• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possible WCA Comp in Chicago Area?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Bob, thanks and I'm probably gonna ask a delegate directly. Also, is everyone okay with the schedule in my post above? I'm also thinking of switching out FMC with Megaminx, but idk if more people generally do Megaminx than FMC.

Ghost Cuber

WCA
2015WINT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bob, thanks and I'm probably gonna ask a delegate directly. Also, is everyone okay with the schedule in my post above? I'm also thinking of switching out FMC with Megaminx, but idk if more people generally do Megaminx than FMC.
I can't go so it doesn't impact me. The event list looks great but I would suggest doing 8 A.M. to 7 P.M. instead of 10 A.M. to 9 P.M.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I like that there's time for dinner after FMC before the awards ceremony. This will give you time to check FMC scramblers and finish generating certificates.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Your priority needs to be finding a venue and a delegate before you start working out the schedule. The venue will determine how many competitors you can accommodate as well as other restrictions - if for instance they want you cleaned up and out by 6pm (which is not uncommon for a one day venue rental), you may not have time for FMC which takes over an hour, much less a 9pm award ceremony.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now, the two venues I'm looking at are Glenview Park Center and Odeum Expo Center. I'm trying to compare prices and quality so I can make a choice. We also need to pay for catering and equipment. I've seen the sizes of the venues on the websites and both seem like they can handle up to 115 competitors + guests, maybe that could be our competitor limit. For catering I'm thinking of sandwiches or burgers, whatever is cheap and good to be honest.

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Usually late ending comps are not a good idea, 9-6 is usually pretty average because people driving a few hours don't want to get home to late, but that's just my opinion

YouTube
Visit Channel
New schedule:
Check-in (8:00 AM)
Pyraminx
2x2 R1
3x3 R1
4x4 R1 simultaneously with OH
Lunch (1:15 PM)
Skewb
3x3 R2
2x2 Finals right before 4x4 Finals
3x3 Finals
FMC
Dinner
Awards (7:45 PM)

EDIT: My idea for prices is that there will only be prizes for 3x3 podiums. 1st Place will have a choice between a Gans 356 Air, QiYi Valk 3, and MoYu Weilong GTS-M v2. 2nd Place will choose from the remaining two and 3rd gets the remaining one. Other podiums will get coupons for thecubicle.us. People placing 4th-8th place in any event will get a certificate and there will also be honorable mentions.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1afPCIZXow5hXLddh55DNvfTWvjraI98y4RpuGOsvDCA/edit?usp=sharing
I've made a plan for the schedule. Please point out ANY mistakes you find here since I'm very likely to mess up the schedule since this is the first time I've organized a competition. All the predicted competitor counts are made from a competitor limit of 100. Please can someone help find a cheap venue because I'm not really good at that sort of thing. I will email a couple delegates in the area to ask if they can come.

YouTube
Visit Channel
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1afPCIZXow5hXLddh55DNvfTWvjraI98y4RpuGOsvDCA/edit?usp=sharing
I've made a plan for the schedule. Please point out ANY mistakes you find here since I'm very likely to mess up the schedule since this is the first time I've organized a competition. All the predicted competitor counts are made from a competitor limit of 100. Please can someone help find a cheap venue because I'm not really good at that sort of thing. I will email a couple delegates in the area to ask if they can come.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Your cutoffs seem strange to me. Why does 2x2 have a 20 second cutoff but Pyraminx has a 1:15 cutoff? Also, I don't think you need a time limit for 2x2/3x3/4x4 finals. Anyone who makes it that far is probably fast enough that they won't take too much time out of the competition. :p

I also feel like the times you're allotting for certain events are a bit off. Personally, I'd imagine a 3x3 round with 90 competitors would take closer to 1:30, and it's always better to overestimate and be ahead of schedule than to underestimate and be behind. I also feel that it'll be difficult to hold 4x4 AND OH in just an hour. These are both relatively long events compared to the other events you have scheduled, and I feel like it'd be better to split them up.

MKCUBES

WCA
2017KANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I live in Glenview, IL (a northern suburb of Chicago) and have been cubing for only a year. There hasn't been a cubing competition in Chicago for a very long time and I'm hoping that the Chicagoland cubing community can come together and start an official competition. I bet there are many cubers from IL, Southern WI, Northwest IN, and Southwest MI who want an official competition really badly.

For venues, I'm thinking of either Navy Pier, since it's pretty much a straight highway drive from O'Hare and the hotels nearby plus it's nearby the tourist spots and the famous restaurant Billy Goat, or the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, since it's also a highway drive and it's closer to the airport.

If you have any suggestions or if you have experience in CubingUSA/WCA comps, please reply. Also reply if you live in Chicagoland and you share the same feelings.

We should have comps in Kansas City, Sioux Falls, and St. Louis

WCA
2013ZWER01
YouTube
Visit Channel
imho 2x2 and pyraminx don't need cutoffs. But 4x4 should have a cutoff. The idea of a cutoff is to weed out slow competitors so time is not wasted.

And As DG said, 4x4 and OH should not be held at the same time.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would give pyra a 5m time limit and a 1m cutoff, same with 2x2 and skewb. I would give OH a 1m cutoff and 2m time limit, 4x4 a 2m cutoff and 4m time limit. 3x3 10m time limit without cutoff and r2 doesn't need a cutoff either. You could cut 15m of extra FMC time and divided up 4x4/OH since that seems weird having them in the same time slot.
GL on your comp. I've been following the thread and I can only hope that if it ends up happening that it goes well.

YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, so we REALLY need to find a venue. This thread's been super silent and I definitely need help finding a venue. Please give some ideas and how much they cost. It's really amazing how much help I've gotten from this thread and I just wanna say that this comp is starting to become a reality.

EDIT: Also, Doing Cubing, has your meetup already happened? If not, can I have some info about it?

Last edited:

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't had much time to speak with my friends since the first few weeks of school have been so rough, but I'm thinking instead we would meet up at a comp, like bulldog or chicaghosts. I might be able to have a meetup on the 16th if you're not going to bulldog, but I don't really have any concrete information yet, I'll have to see whether everyone can make it or not, then I have to secure a place. Most likely, it would be at the Elmhurst Public Library.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've requested a reservation at the Glenview Park Center along with some questions, so we're going to book our venue soon. If they even allow food in the gym, lunch will just be pizza, $1.50 a slice plus soda, $2 a pop. I made a Google Site for people who are interested to tell me so I know how much attention this comp will get.

The site: sites.google.com/view/glenviewopen2017

WCA
2013ZWER01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've requested a reservation at the Glenview Park Center along with some questions, so we're going to book our venue soon. If they even allow food in the gym, lunch will just be pizza, $1.50 a slice plus soda, $2 a pop. I made a Google Site for people who are interested to tell me so I know how much attention this comp will get.

The site: sites.google.com/view/glenviewopen2017
You're doing everything backwards.

You don't need to decide the price of food, send out staff survey forms, etc. Have you even talked to a delegate? By the looks of this thread, it seems like you haven't.

Until you have the delegate, date, venue, and time decided, and once it's official, then you can start getting nitty gritty with the stuff you're doing now.

But until then, you're just wasting your time.

And isn't there already comps in Chicago this fall?