• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Rami Sbahi - 0.58 2x2 Single and 1.55 Average

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
Picture this scenario:
1. Usain Bolt wins a gold medal in the Olympics.
2. After competing he comes forward and says that he recently found out that his coach had been giving him anabolic steroids without his knowledge, but decided to race anyway because maybe his coach was just trolling about giving him steroids and he figured that if he competed maybe the Olympic Committee would decide to let him keep his gold medal after coming clean.

Do you think he should retain his gold medal on the grounds that "he shouldn't suffer for something his coach did" and "oh well, he's Usain Bolt, he probably would have won without the steroids anyway"?

Tom606060

Picture this scenario:
1. Usain Bolt wins a gold medal in the Olympics.
2. After competing he comes forward and says that he recently found out that his coach had been giving him anabolic steroids without his knowledge, but decided to race anyway because maybe his coach was just trolling about giving him steroids and he figured that if he competed maybe the Olympic Committee would decide to let him keep his gold medal after coming clean.

Do you think he should retain his gold medal on the grounds that "he shouldn't suffer for something his coach did" and "oh well, he's Usain Bolt, he probably would have won without the steroids anyway"?

This is completely different. Rami didnt know that it was gonna be the actual scramble or just a troll. He couldnt just trust some random kid.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm surprised this was allowed. The fact that it wasn't Rami's fault and that he would've gotten that time anyway should not be a factor to consider. The only thing that should matter is whether or not he was given a clear advantage over the other competitors.

Anyway, the single doesn't really matter so let's brush that aside. The other thing that should be taken into consideration is, would Rami's times for the next 4 solves be the same if the 0.58 was legit from the start, or did he get those times because he already failed his first solve? Surely this must've affected his mental state at some point, knowing that he couldn't really get WR anymore.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Anyway, the single doesn't really matter so let's brush that aside. The other thing that should be taken into consideration is, would Rami's times for the next 4 solves be the same if the 0.58 was legit from the start, or did he get those times because he already failed his first solve? Surely this must've affected his mental state at some point, knowing that he couldn't really get WR anymore.

Impossible to answer, maybe Rami doesn't react much to comp pressure and would've gotten the same times. Maybe having 0.58 would've given him confidence and the reason to try even harder. It's impossible to know if it affected him one way or the other so not much point speculating. Some people do better under pressure

Yeah, he probably should retain it. Those are some good points.

Glad you're not in charge of that then, steroids are a very clear advantage and he should definitely not retain it if it were to occur. You've got your WRs (congratulations) so don't bother arguing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Glad you're not in charge of that then, steroids are a very clear advantage and he should definitely not retain it if it were to occur. You've got your WRs (congratulations) so don't bother arguing now.

Okay, obviously I wasn't thinking about how severe steroids are. But, anyway, now that I think of that:

- Steroids = Clearly helps to make Usain faster.
- Him telling me the scramble = Debatable about whether or not it helps to make my time faster.

Conclusion: The analogy seems to not be fair.

We need a new WCA board.
"It wasn't his fault" is the stupidest excuse anyone can ever come up with.
Life isn't fair. Even if it wasn't your fault, it still broke the regs. Live with it.

Last edited:

Hyprul 9-ty2

WCA
2009XIAT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can we stop discussion on this matter? Whether or not you agree with the WCA's decision you should respect the decision they have made. The board has shown multiple times that it is capable of reading and handling situations like this. I think any more talk is just going to degrade into name-calling and flaming, as is the case with many forum threads.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can we stop discussion on this matter? Whether or not you agree with the WCA's decision you should respect the decision they have made. The board has shown multiple times that it is capable of reading and handling situations like this. I think any more talk is just going to degrade into name-calling and flaming, as is the case with many forum threads.

At this point the thread is really just people saying they agree/disagree with the decision based on the same recycled points.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
People always say this and I don't know why.

Because they're volunteers in charge of making difficult decisions, often getting hate even though they are using their best judgement and a lot of their free time to make these decisions. I wouldn't want to be publicly in charge of making these decisions, yet we need SOME people to or we couldn't have official competitions. They have no investment in Rami, so their majority decisions are as fair as we can get them. Regardless of how this was ruled, people would be upset

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because they're volunteers in charge of making difficult decisions, often getting hate even though they are using their best judgement and a lot of their free time to make these decisions. I wouldn't want to be publicly in charge of making these decisions, yet we need SOME people to or we couldn't have official competitions. They have no investment in Rami, so their majority decisions are as fair as we can get them. Regardless of how this was ruled, people would be upset

Beautiful. Agreed 100%. They worked hard on making this decision, gathering all possible evidence and then making a tough judgement.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We need a new WCA board.
"It wasn't his fault" is the stupidest excuse anyone can ever come up with.
Life isn't fair. Even if it wasn't your fault, it still broke the regs. Live with it.

The WCA Board supersede the regs, so if they decide so nothing breaks the regs. Suck on that.

*deliberate attempt to start a flamewar*