• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possible WCA Comp in Chicago Area?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I live in Glenview, IL (a northern suburb of Chicago) and have been cubing for only a year. There hasn't been a cubing competition in Chicago for a very long time and I'm hoping that the Chicagoland cubing community can come together and start an official competition. I bet there are many cubers from IL, Southern WI, Northwest IN, and Southwest MI who want an official competition really badly.

For venues, I'm thinking of either Navy Pier, since it's pretty much a straight highway drive from O'Hare and the hotels nearby plus it's nearby the tourist spots and the famous restaurant Billy Goat, or the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, since it's also a highway drive and it's closer to the airport.

If you have any suggestions or if you have experience in CubingUSA/WCA comps, please reply. Also reply if you live in Chicagoland and you share the same feelings.

Last edited:

aybuck37

WCA
2015BUCK03
Oh yeah that would be cool! I think there was cat and mouse. I forgot when that was though

Oh and comps in Wisconsin are pretty common!

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Comps in Wisconsin happen pretty frequently and are run very well.
Dixon (~2h west of chicago) host a competition once or twice every year.
Cat and Mouse 2017 happened this spring and was held inside chicago.
Navy pier would be awful because traffic would be thick, renting a venue would be expensive and parking would be impossible.

I do want another competition to happen in chicago (I had a track meet and had to miss CaM2017), and several threads have been opened discussing a chicago comp but nothing ever really happens. I'm totally open to helping staff this comp if it happens, though I haven't actually staffed a comp before, other than judging all day.

I hope whatever plans you have come together so we can have another comp!

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with you, Chicago, while it is a big urban area and i'm sure there are many cubers, often gets ignored. I'm planning to get ahold of some of my friends and setup a cubing meetup somewhere around late August. I live around the Dupage/Cook county area. Anyone who is interested is welcome. It most likely will be held in the Dupage county area, and I will have more info towards the actual date, but maybe, if enough people come, we could start planning a comp during this meetup.

YouTube
Visit Channel
There's no delegate from IL, possibly we should ask one from IN WI or MI.

I agree with you, Chicago, while it is a big urban area and i'm sure there are many cubers, often gets ignored. I'm planning to get ahold of some of my friends and setup a cubing meetup somewhere around late August. I live around the Dupage/Cook county area. Anyone who is interested is welcome. It most likely will be held in the Dupage county area, and I will have more info towards the actual date, but maybe, if enough people come, we could start planning a comp during this meetup.
I'd love to come since I'm only around 40 minutes from the Addison/Villa Park area, if that's where you live. But how old are you and your friends since I'm only eleven and I don't wanna be the only one showing up who's not twenty or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd love to come since I'm only around 40 minutes from the Addison/Villa Park area, if that's where you live. But how old are you and your friends since I'm only eleven and I don't wanna be the only one showing up who's not twenty or something.
Me and my friends are going into 8th grade, so we are around 13/14. You'd definitely be welcome to come.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going into 6th, so yeah.

Also, I think we're all gonna have to seriously raise money if we wanna have a tourney. All the expenses will prob total up to around $5000, so we all have to chip in. I think we can do it definitely.

CubingUSA/WCA should provide the Stackmats and other things though.

Last edited by a moderator:

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also, I think we're all gonna have to seriously raise money if we wanna have a tourney. All the expenses will prob total up to around $5000, so we all have to chip in. I think we can do it definitely.

You can usually include that in the registration fee

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

A local competition should never cost more than $2000, and I'm being fairly conservative on that estimate. Maybe NY or LA would be more than that, but you don't need to rent venues in expensive areas of town for people traveling locally.

And that estimate would include the use of any equipment - that doesn't just come for free. Equipment wears down/breaks, and there have to be some funds to replace it.

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel

Assuming that we have lets say, a 100 competitor limit, and a $20 entrance fee, we will get $2000 worth of entrance fees, which should be enough to pay for the venue, and equipment, as kit Clement has stated. All we would have to do is find an affordable venue, decide on the events, and make a working schedule.

WCA
2013BARK01
Assuming that we have lets say, a 100 competitor limit, and a $20 entrance fee, we will get $2000 worth of entrance fees, which should be enough to pay for the venue, and equipment, as kit Clement has stated. All we would have to do is find an affordable venue, decide on the events, and make a working schedule.
I've kinda tried to organize a comp before (didn't get too far) and I had some trouble finding a Delegate. That was the main thing that killed it.

and are you Logan?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think we should have a 150 competitor limit since Chicago is the third largest city in the US.

Possible Events List: 3x3, 2x2, Pyra, Skewb, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, 3x3 FMC, Square-1, Mega

Also, the comp should be two-day, with the first day being qualifiers and second day being finals. It could also be three-day with the first two days being qualifiers and third day being finals. It all depends on the amount of competitors.

Reply with a Y or N for the Events List.

Last edited:
WCA
2013BARK01
I think we should have a 150 competitor limit since Chicago is the third largest city in the US.

Possible Events List: 3x3, 2x2, Pyra, Skewb, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, 3x3 FMC, Square-1, Mega

Also, the comp should be two-day, with the first day being qualifiers and second day being finals. It could also be three-day with the first two days being qualifiers and third day being finals. It all depends on the amount of competitors.

Reply with a Y or N for the Events List.
I probably wouldn't be able to go, but here's my opinion of an ideal schedule for a 2-day, 150 person competition:

SATURDAY:
Before lunch:
Pyraminx
Skewb
4x4
After lunch:
BLD
Megaminx
Squan
5x5
FMC (after dinner, 6:30 to 7:30 maybe)

SUNDAY:
Before lunch:
2x2
3x3
After lunch:
2x2 R2
3x3 R2
Pyraminx R2
2x2 R3
3x3 R3
2x2 R4
3x3 R4
Awards

yeah I guess I'm biased towards 2x2 and 3x3, but those are the good events

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I probably wouldn't be able to go, but here's my opinion of an ideal schedule for a 2-day, 150 person competition:

SATURDAY:
Before lunch:
Pyraminx
Skewb
4x4
After lunch:
BLD
Megaminx
Squan
5x5
FMC (after dinner, 6:30 to 7:30 maybe)

SUNDAY:
Before lunch:
2x2
3x3
After lunch:
2x2 R2
3x3 R2
Pyraminx R2
2x2 R3
3x3 R3
2x2 R4
3x3 R4
Awards

yeah I guess I'm biased towards 2x2 and 3x3, but those are the good events
I think that hosting a smaller, one day competition towards the outskirts of Chicago, maybe the closer suburbs, would be easier to handle, since, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no one here has hosted a competition before and a 2/3 day 150 competitor competition is a really big thing to handle.

As for events, looking at the recent comps in IL, Dixon and Cat and mouse, and ideal event list would probably be like:
3x3, SQ1, Skewb, Mega, 4x4, 2x2.
Square-1 and Skweb weren't at both Dixon and Cat and Mouse, so they would be good choices.

For delegates, there's Walker Welch, who was the delegate for Dixon Spring 2017, James Hildreth, who was the delegate for Cat and Mouse 2017, and Slater Metz, the delegate for ChicaGhosts 2017.

Last edited: