• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is one very, very, very large flaw. Only a set number of people can make it to the olympics, right. I thought cubing was for everyone, not just guys like Mitchell Stern, Rowe Hessler, Jason Baum, Sam Boyles, Dan Cohen, Gavin Nelson, Ryan Patricio, Tim Reynolds, just to name a few. Personally i would like cubing to stay open to everyone, not just the Kobe Bryant's or Lebron James's of speedcubing.
Only the best players of ANY sport make it to the Olympics. Case closed.

like Mitchell Stern, Rowe Hessler, Jason Baum, Sam Boyles, Dan Cohen, Gavin Nelson, Ryan Patricio, Tim Reynolds, just to name a few.

Sam is in this list and I'm not?! ;)
Seems obvious to me that he's only listing New England area cubers. Have you even ever been over here? :p

envy253

Banned
srry but i dont think playing with a little piece of plastic is considered sport lol.
fun hobby, but its not sport

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if this would be cool, it will never happen. IMO, getting the world record would be way to based on luck, while other events are more based on skill.
Hah. If that were a reason, they should toss out gymnastics, diving, etc. :p

It's almost the same arguing. Most often some people get slightly more lucky, but but the luck is not necessarily biased toward someone.

Anyhow, considering speedcubing in the Olympics is silly. As I've stated before, I believe that the US (and other countries) will eventually have an actual national championship with regional qualifications. Worlds might get like that, too. But Olympics involves unrealistic recognition for the sport (yet).

shadowpartner

add Singapore in !!!!!

Yu nakajima would totally get all the gold medals lah...

Last edited by a moderator:

DcF1337

Singapore! Woot woot.

At first I thought it was a fantastic idea but now I'm not so sure. Anyone can be a good speedcuber. It just takes time. We should be contented with the numerous competitions we already have throughout the world.

If Speedcubing could be added into Olympics, so could hundreds of other competitive games.

CAT13

WCA
2008MCCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing that has to be taken into consideration is that competitive speedcubing (as it is) has only been around for a couple years. Other sports and games in the Olympics have been around for hundreds of years. And also, Rubik's cubes popularity died down in the eighties, so who is to say that speedcubing won't be a thing of the past in a few years?
That would be nice if it was added to the Olympics... but most people probably don't even know that there is a WCA or any other kind of organization. (Firefox is telling me there is no such thing as the WCA! no I did not misspell that!!!)

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
at the end of the day, i don't think most people (including cubers) would consider cubing a sport. nor do i think chess is a sport, for example. equestrian, in my mind, is a sport for the horse, but not the rider. shooting is in the olympics because its a traditional event, not because it requires more physical skill than other events that are not in.

even so, cubing isn't anywhere near popular enough to justify being in the olympics, even disregarding the fact that it is not a sport (imo).

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
Well, with chess, the international olympic committee officially recognizes it as a sport, and there is a very legitimate chance it will one day be in the olympics, as the main problem when it was denied was that it was difficult to distinguish between professional and amateur players, so if chess would be allowed, a "sport" involving almost zero physical endurance, then certainly speedcubing could make a case. Although, i don't thing either of these should be in the olympics, although chess is the greatest game ever played in my opinion, it doesn't belong in the olympics, similar to speedcubing and other things like equestrian, which is in the olympics.
I was going to post what was pretty much the exact argument, but now I don't have to.

+1 chess is not a sport
+1 chess it the greatest game ever invented
+1 chess shouldn't be in the olympics
+1 speedcubing is neither a sport, nor should it be in the olympics
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+4 Total. :)

Can't comment on the equestrian sports, but I think I may agree with you.