (Matyi, Milán) used/use rubik's 4x4
and about the old/new type rubik's question: for 4x4, the old type is definitely better, mine is very smooth, with almost no lockups, and my new tpye (when i used it) locked up twice in a second...
for 5x5, i prefer new type, it only needs 1-2 months to break in well, in contrast with te old, which neads loads more time.
btw, only rubik's! (well except 2x2 :p)

Last edited:

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't use ES anything (not eve 2x2). I do practice on an ES 4x4, because I don't feel any need to use my rubiks one and wear it down when not in competition. I agree with AvG's comment, about kids using ESs, as it's mostly true. I usually use a lot of force when I cube, and I guess it works :)

Also:

Dan Cohen use Rubiks' 4x4 and Mefferts 5x5
Frank Morris uses Rubik's 4x4 and V-cube 5x5
Matyas Kuti uses Rubik's 4x4 and 5x5
Takayuki Ookusa uses Rubik's 4x4 and 5x5

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like Eastsheens for big cubes BLD. But I don't know of anyone else who does.
for example, István Kocza likes them for bld

Does he? That's interesting. It's always seemed like István and I have progressed at most cubing things at a similar rate (if you don't count square-1, where he blows me away), so it's fascinating to know he shares a preference for Eastsheens with me as well.