• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Questionable wca regulations

Future

hello, like most cubers I love the WCA but I think we can all agree there are some pretty questinonable regulation I think we should tell the WCA which rules we want to change. comment what regulation you think should change below

Last edited:

PCCuber

WCA
2022CEND01
  • 9i2) All the results of a round are considered to take place on the last calendar date of the round. If a regional record is broken multiple times on the same calendar date, only the best result is recognized as breaking that regional record.
I think that this should be changed, so that all regional records will be noted, no matter for how long.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
  • 9i2) All the results of a round are considered to take place on the last calendar date of the round. If a regional record is broken multiple times on the same calendar date, only the best result is recognized as breaking that regional record.
I think that this should be changed, so that all regional records will be noted, no matter for how long.
I feel sad for Keaton and yes, this should be changed.

povlhp

And can we be allowed to put symmetric marks on center of all pieces of the white face ? Can’t be worse than the hint you get from chipped stickers.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
None of the events in the poll should be added to the WCA. Mirror blocks is just a 3x3 shape mod and there aren't consistent, well-accepted proportions for the sizes of each layer across the various brands. Master pyraminx just combines two events that are in the WCA, pyraminx and 4x4 (which are two of the worst events IMO). 8x8-10x10 is probably the most pointless out of the three. At least mirror blocks has some shapeshifting stuff going on, and master pyraminx requires somewhat unique fingertricks. 8x8-10x10 is literally just 7x7 but longer. Even 7x7 is already kind of excessive, because it's just a bigger 6x6. Although I think 7x7 should be kept because of the parity (or lack of thereof) makes it more fun for some.

Last edited:

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
None of the events in the poll should be added to the WCA. Mirror blocks is just a 3x3 shape mod and there aren't consistent, well-accepted proportions for the sizes of each layer across the various brands. Master pyraminx just combines two events that are in the WCA, pyraminx and 4x4 (which are two of the worst events IMO). 8x8-10x10 is probably the stupidest out of the three. At least mirror blocks has some shapeshifting stuff going on, and master pyraminx requires somewhat unique fingertricks. 8x8-10x10 is literally just 7x7 but longer. Even 7x7 is already kind of excessive, because it's just a bigger 6x6. Although I think 7x7 should be kept because of the parity (or lack of thereof) makes it more fun for some.
Agreed, but I voted for master pyra just because it was the most sensible of the three

xyzzy

I think we can all agree there are some pretty stupid regulation
In saying that the regulations are "pretty stupid", you're indirectly also implying that the many people (dozens? hundreds?) involved in writing the regulations were too dumb to think of the objections you could have brought up.

There's usually a deeper reason that [insert regulation you don't like] is the way that it is.

For example:
The WCA database does not track the exact clock time at which a solve is attempted. In the event that there are two competitions held on the same day in the same region, and two people break the old regional records but at different times, the database won't know who did it first, which is a vital piece of information to determine whether to award only one regional record or to award two. This doesn't even need to involve two competitions; it could even be two people in the same round of the same competition.

Requiring score taking to also include the clock time may significantly slow down competition progress, and there's still the risk of data entry mistakes.

Edit to clarify: I don't mean to say that the regulations are perfect or that it'd be presumptuous to make suggestions on how to change them. I'm just saying that, as an evolving document, the WCA regulations have had a lot of the obvious kinks ironed out over the years, and what might seem like an "obvious" suggestion could have non-obvious drawbacks. Maybe it's still a good suggestion! (Or maybe it's not!) The suggestions are definitely still worth discussing, anyhow.

See also: Chesterton's fence.

---

Master pyraminx just combines two events that are in the WCA, pyraminx and 4x4 (which are two of the worst events IMO).
Oh, hard disagree. Master pyraminx solves are indeed somewhat similar to pyraminx solves, but unlike big cubes, it seems that the fastest method for master pyra isn't reduction-based, and even master pyra reduction method isn't all that similar to big cubes reduction method.

It's "like" a 4×4×4 only in the sense that it has three cutting planes per axis (and one of the planes is for the trivial tips!), which seems like a very superficial sense of likeness.

