• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Picking a title for a self introduction is so stressful so I'm not going to do it

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
:D!! HI!! A female cuber around my age!! It is amazing. I felt so alone. LOL. We are getting married Sept. 15th. Yeah I actually assigned genders to all my cubes... and maybe named them... *uncomfortable silence and fidgets*... soooo... yeah...

I hope I stay active here too I am really excited to get to know some people who won't judge me for wanting to cube for 5 hours a day.

Block building huh? I will look into Roux.

Thanks!!!

Yeah, female and older cubers are way in the minority but there are a few here and there. That's cool you named your cubes. May I ask what their names are? Hope your wedding planning doesn't stress you out too much. Get more friends and family to help. Fortunately for me, I've been there and done that. :)

I assure you nobody is going to judge you for wanting to cube 5 hours a day because there are enough people who actually do cube 5+ hours a day. Maybe I would be one of those if I weren't so busy.

Edit: Related to OP: I cross-stitch.

Lady Pitch

Yeah, female and older cubers are way in the minority but there are a few here and there. That's cool you named your cubes. May I ask what their names are? Hope your wedding planning doesn't stress you out too much. Get more friends and family to help. Fortunately for me, I've been there and done that. :)

I assure you nobody is going to judge you for wanting to cube 5 hours a day because there are enough people who actually do cube 5+ hours a day. Maybe I would be one of those if I weren't so busy.

Edit: Related to OP: I cross-stitch.

Names... my original Rubik's cube is named "Vo" it is named after the friend of mine that taught me how to solve it. It is also a pain in my ass just like my friend. ;) I consider that one male... because why not. My GuHong is named "Pocket" because it has a small black pock mark in the yellow of the red/green/yellow corner and I carry her with me everywhere. "Pocket" is also the name of one of my favorite Christopher Moore characters... and it is a she, clearly.
My WeiLong is named "Catch"... mainly because it is too fast for me and I literally am always dropping it, this is also the name of another Moore character that is a demon... something that fast has to be demonic. Truth.

I cross stitch as well!! :D There are very few thread crafts that I haven't taught myself, but I have to be careful because I will stab myself with a needle faster than you can blink. O_O

Last edited:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Names... my original Rubik's cube is named "Vo" it is named after the friend of mine that taught me how to solve it. It is also a pain in my ass just like my friend. ;) I consider that one male... because why not. My GuHong is named "Pocket" because it has a small black pock mark in the yellow of the red/green/yellow corner and I carry her with me everywhere. "Pocket" is also the name of one of my favorite Christopher Moore characters... and it is a she, clearly.
My WeiLong is named "Catch"... mainly because it is too fast for me and I literally am always dropping it, this is also the name of another Moore character that is a demon... something that fast has to be demonic. Truth.

I cross stitch as well!! :D There are very few thread crafts that I haven't taught myself, but I have to be careful because I will stab myself with a needle faster than you can blink. O_O

Cool names. First time I heard of people naming their cubes I thought I'd like to do that too but... never got around to thinking of anything appropriate that I would like or maybe I'm just picky.

I used to do some knitting too but that was ages ago. I'm not that great at visual arts. I'm more of a music type - I play classical violin.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to he forum! I am 30 and also planning a wedding (only 15 more days!!) so I can definitely relate :) I've been cubing pretty regularly for 16 years as of next month, and I still love it!

Enjoy this learning phase! You've got a great approach for learning a lot quickly, which is good. Make sure to practice as you go in order to cement what you learn, but it sounds like you already do that.

The only additional things I can think to add are:
- Since you cube a lot, if your wrists/hands ever start to bother you, stop cubing for a day or two. Seriously.
- Check out the Roux method enough to know kind of how it works and try a couple solves with it. It's a very organic method, much more artistic and fluid than CFOP. You may like it.
- As fun and exhilarating as cubing can be, blindfolded cubing is a whole other level of fun and thrilling! It's nowhere near as difficult to do as it sounds at first. It's a very popular side event with lots of tutorials and information on how to do it. Just keep the idea in mind for later after you finish learning all the algs you're working on :)

Congratulations about your wedding, and welcome to the cube community!

Last edited:

Lady Pitch

Welcome to he forum! I am 30 and also planning a wedding (only 15 more days!!) so I can definitely relate :) I've been cubing pretty regularly for 16 years as of next month, and I still love it!

Enjoy this learning phase! You've got a great approach for learning a lot quickly, which is good. Make sure to practice as you go in order to cement what you learn, but it sounds like you already do that.

The only additional things I can think to add are:
- Since you cube a lot, if your wrists/hands ever start to bother you, stop cubing for a day or two. Seriously.
- Check out the Roux method enough to know kind of how it works and try a couple solves with it. It's a very organic method, much more artistic and fluid than CFOP. You may like it.
- As fun and exhilarating as cubing can be, blindfolded cubing is a whole other level of fun and thrilling! It's nowhere near as difficult to do as it sounds at first. It's a very popular side event with lots of tutorials and information on how to do it. Just keep the idea in mind for later after you finish learning all the algs you're working on :)

Congratulations about your wedding, and welcome to the cube community!

