• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possibly writing a book?

Chuck

WCA
2009ADIW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow Chuck I had no idea you were publishing a book! Congratulations!

May I send a copy to your speedcubing.com mail address?
I want to say thanks for the signature you gave to my cube at WC. :)

Brian, I guess that is your answer that you should stick to your goal.Chris

Exactly.
Many people are too afraid to even start to write a book (any book) because they are not ready for bad critics, or are afraid that they can't meet the reader's expectation. They could have great potential, but it will just be buried.

Just do your best, Byu.

And give me your email address.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this is just a bad idea. I mean, chuck is catering to an ill-informed audience that will buy the book as it would be easiest for them, but a book by byu will be for Americans. First problem: Americans don't like to read. Second problem, internet access is a basic necessity in most western countries; everyone has it. Therefore this book will appeal to a very small number of people. I don't think many cubers would be interested, and non-cubers will just think "isn't that pretty" and walk on.
byu: I think you need to be a little less ambitious, and direct your time and productivity towards something considerably more useful.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
No no, wait, no seriously, that generalization about Americans does hold some footing, among teenagers.

On facebook, and youtube, next to the "Books" section, I can see "lol i dnt red buks." or even "no"

Seriously, even in my high school of 2000+ people, the reading team was 7 people, and during competitions, I didn't even have the minimum amount of people show up.

yoruichi

WCA
2007YUAL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
rigorous proof of why u shouldn't do this:
audience = 50 people
publishing cost = 1000 dollar
selling price = 10 dollar
50 x 10 = 500 dollar
profit = revenue - cost = 500 - 1000 = -500 = failz0rs
that concludes the proof

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, you might consider using www.lulu.com. It might mean a higher price for the book, and it might mean you don't get much profit, but it means you won't have any up-front money to do the publishing. It's essentially publishing for free - just the cost of making each book as they come along. Even if you only sell 5 books, they look nice and no one loses any money.

(that concludes the refutation of the proof) :)

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow Chuck I had no idea you were publishing a book! Congratulations!

May I send a copy to your speedcubing.com mail address?
I want to say thanks for the signature you gave to my cube at WC. :)

Brian, I guess that is your answer that you should stick to your goal.Chris

Exactly.
Many people are too afraid to even start to write a book (any book) because they are not ready for bad critics, or are afraid that they can't meet the reader's expectation. They could have great potential, but it will just be buried.

Just do your best, Byu.

And give me your email address.

I'll do my best. I can't say anything more than that. I'll PM you my email address.

I think this is just a bad idea. I mean, chuck is catering to an ill-informed audience that will buy the book as it would be easiest for them, but a book by byu will be for Americans. First problem: Americans don't like to read. Second problem, internet access is a basic necessity in most western countries; everyone has it. Therefore this book will appeal to a very small number of people. I don't think many cubers would be interested, and non-cubers will just think "isn't that pretty" and walk on.
byu: I think you need to be a little less ambitious, and direct your time and productivity towards something considerably more useful.

Considerably more useful... I'm sure there are many things that are more useful than writing a book. But I'm not trying to be "ambitious", I'm just trying to combine two of my hobbies (cubing and writing) while at the same time helping people.

First problem: Americans don't like to read.
Crude generalization. A lot of us love to read (myself included).

(500th post!)

I like to read too.

rigorous proof of why u shouldn't do this:
audience = 50 people
publishing cost = 1000 dollar
selling price = 10 dollar
50 x 10 = 500 dollar
profit = revenue - cost = 500 - 1000 = -500 = failz0rs
that concludes the proof

Actually, you might consider using www.lulu.com. It might mean a higher price for the book, and it might mean you don't get much profit, but it means you won't have any up-front money to do the publishing. It's essentially publishing for free - just the cost of making each book as they come along. Even if you only sell 5 books, they look nice and no one loses any money.

(that concludes the refutation of the proof) :)

In response to the two of you, I am actually going to use CreateSpace:

http://createspace.com

No publishing fees up front, it will bind the books and sell them for me. All I have to worry about is writing the book and setting the price.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
In response to the two of you, I am actually going to use CreateSpace:

http://createspace.com

No publishing fees up front, it will bind the books and sell them for me. All I have to worry about is writing the book and setting the price.

Sounds like a direct competitor to lulu, and looks pretty good. I honestly don't see how anyone can lose by publishing a book with a company like this, as long as you know of a person who would actually want to buy the book. The beauty of the modern self-publishing era.