• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube Mile competition?

mmitchev

Banned
Wasn't sure where to put this, hope this is okay. I like to run and cube and thought why not put the two together? I see they have a Beer Mile involving drinking a beer and then running a lap around a track, doing it 4 times for a mile. I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in such a competition, where you solve a cube then run a lap.

Rules:
-Should be ran on a 400m track but 1/4 mile tracks are ok
-If you have 4 cubes to use, scramble all of them but you may only inspect the first one you are going to solve.
-If you only have 1 cube, a partner must scramble the cube as you run your lap.
-You may use a speedstacks timer or a stopwatch, time starts when you begin your first solve and ends when you finish the last lap
-You start with a solve and follow with a lap, and repeat 4 times.

It seems self explanatory but some people have been getting confused :p. Post times and I'll keep a list of rankings here.

Rankings

1. Micael - 7:23

Last edited:

Ltsurge

um... ok
i've ran a hundred simultaneously cubing... didn't end well
I run 4.24 for 1500m and my solve is around 33 avg...

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder what the record is for this? I imagine that a serious cuber and track runner could manage something around the 6 minute mark (20s per cube + four 1:10 400s should be doable), but I can't find any record of a time anywhere near this. I bet I could do around 9; I'd be interested to see what people who actually practice running can manage.

EDIT: Someone in the comments here claims a 7:23. Since this is in no way an unreasonable time I see no reason to doubt it, and will consider that as the current best result I know of.

Last edited:

mmitchev

Banned
Cool, post times here, maybe I'll move it in the future to the competition forum if it gets enough attention, I'll try to have to have a time here as well tomorrow. One solve at the beginning and then in between laps, 1600m, no metric mile.

Ltsurge

Generally they add about 7 seconds to the 1500 to change to the 1600, but that is elite runners.

Edit: Actually a mile is 1609 meters, so there is no UWR for this.

not for me

i came 5th in qld for 1500m at the School Sport Qld champs a couple of years ago.. no extra time was added...

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
This will be really hard to keep accurate. At least in the area I live in, a lot of the older schools have 1/4 mile tracks, while others have true 400m tracks.

I think solving a cube at the completion of each lap would be more interesting. Table/music stand/etc, at the line with a speedstacks timer...

I will be trying this for sure. I am a 25-30 second solver, so I'm not sure how well I will do. I have a gps watch, so I will be sure to post the session here. Anyone with a smartphone should do this also. Endomondo works well for Android, SportyPal is decent for Windows Phones... I don't recall the iPhone version, but it should be easy to find.

mmitchev

Banned
For whatever track you have, it's cube then lap. The difference between 1600m and a mile is negligible. You can inspect the first cube, sure.

bwronski

I will give this a try. I average about 25sec for 3x3. And I can do a 4:25 mile. But with the gaps I could probably do 55-60sec laps.

I'll shoot for a 6 minute total time.

MoRpHiiNe

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't really understand;
Do you mean you solve the cube, do a lap, solve another, do another lap etc?
Or do you just solve the entire time? Cause then wouldn't it only depend on how fast you run?
Cause your solve time would have nothing to do with it...
Although if it is solve/lap/solve/lap etc, then wouldn't a bigger lap be an advantage?
Sounds like a weird competition to me =P.

I've got an idea for a competition!
Backsault, then solve a cube, backsault, solve... Go on until you either fail the backsault or fail the solve =P. That'd be fun :).