• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PLL Time Attack - Forgetting Algs?

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This will sound exactly like before, but this is a little unusual (maybe not for you, but definitely for me).

I just "vaguely" picked up on the G-perms so that I can now execute them pretty fluently about 85% of the time (LOL), and the N perm(b) about 92% of the time (yes, I actually tried it 100 times and failed 8 times)... so I wanted to try a PLL time attack...

It was about 1 minute in and I only did the 4 G perms, J and J(L), T and 1 N perm, when I crapped out and FORGOT the other N-perm...

Am I a miserable failure at PLL Time Attacks or does this happen to people who JUST finish PLL and are starting their "getting faster" part (I wanna sub-80 it before TOW)??

WCA
2008HERR01
I think it happens to people who JUST FINISHED THEIR PLL (sorry, had to emphasize) way more often. Just memorize the order in which the algs go...then do it.

Rush learning PLLs may make you forget some at the beginning. (I learned all of mine in about 1 1/2 hours, but it took me about 15 minutes to get totally used to them. I guess I am a somewhat fast learner haha)

Last edited:

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just did it!!! (before I read EH's post) -- 2:19.03...

Man, I'm horrid. :(

EDIT: It seems to be a matter of which ones I haven't done yet; I can't seem to keep track of which ones I still have to do so I assume a random one I haven't done and go with that; but that makes it harder later on because I have a tendency to do random T-perms when I'm nervous.

bundat

Never happened to me, but that's probably because I didn't rush learning PLLs.
I just learned one at a time, and didn't learn a new one until I drilled the PLL I just learned by doing it for hours the entire day or two (just walking around doing the PLL). I didn't even review the first few PLLs I learned, and while I admit that I "sorta forgot" how they started for a while, after a few seconds, I "just do it" and my hands just work on their own. It also had an added side-effect, I was surprised to find out I was sub-3 (or better) on all PLLs without even trying for it.

I didn't even start PLL time attacking though until sub-30.
I had to read the order off of a piece of paper everytime, but the first time I ever tried it, I barely got sub-60.

So I suggest you just train your bad PLLs first before attempting to time attack.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
make a list, or print out pictures of the perms that don't have the actual algs.

I wouldn't really be worrying about your PLL time attacks right now. I would come back in a week or two after some practice.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Second Try (CubeMania): 1:51.22.

Going for 3rd, then going to bed... gotta do homework too... ><

EDIT: 3rd try: 2:12.88...

I gotta work on order / G-perm recognition.

Other than that, I think I'm getting better. :D

Last edited: