• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Proposal] Rename the Ortega 2x2 Method to Varasano

I never even knew about this... of course Jeff Varasano deserves credit for it. I'm going to start calling it the Varasano method as well.

But I feel like Ortega should at least get some credit for spreading the word around about the method. If the method was never well-known, what use does that have? Maybe change the name to something like Varasano-Ortega or something?

Last edited:

cashis

this will be the first time a "name switch" has happened though, if we pull this off. But I'm all for it.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What - why?

I doubt Fridrich was the first person to create the Fridrich method.
I doubt Petrus was the first person to create the Petrus method.
I doubt Roux was the first person to create the Roux method.
I doubt Zbigniew was the first person to create the ZZ method.

Last edited:

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What - why?

Would you mind telling me who WAS the first person to create all those?

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What - why?

The difference here is we DO know who created this method.
You don't know who created all of those.

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What - why?

Well, maybe he is working on finding the real first users of those methods too and this is just the start of a thing?

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would you mind telling me who WAS the first person to create all those?

No idea.
That said, you should never assume an idea you have is original.
There are many cubers in the world, and most of them aren't here on SpeedSolving ready to report the year the created some method.

One example, though: I 'created' ZZ in early 2008, before it was brought into the English-speaking world later that year.
CFOP is a very natural progression from the 'beginners' method.
Roux in various forms has been around long before 2003, in the form of Waterman-like methods.
The only interesting part of Petrus' progress is the EO step in the middle of the solve. Beyond that, the method is "make a thing, and expand it a few times."

I don't mean to discredit anyone for their work, but making a method popular by documenting it well takes possibly *more* effort than inventing a method.
I invented tons of methods, but they don't matter at all unless you document them and prove their worth.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't mean to discredit anyone for their work, but making a method popular by documenting it well takes possibly *more* effort than inventing a method.
I invented tons of methods, but they don't matter at all unless you document them and prove their worth.

To be fair, he did document it in his 1981 book, which I believe was before the release of any 2x2x2.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Well, I said that because I remember a few years ago there being a movement on this forum about that. I feel like Cubecast might have had a hand in that (as in, the idea started there, and another user went through with a poll or something). It's hard to remember, so I don't want to point fingers, but I feel like that's how it happened. Either way - I think the gist of it is that Fridrich is now referred to as CFOP because it was found out the idea was not original.

That said, you should never assume an idea you have is original.

At some point, an idea is certainly original. Really though, that's not the point here. The point is that Varasano had the first documented source of this method, and it appears that Chris wants the name to be appropriate.

There are many cubers in the world, and most of them aren't here on SpeedSolving ready to report the year the created some method.

Including Jeff Varasano. While he does have a Speedsolving username, he didn't lobby for this name change on here. I believe he has posted just a few times, mainly in his thread looking for cubers in his area. To my knowledge, he doesn't visit the forum anymore. This actually happened incidentally while he was explaining his 3x3 method to a group of us. We realized "Wow, that is the Ortega method!"

rybaby

WCA
2013PRZY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Jeff Varasano the 1981 US champion invented and published the Ortega method in 1981 (but for 3x3) long before Ortega even thought about cubing.

Actually, Jeff was not the 1981 US champion; Minh Thai was (which sent him to WC 1982). He did have the fastest time out of anyone in the qualifying competitions, however, at 24.67 seconds (technically the NR of the day).

Totally for the name change; I used to use Varasano's method for 3x3, before I even knew other people called it "Ortega."