• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
getting 10 sec faster will not take you months... the 1' solve was not bad for the most part, but the 4th F2L pair was awful to watch... You really should know how to solve every single F2L case (intuitively)
practice this: look for both pieces (edge and corner), think of how you want to solve the pair, close your eyes, solve it. that should help for solving a single pair faster :)

edit: you spend 10" doing a U-perm (3-edge cycle PLL). you will get a lot faster without much effort ;)

Last edited:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
the 1' solve was not bad for the most part, but the 4th F2L pair was awful to watch... You really should know how to solve every single F2L case (intuitively)
LOL, Yes I know.. I do however really apreciate your tips. That's why I post these vids.

practice this: look for both pieces (edge and corner), think of how you want to solve the pair, close your eyes, solve it. that should help for solving a single pair faster :)
I never thought of that. I will start with that today. Thanks!

edit: you spend 10" doing a U-perm (3-edge cycle PLL). you will get a lot faster without much effort ;)

I did it with left hand, which I only learned yesterday. I can do it with my right hand under 2 secs. ;)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep listening to Guus, he is legend in my eyes :D. Building pairs is definitely better than keyhole, I still regret I took the inbetween step of learning keyhole, it wasted time. Also it was annoying to get used to building pairs afterwards...

How about a competition in Enschede? http://cube.hackvalue.de/mn12/

Yes, I will keep on listening to Guus's advises. I think the competition is too soon for me. I do not perform very well under pressure so I need to get comfortable doing Fridich first. I will definitely enter competition one day.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you have a wrong idea of what a competition is about ;-) it's really about meeting up and having fun. No matter if you are 10 seconds of 1 minute. Also: no matter if you are 1 minute or 12 seconds on average, you aint gonna win anyway (don't take this too serious). Heck, you can even come and don't compete and just have fun :D

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I looked at your video. I'm no expert, But you need to recognize your cases much quicker to get faster.

Hi Jonlin,

I have been working on that. I have trained like l this:

[video=youtube_share;5oICURn9mKU]http://youtu.be/5oICURn9mKU[/video]

And today I had a new PB. 40 seconds with a PLL skip:

http://youtu.be/NEoPWd-9IwY

I am really happy today ;) Now I really want my averages drop from around 1:00 to this 40 seconds.. LOL

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
Nice progress :)

As for the training video, the blue-orange pair at 1:20 should be solved like this: R' U R U2 R' U R
What you did was bringing the edge to the U layer first, then build the pair, then inserting the pair. Those first two steps can be combined into one :)

As for the green-orange pair at 1:50: You're probably right that for you, at this point in your progress, [rotation - splitting the pair - rotation - solving] is faster than unsolving the green-red pair, but I think you should try to eliminate rotations (it will help you in the future :) )
So solve it with: R U2 R2' U' R2 U' R'

Last edited:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice. You are certainly improving and that is positive.

Yes, thanks!
Nice progress :)

As for the training video, the blue-orange pair at 1:20 should be solved like this: R' U R U2 R' U R

Ok, thanks. I have tried it. I will try to remember from now on.

As for the green-orange pair at 1:50: You're probably right that for you, at this point in your progress, [rotation - splitting the pair - rotation - solving] is faster than unsolving the green-red pair, but I think you should try to eliminate rotations (it will help you in the future :) )
So solve it with: R U2 R2' U' R2 U' R'

Yes, that is something for in the future. Like full OLL and full PLL ;-)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Guys,

I took an hour to do 60 solves. Here is my new avarage:
CubeTimer9.png

I had a lucky scramble and had a new PB as well. It was a full solve though:

Today is a happy day ;)

Attachments

• CubeTimer9.png
    CubeTimer9.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Slowly getting there, congrats!

I'm trying to follow your steps, I have shaved about 30 seconds of my average since I got my first Zhanchi and I'm sitting round the 1 minute mark now, thanks for the inspiration!

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL! You are welcome! Do you have solves online on Youtube? I would love to see it.

I will, once I can set up the camera with a good angle, no sooner than August 13 as I'm traveling abroad (with my cube, of course), but I'll definitely will do it, as Id like to be corrected to improve.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi! :)
I would suggest using not-colored cube, too, because it isn't allowed to use them at competition ;)

I know, I also like my normal Zhanchi's and Guhongs. I change every few solves to a different cube. I have to admit that I like the speed of the color cubes best. I think it is ridiculous that they are not allowed in competition. They should change the rules.
[video=youtube_share;QMEDKKBHv_E]http://youtu.be/QMEDKKBHv_E[/video]