Last edited:

Future

None of the events in the poll should be added to the WCA. Mirror blocks is just a 3x3 shape mod and there aren't consistent, well-accepted proportions for the sizes of each layer across the various brands. Master pyraminx just combines two events that are in the WCA, pyraminx and 4x4 (which are two of the worst events IMO). 8x8-10x10 is probably the stupidest out of the three. At least mirror blocks has some shapeshifting stuff going on, and master pyraminx requires somewhat unique fingertricks. 8x8-10x10 is literally just 7x7 but longer. Even 7x7 is already kind of excessive, because it's just a bigger 6x6. Although I think 7x7 should be kept because of the parity (or lack of thereof) makes it more fun for some.
Agreed, but I voted for master pyra just because it was the most sensible of the three
I think you might dislike the new events i offerd but some people might like them

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hello, like most cubers I love the WCA but I think we can all agree there are some pretty stupid regulation I think we should tell the WCA which rules we want to change. comment what regulation you think should change below
Could you rephrase the thread topic and your comment, to remove the word stupid.

There are lot of other words that you can use if you want to address or challenge any bylaw or reg.

Also please maintain language on this forum, and do not judge anything without having the full knowledge of it.

Have a nice day!

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah there really isn't a need to add any bigger cubes than 7x7. Heck, if the list of events only went up to 5x5, I would say at most they should add one of 6x6 or 7x7. Anything bigger than that is just doing the exact same thing but for longer. As for the mirror cube, yeah like people have said, odds aren't good that it'll ever become an event because every brand on the market has different proportions. The solution isn't any different to a 3x3 either, so it wouldn't add anything to the WCA.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
And can we be allowed to put symmetric marks on center of all pieces of the white face ? Can’t be worse than the hint you get from chipped stickers.
You could just get a custom logo sticker made to have that if you wanted and it would be fine for all sighted events.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The WCA database does not track the exact clock time at which a solve is attempted. In the event that there are two competitions held on the same day in the same region, and two people break the old regional records but at different times, the database won't know who did it first, which is a vital piece of information to determine whether to award only one regional record or to award two. This doesn't even need to involve two competitions; it could even be two people in the same round of the same competition.

Requiring score taking to also include the clock time may significantly slow down competition progress, and there's still the risk of data entry mistakes.

Additionally, this gives an inherent advantage to those closest to the date line on the side of the eastern hemisphere in being able to break records before comps start that weekend in other parts of the world. But your point is far more relevant.

kubesolver

Premium Member
"All the results of a round are considered to take place on the last calendar date of the round."

Is it possible that some competitor is given an extra that takes place on the next day thus delaying any record that happened earlier that round?

My personal least favorite WCA regulation is
WCA Competition Requirements Policy
2. Location(s)
2.3 Competitions will be accepted regarding proximity if there are no other competitions within
100 km driving distance and less than 19 days away.

I have heard arguments from Kit on LBL podcast that he'd rather see this regulation even more strict.
If I remember correctly the arguments were that having too many competitions would make average competition smaller, therefor less attractive and possibly less appealing to newcomers and would limit the growth of speedcubing community. There was also an argument that allowing people more record-breaking attempts is somehow undesired.

In my experience the best thing for growth of local communities are fixed frequent (e.g. weekly) local tournaments that attract 10-30 people. The same venue, the same easy organization. An event where a sporadic traveler can meet the locals.

I don't think current bigger comps would suffer from that addition.

I also think it would even out the chances for all good people to get more records. The current situation massively favors people who have means (both in terms of money and time) to travel all over the world / continent attending every possible comp.

Last edited:

Romy4

None of the events in the poll should be added to the WCA. Mirror blocks is just a 3x3 shape mod and there aren't consistent, well-accepted proportions for the sizes of each layer across the various brands. Master pyraminx just combines two events that are in the WCA, pyraminx and 4x4 (which are two of the worst events IMO). 8x8-10x10 is probably the most pointless out of the three. At least mirror blocks has some shapeshifting stuff going on, and master pyraminx requires somewhat unique fingertricks. 8x8-10x10 is literally just 7x7 but longer. Even 7x7 is already kind of excessive, because it's just a bigger 6x6. Although I think 7x7 should be kept because of the parity (or lack of thereof) makes it more fun for some.
Yes I agree! I was looking for a “none of the above”option

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
"All the results of a round are considered to take place on the last calendar date of the round."