Thank you for the compliment on my learning approach. I just like to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. Several people have mentioned Roux method to me. I will definitely be checking this out more because it sounds interesting.

Blindfolded cubing doesn't sound difficult, it sounds absolutely terrifying. I can't even wrap my head around how that is even possible. I am still trying to get solving it with my eyes open down without stumbling all over my fingers. But when I get good... I will try it blindfolded. ;)

Lady Pitch

Everybody talking about Roux, and then oops don't read my signature. :p

This probably sounds weird, but I like the way you talk.

Hehehe.

And thank you, I like the way I talk too. Now, the way I randomly run into walls or trip up the stairs... I don't like that so much.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the compliment on my learning approach. I just like to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. Several people have mentioned Roux method to me. I will definitely be checking this out more because it sounds interesting.

Blindfolded cubing doesn't sound difficult, it sounds absolutely terrifying. I can't even wrap my head around how that is even possible. I am still trying to get solving it with my eyes open down without stumbling all over my fingers. But when I get good... I will try it blindfolded. ;)

Blindfolded cubing may sound terrifying and look totally mind-blowingly cool to non-cubers, but actually it's a different approach than normal sighted solving and is rather different. I'll bet that it's not as hard as you think it is.

Lady Pitch

So I started learning the Roux method this morning...

first impressions... I love it.
This feels natural to my brain.

And yes blind fold cubing looks mind blowingly cool. there is no better way to put it.
I think it will be something I will get into eventually. I mean, who doesn't want to look mind blowingly cool? Pfft... I know I do.

Sneaklyfox can you solve blindfolded? (and should I keep calling you that or do you have a knickname? can I just call you Sneak... or Fox... or SF... Just wondering. :D

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I started learning the Roux method this morning...

first impressions... I love it.
This feels natural to my brain.

A lot of people feel that way after trying Roux. Daniel Beyer (long time cuber) used CFOP for years and switched to Roux about two years ago. With off and on practice, he has a son and owns his own business so doesn't have a ton of free time, he is now faster at Roux than he was at CFOP, and with lots of potential to keep improving.

And yes blind fold cubing looks mind blowingly cool. there is no better way to put it.
I think it will be something I will get into eventually. I mean, who doesn't want to look mind blowingly cool? Pfft... I know I do.

There's no need to rush into learning blindfold cubing unless you just want to. Sneaklyfox is absolutely correct that blindfold cubing is really just learning a different solution method that allows you to solve without looking. You'll have to learn an introductory memory method too, but they are quite fun and can be pretty intuitive once you find the memory method that works for you. Like learning the solving methods, there are lots of useful tutorials out there.

Have fun! Keep us updated on your Roux'ing, if that is the method you decide on! :)

Lady Pitch

A lot of people feel that way after trying Roux. Daniel Beyer (long time cuber) used CFOP for years and switched to Roux about two years ago. With off and on practice, he has a son and owns his own business so doesn't have a ton of free time, he is now faster at Roux than he was at CFOP, and with lots of potential to keep improving.

There's no need to rush into learning blindfold cubing unless you just want to. Sneaklyfox is absolutely correct that blindfold cubing is really just learning a different solution method that allows you to solve without looking. You'll have to learn an introductory memory method too, but they are quite fun and can be pretty intuitive once you find the memory method that works for you. Like learning the solving methods, there are lots of useful tutorials out there.

Have fun! Keep us updated on your Roux'ing, if that is the method you decide on! :)

Yeah I am not rushing into blindfold solving anytime soon but it will be on my list of things to try. I want to see sub 30 times pretty consistently with the Roux method before i move onto anything else.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I am not rushing into blindfold solving anytime soon but it will be on my list of things to try. I want to see sub 30 times pretty consistently with the Roux method before i move onto anything else.

If you are looking for good resources for Roux, My tutorial is great for absolute beginner's (it's in my signature), but if you are already beyond that, I would try:

Waffo's amazing webpage
Rouxtorial (Alex Lau, the Roux Master's web page)
and the first one I found was Donovan's Roux Tutorial

Lady Pitch

welcome to the forums and the community :)
BTW for a 2 week cuber youre times are magnificent :D

Thanks!
I appreciate the encouragement.
My times are kind of shot right now though because I have switched to Roux yesterday and still haven't successfully solved it yet... but hopefully that will all change today. :D

Lady Pitch

I switched to Roux because a handful of people suggested it based on my learning style and thought processes. So I tried it out to see how it felt and I have fallen in love with it. It works better for my mind than CFOP does. The focus on M and U moves makes my hands happy too.

Lady Pitch

Progress on my Roux technique is this... my PB is 1:22 right now but I am averaging 1:40... I just got comfortable with the L6E steps and feel better completing all of that. I think I am HORRIBLE at setting up my first two blocks and I don't know enough CMLL algorithms to make me happy. But of course, I have only been doing this for two days.