• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Potential Thesis Study

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Inspired by Mr. Pochmann's awesome thesis, I have decided to do whatever I can to make my own thesis something to do with the Rubik's Cube.

The idea I came up with (in the shower, of course) is a definite study on colour neutrality. I could assess things like how long it takes to find and execute a cross, execution of each CE pair, OLL and PLL. The main thing to look at would be recognition relative to speed of solve.
This could be done using a whole lot of analyses and all sorts of techniques to remove biases and such although the gory details are unnecessary for here and not really worth thinking about unless I really could do it.
This would be relevant to Psychology in the fields of vision and cognition when thinking about recognition and reaction time and execution time etc. The only problem with this is, I'm more into clinical psychology, and it would be hard to spin this kind of study in favour of it, although I'll do all I can to get it on the Rubik's cube.

So what do you guys think?
Necessary?
Waste of time?
Impossible to do accurately?
I'm too desparate to make everyone colour neutral?

abbracadiabra

I think it would be very interesting, Dene, and I'm sure your research will be of value although I'm not so sure it relates to clinical psychology. You know more about that than me, though.

One suggestion - don't limit your color neutrality study to one method or solving style (i.e., CFOP). I think you should consider various methods and solving styles in your study, and I think you may find out that some methods lend themselves to color neutrality more than others.

In terms of psychology, I wonder what you might find out about color neutral solvers that doesn't apply too all solvers?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking in terms of colour neutral people having a better cross while specific cross colour people will have faster recognition for CE pairs and OLL + PLL. If it could be shown that one group had a significant result over another we could gain a better understanding of the benefits (or losses) of colour neutral solvers and same cross colour solvers.

I would potentially look into different methods but that is getting a bit ahead of myself (I'm already getting way ahead of myself >.<)

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thats tough. But interesting thing to look at is exactly how much easier is it to be color neutral? What is the max move count to achieve a "neutral cross" as opposed to white cross, and also what is it in average?

you can also compare that to people that are 2-neutral, so they do white or yellow crosses only.

immortalcube

I'm semi 2-neutral (I'll make a 2x2 anywhere, but always expand with either white or yellow on the D face). I'd be interested in seeing how this applies to other methods than just CFOP. Because I always use white or yellow on the D face, I always look for the same edge pieces, and that gives me faster recognition, but a lot of times I see that there are easier CE pairs that I could do if I had other colors on the D face.

MiloD

My personal opinion as a color neutral cuber (CNC, hehehe I love TLA's) is that there is no disadvantage when it comes to LL.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You say it isn't "worth it" but what do you mean? You make it sound as though the effort to become colour netural would be strenuous and time consuming. It really isn't. I bet after an average of 12 using any colour other than your normal one and you would be fine.