Is it possible that some competitor is given an extra that takes place on the next day thus delaying any record that happened earlier that round?

My personal least favorite WCA regulation is

I have heard arguments from Kit on LBL podcast that he'd rather see this regulation even more strict.
If I remember correctly the arguments were that having too many competitions would make average competition smaller, therefor less attractive and possibly less appealing to newcomers and would limit the growth of speedcubing community. There was also an argument that allowing people more record-breaking attempts is somehow undesired.

In my experience the best thing for growth of local communities are fixed frequent (e.g. weekly) local tournaments that attract 10-30 people. The same venue, the same easy organization. An event where a sporadic traveler can meet the locals.

I don't think current bigger comps would suffer from that addition.

I also think it would even out the chances for all good people to get more records. The current situation massively favors people who have means (both in terms of money and time) to travel all over the world / continent attending every possible comp.
I completely agree. The idea that more competitions is a negative makes no sense.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why would you do this? Even if you did it because of colorblindness, that's already allowed.

As for a regulation I'd like to change, I don't really have any grievances that haven't already been aired in this thread. If I did have one thing to say I would put it out there that 7b is rarely followed (
  • 7b) Spectators must remain at least 1.5 meters away from the solving stations when they are in use.
It's really annoying as staff and as a competitor when someone gets right up in front of the table to record a solve or something. I'm not sure how often it happens worldwide, but where I live it used to happen 3-5 times per event. It's very distracting for everyone involved. Thankfully when we started putting those queue barriers in front of the tables people started to back off.

But if adding a regulation is up for game, I'd suggest adding another regulation to Article 7 regarding judges being noisy and distracting. It's happened to all of us, You're just trying to do a solve and your judge happens to be cubing with an extremely loud puzzle. I was doing a 6x6 solve and my judge whipped out a skewb and started spamming sledges. It was beyond distracting. It's already pretty common courtesy to not do this, and often it just takes a staff member, organizer, or delegate to tell a judge to quit it and they stop. But making this into an official regulation can do even more in preventing behavior that's distracting.

povlhp

I want markers so I can see difference between yellow and white in a room without bright light. If the color blind can mark pieces, why can't we all ? I know there is the suspicion people might make some they can recognize, thus knowing the backside of top pieces. But is this really a problem ? And why should colorblind have an advantage ?

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Center slice moves should count as one turn in fewest moves events.
They should absolutely not. A slice move is turning 2 layers at once just like a r is really turning L x. Just because M' is one motion does not mean it's one move. (I get that r isn't a perfect example because rotations don't count as move but the point was you're just combing multiple thing into one turn.)

Last edited:

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
As for a regulation I'd like to change, I don't really have any grievances that haven't already been aired in this thread. If I did have one thing to say I would put it out there that 7b is rarely followed (It's really annoying as staff and as a competitor when someone gets right up in front of the table to record a solve or something. I'm not sure how often it happens worldwide, but where I live it used to happen 3-5 times per event. It's very distracting for everyone involved. Thankfully when we started putting those queue barriers in front of the tables people started to back off.
At the comps here, they have 2-3 rows of chairs set up the required 1.5 meters away from the competitors, and it seems to keep the problem under control very well. Just make it clear at the beginning of every comp that you can’t go past the front row of chairs. If your local comps aren’t doing this, it might be something to being up to the delegates/organizers.
But if adding a regulation is up for game, I'd suggest adding another regulation to Article 7 regarding judges being noisy and distracting. It's happened to all of us, You're just trying to do a solve and your judge happens to be cubing with an extremely loud puzzle. I was doing a 6x6 solve and my judge whipped out a skewb and started spamming sledges. It was beyond distracting. It's already pretty common courtesy to not do this, and often it just takes a staff member, organizer, or delegate to tell a judge to quit it and they stop. But making this into an official regulation can do even more in preventing behavior that's distracting.
Even though it’s never happened to me, I have seen this happen before, and I’m really disappointed in the people that do it. (Also, sorry for your experience; I assume that the skewb was an Aoyan, and that’s a really noisy cube.) People shouldn’t have a cube or their phone out while they are judging, because that’s just really rude. I definitely agree that a regulation should be added to prevent this.