• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 comparison (like usual) Eastsheen vs. Rubik's

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well I have been meaning to buy a 5x5 for a long time now (Nearly out of poket money debt :p) and now I would like to know which, in your opinion, is better. I REALLY like the eastsheen size better but lockups kill me with no cutting corners. also I have heard that eastsheens are a heck of a lot lighter.
Thanks in advance

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Luke: Why don't you get an Eastsheen (I have a Rubik's), and if we meet one day we can test each others! Also, I'll be getting a v-cube.

mrCage

Hi :)

Get all three of them !!! Find out which one you will like best. Then order more of it as spare cubes, before it runs out of stock :D

With old competition ruling i'd say better get used to Rubiks. But this is not an issue anymore !!

- Per

cpt.Justice

WCA
2009HOVE01
I am in doubt about whether to get an ES 5x5 or a V-cube 5, could anyone who have both give me some advice? Is the V-cube really *that* much better? The price is way higher, and the shipping costs are also seriously high :S
If the ES is about as good as the V-cube, then I will let the 6x6 and 7x7 wait for a while.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had my V-cubes for a few hours. The 5x5x5 V-cube is much tighter and requires much more force to turn than the ES. The ES can be turned with almost a feather touch; it's really easy to turn. I love the way the ES feels when it's brand new. But it definitely wears out as it gets looser. It doesn't cut corners as well as other cubes, and when you try, it makes the cube looser. So when you solve an ES, you should really solve with as light a touch as possible - never force it. (Always try to turn accurately so you're not cutting corners if possible.) If you go gently, it can last for many months before it goes bad. But it will eventually go bad. When it does, you can perform Kenneth's resurrection method, and it helps, but I've not had it help so much as to restore it to being like new.

The V-cube is hard to pass judgment on yet. It is much stiffer to turn, but feels good and solid. It reminds me of a Rubik's, but with no problem at all of twisting center pieces. It feels like it could last forever. (But apparently the prototypes didn't, so that may be illusory.) And I haven't lubed it yet; I'm waiting to see how other people lube theirs before I try. I've probably only done around 20 solves on it so far, and already it has gotten better. It feels like, with proper breaking in, this could easily become my favorite 5x5x5. But I'm sure I'd be better with an ES at the moment.

If you can cube with a light touch and don't mind the fact that the ES's "quality" lifetime is probably only a few thousand solves, the ES is probably the way to go. But if not, it might be worth going for the V-cube instead.

I think they're both nicely made puzzles. I'm glad I have both.

cpt.Justice

WCA
2009HOVE01
The lifetime wont be a problem i guess, because the price is about one third of the v-cube anyway :)
I think I'll buy an ES then, unless someone claims that the V-cube is amazingly much better ( I kinda expected someone to do that ;) )