• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Rami Sbahi - 0.58 2x2 Single and 1.55 Average

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
I've come back to the forum just to say this lol.

Nice job on the world record, I can't believe it just got beaten. I thought it would never happen haha.

More importantly, kudos to you for making the right decision.

Crazycubemom

WCA
2007OEYM01
Congrats Rami, but if I were you I won't solve that cube if I already knew the scramble.
Damn that kid! but how got that kid the scramble? I don't know who has responsibility for scrambles after it is hand over to the scramble table ( the organizer or delegate?) Sorry I just read this thread.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Rami, but if I were you I won't solve that cube if I already knew the scramble.
Damn that kid! but how got that kid the scramble? I don't know who has responsibility for scrambles after it is hand over to the scramble table ( the organizer or delegate?) Sorry I just read this thread.

I solved because he could've been trolling and it allowed me to get... this. I would not have gotten this if I didn't report it. He got the scramble from an earlier heat (yeah, different heats and same scrambles is a problem).

Crazycubemom

WCA
2007OEYM01
I remember my last 2 competitions, one competitor solve 3x3x3 and after solved he complained it was the same scramble, and I told him that he must tell the judge before solve but delegate allowed him with extra scramble ( I am still confused about it) I think if you knew the scramble the same as before, you must tell the judge and can get the right scramble. But maybe I know just a little about it so I follow what delegate said.

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember my last 2 competitions, one competitor solve 3x3x3 and after solved he complained it was the same scramble, and I told him that he must tell the judge before solve but delegate allowed him with extra scramble ( I am still confused about it) I think if you knew the scramble the same as before, you must tell the judge and can get the right scramble. But maybe I know just a little about it so I follow what delegate said.

See 2:

Also, the reasons for why I didn't just ask for an extra scramble to begin with are:

1. He could've been trolling me, knowing that the delegate had just said that no scramble discussion was allowed.
2. Mainly - I wanted to do the solve first so I could see what I'd get just in case the WCA ends up calling it legal. If I reported it immediately, I'd have no chance at a 0.58, but rather just get that extra scramble. By doing what I did, we can decide based on the evidence between the 0.58 and the 4.xx. It's kinda hard to word this, but I hope you guys get what I mean. I wasn't really 100% sure that what happened would violate the regulations, so I decided to do it and then provide the evidence to see if it could be allowed. Kit even said that what I did was a smart choice.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
Oh, whoops. If I did report it before the solve, I wouldn't have done the scramble at all, thus not making it possible to get this WR.

So you're saying you concealed information about knowing the scramble ahead of time in order to increase your chances of getting a world record. Congratulations on getting away with it?

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So you're saying you concealed information about knowing the scramble ahead of time in order to increase your chances of getting a world record. Congratulations on getting away with it?

No, I just reported it after so that the WCA could eventually make the decision between whether to use this or the 4.21+. Either way it's still possible to get the 4.21+ as my official time. I wanted the WCA to be able to make the best decision based on the evidence with time to do so (not just me coming up to the delegates quickly, and let's say they give me the extra scramble... then later they decide that I actually could've done the solve normally... there'd be no option of what to do). Also, he could've been trolling. Don't forget that either.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01

He didn't know the scramble ahead of time. He got a short view on a scramble that, as far as he knew at that time, might or might not be the scramble he would be getting.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm glad the board made the right decision; it was looking like idiocy and injustice would prevail for a while there. Congrats on the world record, Rami! I'm sorry you didn't get the joy of having set a record until weeks after the fact, but I'm glad you ultimately got what you deserved, rather than losing what's rightfully yours because of some idiot who sabotaged your chances by showing you the scramble.

I don't know if it affected the official decision, but huge props to Dan for undertaking the incredibly boring and frustrating task of debating on Rami's behalf in this thread for pages and pages. You did a great job with it, DeeDubb!

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
2. Not awarding the solve time would be more unfair than whatever unfairness there might be in the glimpse offered. Rami should not suffer for the incorrect behavior of another competitor.

Not sure why this is stated as a given fact. On one side of the scale, 1 competitor is getting screwed over one single and one average. On the other side, every past, present and future solver is getting screwed over for every solve and average they do. I think using this as one of the core debates is a strange/misguised choice. Still, I don't want to be one of the annoying people who disrespect the decision, of which I mostly agree, so congratulations Rami!