• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"OO" algs

AlgoCuber

It's just preference. If you like them and it's faster for you, use them. Otherwise, don't.
Probably the main reason why OO algs are not universal is that it may be uncomfortable for some.

OO algs are just algs that are theoretically the fastest. They're actually "subjectively optimal" rather than "objectively optimal," IMHO.

Last edited:
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
OO algorithm's are generally not worth it due to the high risk factor but the easier ones like wide-Gc and RUfS F-perm are extremely fast and the risk factor can be greatly reduced with practice. It's really just depends on your turning. Not everyone can use OO algs and some can.

but some algs are worth it like for p shape olls
What is the OO P-shape you're referring to?

Labano

YouTube
Visit Channel
The S slice alg
OO algorithm's are generally not worth it due to the high risk factor but the easier ones like wide-Gc and RUfS F-perm are extremely fast and the risk factor can be greatly reduced with practice. It's really just depends on your turning. Not everyone can use OO algs and some can.

What is the OO P-shape you're referring to?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
There is an analogy to statistical models where one needs to specify carefully which metric a model uses. For example, for unbalanced classification tasks, accuracy is almost certainly not the right metric for the task at hand, and AUC has problems as well. Nonetheless, we can consider Pareto optimal algs in terms of several metrics (say, movecount, execution speed, risk) and get rid of all Pareto dominated algs.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
In my personal opinion, some “OO” algs are worth it, although they aren’t actually “objectively optimal.” Algs have gotten so developed that for many cases, there are multiple good choices for which alg to use, it is just all about what you prefer.

OO algs are not worth it actually.I have tried them out and there is a large chance of fumbling it.
Doesn’t 5-style use a lot of weird moves and fingertricks? It’s no different, just that the moves that were previously thought of as impossible (such as S and E moves) are now being applied to speedsolving as well.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the best way to determine an alg isn't the peak speed that you can reach on it, but the peak speed you can consistently and reliably reach on it. It doesn't matter if you can do an RUS uperm in 0.44 if you mess up and do 1.4 every other solve. In that case, an MU or RU that you can consistently do in 0.6 is going to be a better choice.

Try executing an alg for an ao25 a mo25 (without deleting any mistakes) and see which one is faster then.

Last edited:

AlgoCuber

I think the best way to determine an alg isn't the peak speed that you can reach on it, but the peak speed you can consistently and reliably reach on it
In my personal opinion, some “OO” algs are worth it, although they aren’t actually “objectively optimal.”
Completely agree. For example, OO Gc perm (R2' u' R U' R U R' u R2 f R' f') is the fastest for me to execute. However, I find myself doing way more consistently with the regular Gc perm (which I execute like this). However, on Gb perm, the OO version is pretty much always faster for me. I also hate algs with S slices because I can never seem to do it consistently. I know many on Discord and on this forum that will completely disagree with this, and that just explains why OO algs are not objective.

As I said before, OO algs are more like "theoretically optimal" than "objectively optimal." If everything goes perfectly, an OO alg is probably faster. However, most of the time that is not the case.

xyzzy

There are multiple wildly incompatible definitions of "OO" floating around.

1. Algs that use a lot of moves that used to be considered bad (e.g. B moves, S moves).
2. Algs that are risky but potentially fastest.
3. Algs that are optimal by some objective measure.
4. [insert meme cuber here]'s favourite algs.

(Probably not exhaustive. Wouldn't surprise me if someone else wanted to chime in with their own meaning of "OO".)

None of these is relevant to you on a personal level.

You should pick algs that are the best for you. If you don't know which ones to pick (especially if you're a newbie and don't have a wide fingertrick repertoire yet), then you can look to more experienced cubers' choices. But you still shouldn't treat them as gospel, and you should be open to switching to other algs.

Alg speed consistency is also a very subjective decision to make. If you're aiming to break records, you absolutely should go for high risk high reward choices. If you're looking to podium at a local comp, your strategy should depend on how fast the other competitors are. If you're trying to improve your average, you should go for algs that are the fastest on average, not necessarily the ones that have a lot of peak potential but are extremely risky.

---

Try executing an alg for an ao25 (without deleting any mistakes) and see which one is faster then.
If you're measuring alg execution times, you should almost always just use the mean rather than cutting out best/worst. The outliers matter, because the alg isn't the full solve; a 5th-percentile-bad execution time on, say, an RUS U perm alg doesn't mean that the solve as a whole is also going to be 5th-percentile-bad and be excluded from the average.

---

Also, treat this as a forum and not discord.
I mean, I have a tendency to wall-of-text here, but short posts should also be welcome, methinks.