• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

OLL or PLL

zslane

For cubers in that 60-90s range, what is the recommended order of study once 4LLL is learned?
  • Full PLL
  • Full OLL
  • Case/Alg F2L (as opposed to purely intuitive F2L)
  • Fingertricks optimization
  • Advanced F2L (X-Cross, pseudoslotting, etc.)

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
For cubers in that 60-90s range, what is the recommended order of study once 4LLL is learned?
  • Full PLL
  • Full OLL
When you say alg f2l, do you mean it for all the cases?
If soz that's a terrible idea

zslane

Well, yeah, I assume that all the really fast speedsolvers have (muscle-)memorized the algs that go with each F2L case so that all they have to do is recognize the case and execute the trigger.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, yeah, I assume that all the really fast speedsolvers have (muscle-)memorized the algs that go with each F2L case so that all they have to do is recognize the case and execute the trigger.
Not really. Almost no one at the top level of 3x3 speedsolving uses F2L algorithms. I haven't heard anyone that is remotely fast recommended algorithmic F2L, and that speaks volumes. The only way that algorithmic F2L would be better than intuitive is if your able to memorize huge alg sets and know exactly what they do, while also having a really bad understanding of the cube. For like 4-5 cases, algs could be decent, but in general algorithmic is not nearly as good as intuitive. The recognition for cases that are algorithmic would also take longer since you have to match that specific case with a specific alg. With intuitive, you don't need to call back to an algorithm, instead, you just set up the case in the way you think will make for an easy setup or fast execution.

zslane

So then what is the distinction between "Intuitive F2L" and "Advanced F2L"? The implication is that intuitive F2L is like "beginner's F2L" and is distinctly different from "Advanced F2L" in some way.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
So then what is the distinction between "Intuitive F2L" and "Advanced F2L"? The implication is that intuitive F2L is like "beginner's F2L" and is distinctly different from "Advanced F2L" in some way.
Intuitive F2L can be Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, it just depends on how well you know the puzzle. If you only know how to set up into a sexy move insert with very basic setups then its beginner. If you know how to do pretty much every case optimally without algs, then it's intermediate. If you can do stuff like pseudoslotting, then it's advanced. For some reason, people have to categorize things into beginner, intermediate, advanced, ETC. I have no clue why people feel the need to slap this label on things that are subjective to the cuber, but maybe it makes them feel more "advanced" after accidentally doing a double insert with keyhole. It's not the method that's "advanced", its the cuber.

zslane

I see.

So if F2L isn't intended to be alg-based, why are there "study cards" and PDFs all over the Internet showing all the F2L cases and the algs that solve them? As someone who recently began learning CFOP, this definitely led me to believe that memorizing the F2L case-alg pairs was every bit as much a part of mastering CFOP as memorizing full OLL and full PLL (which also appear in study card sets and PDFs).

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
I see.

So if F2L isn't intended to be alg-based, why are there "study cards" and PDFs all over the Internet showing all the F2L cases and the algs that solve them? As someone who recently began learning CFOP, this definitely led me to believe that memorizing the F2L case-alg pairs was every bit as much a part of mastering CFOP as memorizing full OLL and full PLL (which also appear in study card sets and PDFs).
For tricky cases, like edge in wrong slot, or edge and corner in place but edge flipped

zslane

Then why don't the study cards and PDFs only call out those tricky cases? By presenting all of the cases (and their algs), CFOP beginners get a very wrong impression about what they are supposed to be trying to do with F2L.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Then why don't the study cards and PDFs only call out those tricky cases? By presenting all of the cases (and their algs), CFOP beginners get a very wrong impression about what they are supposed to be trying to do with F2L.
Because people trick themselves into thinking that just because they know more algorithms that means they will be faster. Sure, that's definitely true for stuff like PLL, OLL, and ZBLL, but sometimes it goes a little too far. COLL is a great example of this. People that learned COLL have said that sometimes it actually makes their solves worse since instead of doing a Sune and J perm, they did a longer COLL case and a Z perm. Algs aren't everything, and 9/10 times, you should be learning something else other than an alg set. I mean, look at me. I've gotten many sub-9 squan averages while only knowing around 20-30 algs. I'm also averaging around 11-12 on 3x3 with only half of OLL.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
  • Full PLL
  • Full OLL
The order I recommend is:
1. Practice and improve until you average around 45
2. Work on doing INTUITIVE F2L more efficiently. This is something you should work on continuously but this is where you should start to do it.
3. Work on finger tricks, but don't learn anything too crazy. At this point I would recommend getting down to about 30 seconds before the next step.
4. Learn full PLL and get down to around 15 to 20 seconds
5. Learn full OLL and get to around 10-15 seconds, while still working on finger tricks, efficiency, lookahead etc.
6. Learn more advanced things like X cross and work on lookahead and other fundamentals.

This is a very rough guide, you don't have to follow it exactly. The point is, don't try to learn a bunch of algs just because you aren't improving.

zslane

As someone who is sorta bad at memorizing--that is to say, rote memorization takes me a long time--that is encouraging. So what would you recommend a 60-90s solver focus on after learning 4LLL? (Sorry, I posted this before Nmile's post showed up.)

One of the things I've been trying to do is perform F2L without rotating the cube; solving pairs into back slots, including back slot sledgehammers (I'm a big, big fan of sledgehammer, BTW). This slows me down since it is quite awkward for me, but I've seen online tutorials that highly recommend this approach to F2L.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
As someone who is sorta bad at memorizing--that is to say, rote memorization takes me a long time--that is encouraging. So what would you recommend a 60-90s solver focus on after learning 4LLL? (Sorry, I posted this before Nmile's post showed up.)

Just practice and do slow solves to improve F2L efficiency