• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Guys,

My name is Marcel, 42 years old. I have learned to solve the cube at age 11 - 12 or so. I had not touched a cube a maybe 15 - 20 years. A few weeks ago I solved a cube and found it very nice to see that I still knew how to do that. When I looked at youtube I found amazing stuff from you speedsolvers. I thought it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I solved the cube in a layer by layer which could take up to 10 minutes.

So when I decided that I want to be much faster. I ordered a few cubes. The Dayan Zhianchi and Guhong. I looked at these video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBUkVpIsFw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

And in one week I went from solving times of 10 minutes to below 2 minutes. In fact I have a video of a 1.30 solve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjjq82S1DcA&list=UUIXTiyCxjMTqLy2P_gV5Vxw&index=1&feature=plcp

My goal is to get below one minute. Right now I have not focussed on OLL and PLL. I just need to get the 2FL much quicker. I recon in a few weeks times must be a lot better.

Cheers!

Last edited:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I looked at your video. I'm no expert, But you need to recognize your cases much quicker to get faster.

Thanks Jonlin. This video I made was just after learning about building pairs. So after only a few hours doing all different cases. I really want to become quicker at the recognising. I quess but just practising weeks and weeks I will become faster. If anyone has tips on how to reconize faster I would be glad to hear them. It really is my biggest weakness at the moment.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome Marcel!
Good introduction. Nice to have some more of us "oldies" on here (I'm 39).
Hope you enjoy it here.

Yes, we oldies have to stick together.. LOL

I see you have already found Badmephisto's yt channel. Make sure to check out his other video and website too.

Another good F2L video series (just for different perspective) is the RiDo Hunting Story
http://youtu.be/WB5apB2i_Do

Thanks! I will definatly watch it.

Welcome! I watched your video. Try to do your cross in 8 or less moves. Badmephisto has pretty good tips on how to do the cross. Practice doing it blindfolded. Start with just one or two edge pieces, then move to three, then four.

Yes, I have not put any effort in doing the cross. I do it in 13 - 15 seconds. Waaaaay tooooo looooong. Thanks for the tip. I love his video's.

Last edited by a moderator:

wensley21

Wow... I'm just amaze at your age you still have interest on cubing...My Dad cant even handle holding it.... anyway! Welcome to the World of Speedcubing Marcel. Hope you achieved your goal.

Applejuice

Hey Marcel!

I'm Dutch too! In what area are you?

And around 54 seconds, I see you slowly twist the cube to find where to insert the pair. Try to know your color scheme better! For instance: I know that when yellow is on top and red is on front that orange is on the back (orange and yellow are a like, a little trick to help memorize) and on the right is green and left blue.
But don't worry, just keep on practicing, I trust that you will get sub 1 minute!
Also, try to limit your cube rotations. It's not that important for you right now, but just something to practice on sometimes.
I also notice that you turn slow. You my want to just practice doing fingertricks a bit faster (but at the same time try to limit your pauses!) .

Also note that I'm a beginner like you, but I think that the above tips will help you. (hope)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks wensley21. I guess I am a big kid anyway. ;)
Hey Applejuice. I am from Bovenkarspel. Thanks for the heads up. Right now building pairs is not something that my mind can do without thinking. So it takes long to find the pairs and long to remember what to do with them ;) I will keep practising untill it will become better. I just clocked a 1.18 btw

Applejuice

Thanks wensley21. I guess I am a big kid anyway. ;)
Hey Applejuice. I am from Bovenkarspel. Thanks for the heads up. Right now building pairs is not something that my mind can do without thinking. So it takes long to find the pairs and long to remember what to do with them ;) I will keep practising untill it will become better. I just clocked a 1.18 btw

Congrats on the new PB (right?)! How long do you practice per day? And how long have you had your Zhanchi & Guhong?

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
I think I practise one or twoo hours a day. I just keep a cube in my hands while watching TV LOL..

Best way to practice :) You don't need to time every solve.

Also, if you have a chance to go to a competition (there is 1 in the Netherlands at the end of august and 2 at the end of september), certainly do so!
Meeting some experienced cubers will surely help you on fingertricks and other usefull things

List of competitions in Europe

edit: watched the video, that cube needs some lube :p

Last edited:

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
1:30 was a bit painfull to watch :)
- you didn't need to turn the top layer to make the yellow cross
- but if you do: instead of rotatating the whole cube you can just turn the top layer instead
- If you had performed that same alg straight after thatg last pair (without cu!be rotation)your OLL would have been solved
- in a really lucky case performing the alg from the left side could have solved the whole cube :)

Just keep going and soon things will feel more natural and times will decrease.

Make sure to check badmephisto's beginner last layer!

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited: