• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Recognizing PLL cases

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think of it in terms of 2 corners that are the same color and a 2x1x1 block. It is pretty easy to see where (or where it isn't) the 2x1x1 is relative to the corners. I know there are other ways to recognize it. I do remember a post somewhere before about recognizing there cases, G's, so search around and maybe you'll find how everyone recognizes them.

RobinBloehm

WCA
2008BLOH02
There are 2 corners with the same color on the same face, place them on the left (for example).
Then you look at the position of the 2x1x1 Block, or actually you do both things at the same time of course.
That's exactly the way Bob Burton does it so you can start executing the algs instantly.

rxdeath

WCA
2005COCH01
i recognize them by putting the fixed block on either the RF or LF side, which will eliminate 2 of the cases. then on the F face you will have the fixed group 'pointing' at you, i check to see if the edge next to it is opposite or adjacent to eliminate the other possibility. that sounds way harder than it is when i read it, i kind of just made up my own recognition when i learned so its very COLL ish in terms of opposite and adjacent sticker recognition

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
For the G's I align the 1x1x2 block and then look at the edges and the two dots on the corners. Use R2 u' R U' R U R' u R2 y R U' R' to set up an example. I see two dots of the L face and the same colored edge as the two dots on the F face. I use Macky's Algorithm for this case which is R U R' y' R2 U'w R U' R' U R' Uw R2

Inusagi

Set the 1x1x2 block in FRU and UR or URL and UL (just one of them is possible). Now it's just 2 G perm again. If the block is in R, look at the left side of the cube, and if it's in L look in the R side of the cube. If the corners is matching on the side, you'll now what case you got, if it doesn't you'll still know what case you got.

all you need to know is the opposite colours and if they are opposite you execute one algorithms and if it isn't you execute the other one that is what I do anyway you will know what I mean when you get used to it.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
This video is all about the G permutations, and how to recognize them. (NOTE: This is not my video, it's dudemanpp's on YouTube.

Explanation of the G Permutations - PLL - Rubiks cube

Video Description:

This is how to recognize the G Permutations, a 3 corner switcher and a 3 edge switcher together. They are quite fun and easy.

R (U R') y' (R2 u') (R U') (R' U R') u R2

(R2 u') (R U') R (U R') u (R2 B) U' B'

F' U' F R2 u (R' U) (R U') (R u') R2

R2 u (R' U R') U' (R u') R2 F' U F

Last edited by a moderator: