• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Quest for Sub-8 with ZZ [Week 2]

Q

QuestionableCuber

Week 1 is almost over so i decided to quickly make a status update,
I have learned COLL
I have unfortunately not gotten fully sub-17 more like sub-18
Also have increased TPS a little bit

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Phil Yu uses ZZ-VH and he's one of the best ZZ'ers with a PB of 7.12
Chris Tran uses ZZ-CT and everybody thinks he's a legit guy with a pb of 8.29
also Chris tran doesn't even use zz-ct
Phil does not use ZZ-VH...
Vandenbergh-Harris is a last slot technique to orient the edges, primarily used with CFOP. Phill uses ZZ, with what mostly looks like normal OCLL/PLL, from what I've seen from his cubicle solves.
He was one of the best ZZers and one of the people who put ZZ on the map, proving that it was a legit method that could get results that rivaled CFOP, but right now there are people who are much faster than him (namely Dale Palmares and Simon Kalhofer). Both use EOCross and ZBLL.

Chris, last I knew, still uses CT, but yes, is also not a super fast cuber. ZZ-CT can be decent, but ZZ-a is definitely better.

And as others have said, their single times are not necessarily indicative of their speed (and if it did, wouldn't that mean that ZZ-CT isn't capable of a sub-8 average, which is what OP wants?).

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Phil does not use ZZ-VH...
Vandenbergh-Harris is a last slot technique to orient the edges, primarily used with CFOP. Phill uses ZZ, with what mostly looks like normal OCLL/PLL, from what I've seen from his cubicle solves.

ZZ-VH is where you do COLL EPLL for LL, not where you use VHLS

Q

QuestionableCuber

Week 2 has begun! if you have any suggestions on what to learn feel free to leave them here!

Q

QuestionableCuber

Start off by making sure you can plan EOLine every solve, then increase that. It should be your primary focus until you can inspect it virtually every solve. Also definitely be y axis neutral if you aren't already.
Already got the EOline in every solve (took a while to get down though) and I've almost fully gotten y axis neutral

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Almost forgot, reconstructed solve of the week #2
I did alright (not really)

z2 // Inspection

U' F' D' L' R' D2 B2 //EOCross

EOCross is fine, really lucky lol. Maybe do U2 F2 D2 instead of D2 B2, it adds a move but prevents that B move

U' R U2 R' U' L U' L' // 1st pair

Good, probably what I would've done

D R' U' R D' // 2nd Pair

Clever solution, I would've done R U' R' U2 R U' R', which is just as fast

U L' U' L U L' U L U' R' U R // 3rd pair

U L' U' L is fine, but why didn't you just do U' R' U' R? It saves a bunch of moves and is pretty obvious

U2 r U r' U' r' F r F' // 4th Pair

Probably going to use that for that case lol

COLL and EPLL are fine

Q

QuestionableCuber

Quick update:
Just started slowing down TPS, this has made my solves smoother and better lookahead. This slower TPS has also made my solves better, I will probably keep this slower TPS until more speed is required.

Q

QuestionableCuber

finally learned zz-b phasing after being stupid so decided to learn some zzll because why not, less algs, lightweight technique