• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rapid Dash Open 2012. Guildford, UK!

Will you attend Rapidash Open 2012?

• Total voters

conn9

WCA
2012TALB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've only entered for 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and magic because they're the only events I'm half decent at (my standards). I'm very close to a successful BLD solve though, so should I add BLD to the list and hope I can consistently BLD by then? Also, should I enter any of the other categories just for fun even if I'm crap at them, or would that be looked down on? Finally, am I actually able to add to te events I'm doing (above questions would be pointless if not)?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You will never be looked down on, dont worry. The only thing you could possibly be worried about is something like if you've never tried 4bld before and you think it's gonna take an hour and a half or what.

Just registered. Ill attempt multiBLD although I haven't tried it yet. I find 3bld rather comfortable now although my success rate is rubbish. I went for 2-5, 7, OH, ft, and FM as well. I think I'll try sq1 although I can't solve parity yet and don't even know a proper method or sq1 notation for that matter. I dunno.

Last edited:

cubersmith

WCA
2011SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've only entered for 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and magic because they're the only events I'm half decent at (my standards). I'm very close to a successful BLD solve though, so should I add BLD to the list and hope I can consistently BLD by then? Also, should I enter any of the other categories just for fun even if I'm crap at them, or would that be looked down on? Finally, am I actually able to add to te events I'm doing (above questions would be pointless if not)?

As previously said by Daniel, its okay to pull out of the odd event. So I would recommend registering for BLD too. Even if you aren't very consistent with BLD successes by that time, it's worth a try anyway.

Registered and excited :D. Now time to start practicing...

Just do pyra avg 1000 everyday :p

Last edited:

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
...should I enter any of the other categories just for fun even if I'm crap at them, or would that be looked down on?

Should you enter other categories?
Big Yes!
Your proviso of "just for fun" is perfectly valid!
Please do take the opportunity to get an official WCA ranking in all the events you think you may have a chance of completing.

Would you be looked down upon?
Big No!
That's just not allowed :) and isn't in the spirit of the competition (meanies can go jump in the lake!)
You'll be in good company of both slow cubers like myself and fast cubers like mostly everyone else.

That said, in the physical sense I often find people looking down on me when I collapse on a Saturday night and of course Conor W looks down on everyone because he's so tall (and I suspect he can only recognise people by the tops of their heads :D)

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
44 people have registered now so there are only 6 spots left. If you aren't sure whether you can go I still recommend you sign up then if you cannot go, you may pull out to let reserves take your place but please give us and them enough time.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any possibility making the number of competitors higher, maybe to 60 or something like that? There are many people who are just late, and who expedted the spots to go in one week?

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
I remember they did allow more competitors in at the UK Open last year than the initial maximum, but that was then. I don't know if they will do it this time. It's up to the organisation team and it also depends on things like the venue.

If you want to go, just register because then you have at least a chance to get in.

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Indeed the number of competitors at UK Open '11 was increased but people will probably remember that the venue was very full and events such as 3x3 saw the competitors area extremely busy, some would say too busy.

The venue for Rapidash is a lot smaller, I would say at least 50% smaller, yet with more events including 6x6, 7x7, MultiBLD, feet etc and also a similar schedule to last year's Guildford Summer Open has to be kept on time, and GSO only had 44 competitors.

Whilst there was certain circumstances where the competitor count could be increased at UKO, this can never be banked on. As mentioned your best bet is to resister anyway as there may well be cancellations and those on the waiting list get first refusal at these backup spaces.

Obviously the uptake for this competition has been superb and it will be noted by organisers if demand is way greater than the number of places, hopefully future competitions can be increased in participator limits, but this does require bigger venues and more planning.