• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

Carlos

WCA
2007ALCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No one thought about this or i missed something?

I was wondering about how would it be to get the cube to the olympic games. Does it need a minimum number of cubers to be considered an olympic sport? Does anyone know the criteria to add a sport?

It looks like it's not so easy, beacause we have the example of chess, which is not included. Anyway, speedcubing can be as exciting to watch as many other sports. There are time records and stuff.

I'm not thiking of this for today, but could be really nice for the future, the number of cubers is growing so fast :)

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
18 would be no problem. Off the top of my head:
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Holland
Germany
Belgium
France
Japan
Hong Kong
China
Brazil
UK (or is it separated into the four countries, so England?)
Poland
Greece
Finland
Korea

There are tons more in the database.

EDIT: I only got 17, another would be... Hungary!

H

hdskull

Well, of the top of my head, I can think of (in addition to Dene) Spain, India, Iran, Mexico, Sweden, Taiwan, I'm sure I know more, just too lazy to think, haha.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If we did get on the Olympics, how would it be set up? Single elimination (two people do an avg5 head-to-head with two stackmats, for instance), big races (everyone does a solve at once), or competition style? Would we do just 3x3 or a bunch of different events? I think this is interesting to think about even if it may not happen for many years :)

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
18 would be no problem. Off the top of my head:
UK (or is it separated into the four countries, so England?)

Heh, seperating it into four countries, but obviously England is the most important one because you ignored the other ones =P

In the olympics, it's Great Britain, with Ireland/Northern Ireland competing seperately.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
there are much more glaring omissions from the olympic games as of now.

golf, for example, is a sport that is overlooked but would be an excellent addition to the games.

that being said, i don't personally consider cubing to be a sport, despite being serious about it, so i wouldn't support its inclusion in the olympic games. that being said, there are other "sports" in the games that i don't consider sports.

in addition, opening the olympics to something like cubing would open the door for countless other events. there needs to be an athletic standard to the events. allowing puzzle solving into the games would compromise that greatly.

even all that considered, i'd still be happy to watch it.

Last edited:

Dorsenstein

WCA
2008FLEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is one very, very, very large flaw. Only a set number of people can make it to the olympics, right. I thought cubing was for everyone, not just guys like Mitchell Stern, Rowe Hessler, Jason Baum, Sam Boyles, Dan Cohen, Gavin Nelson, Ryan Patricio, Tim Reynolds, just to name a few. Personally i would like cubing to stay open to everyone, not just the Kobe Bryant's or Lebron James's of speedcubing.

Oh, and if speedcubing was only for the fast people it would never be in the olympics, sorry.

MistArts

There is one very, very, very large flaw. Only a set number of people can make it to the olympics, right. I thought cubing was for everyone, not just guys like Mitchell Stern, Rowe Hessler, Jason Baum, Sam Boyles, Dan Cohen, Gavin Nelson, Ryan Patricio, Tim Reynolds, just to name a few. Personally i would like cubing to stay open to everyone, not just the Kobe Bryant's or Lebron James's of speedcubing.

Oh, and if speedcubing was only for the fast people it would never be in the olympics, sorry.

Don't call FMC speedcubing....

hawkmp4

What athletic ability does cubing involve? it doesn't even come CLOSE to ANYTHING else in the olympics right now.
Honestly.
Why are people even considering this?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hang on, so you two (hawkmp4 and Theron_Rabe) think archery is a more worthy sport than speedcubing? Because (I'm just gonna throw it out there) I think archery has to be the biggest joke in history the way it is done now, and is definitely less intensive than cubing, physically and mentally (and skillfully).

sam

lol wut. thank you for calling me an olympic-class speedcuber. if only people like me were allowed in, they wouldn't have speedcubing as an olympic event for long.... :p

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
Hang on, so you two (hawkmp4 and Theron_Rabe) think archery is a more worthy sport than speedcubing? Because (I'm just gonna throw it out there) I think archery has to be the biggest joke in history the way it is done now, and is definitely less intensive than cubing, physically and mentally (and skillfully).
If it's so easy, you do it. :p

NickNack

Even if this would be cool, it will never happen. IMO, getting the world record would be way to based on luck, while other events are more based on skill.

Kyle Barry

WCA
2007BARR02
Well, with chess, the international olympic committee officially recognizes it as a sport, and there is a very legitimate chance it will one day be in the olympics, as the main problem when it was denied was that it was difficult to distinguish between professional and amateur players, so if chess would be allowed, a "sport" involving almost zero physical endurance, then certainly speedcubing could make a case. Although, i don't thing either of these should be in the olympics, although chess is the greatest game ever played in my opinion, it doesn't belong in the olympics, similar to speedcubing and other things like equestrian, which is in the olympics.