• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have been watching some tutorials on speedcubing and different methods.
And it all seems a little mind blowing.
Can anyone tell me if when they started speedcubing thought they would never break through barriers.
I solved my cube around 10 times in a row my best time was 49 secs. And slowest was 1:02.
I know it’s very early but is there hope for me. Please give me some hope.
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.
Definitely hope. Around a minute is an excellent starting point. Keep working on it, and you’ll be under 40 seconds in no time, then 30, 25, 20, etc. I’ve been at it close to 4 years and average about 28. I’ll get under 20 someday, but not everybody can be Feliks Zemdegs or Max Park, either.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone tell me if when they started speedcubing thought they would never break through barriers.
I solved my cube around 10 times in a row my best time was 49 secs. And slowest was 1:02.
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.
LOL yes, there's very much hope!
I wasn't that fast when I first got serious about speedcubing.
My first competition, I had already spent six months seriously speedcubing and improved a lot, and I still got a 40 second average. Although I did manage to get a successful blindfolded solve in that competition too, since I fell in love with blindfolded solving about 3 months after I got serious about speedcubing, and practiced like crazy on that for 3 months straight.
And a few years later, I was winning national titles for blindsolving.
And now I'm awful compared to the kids that are winning competitions now. But I'm still having fun! :)

As for it sounding mindblowing, that's how it is at first. Just pick a small amount to work on and focus on that, and keep your goals limited. Eventually that little bit will make sense, and then a little more will, and before you know it, you'll be trying all kinds of things and able to make much faster progress.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.
Definitely that’s a good spot for now. I still have a lot of variability. I had the opposite experience regarding “I’ll never...”
I tend to say, “I’ll be satisfied when I get...”

Then that keeps moving every time I get what ever I said. I DO NOT think I will ever get sub-10, but even though I’m still trying to go sub-20, I believe someday I’ll be closer to 16s or so. But for now, “I’ll be happy with sub-20.” (Until I’m not)

Oh, I I think most people use CFOP... I certainly still do.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.

Methods: for the most part they're just different with similar potential and it comes down to personal preference. Some people really enjoy experimenting with lots of methods and we're in this for the enjoyment. If the different methods feel overwhelming you can rest assured that CFOP is certainly good enough.

I set a goal of a sub :20 Ao5 back when I was at about 1:30 because it felt like a completely ridiculous goal to set. I haven't come close on official avg yet but I have managed it at home once on a really good day. I had to move my goal to sub :10 now to remain reasonably "crazy".

If you're using the beginners' method of solving bottom corners first and then edges separately then I would start learn F2L next. That can be frustrating because it will initially slow you but pushing beginners' method faster is a dead-end. My main improvements are still mostly from improving F2L and lookahead.

If you are using F2L, start noting cases that give you trouble and find better ways of handling them. It takes a while and practice but it does come together. Recording a few solves and watching back is probably the most helpful thing, when I'm watching back without actively solving it's painfully obvious how much I pause. Getting rid of those pauses is the key.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.

Wow, I have not received any email notifications for a while, missed all these stories!

Welcome @Boogie dude !

I think we were all there where you are. I started just hoping to finish without looking at algorithm table, then broke 1 min. Started competing & immediately became the oldest (in that competition) and also the slowest - almost every competition for a while. Couple of month later, learned intuitive F2L, broke 50s, learned all PLL, broke 40s. But I'm still around 20s, year and half, I have not broken my official PB average since 2017 June :)

Boogie dude

Wow, I have not received any email notifications for a while, missed all these stories!

Welcome @Boogie dude !

I think we were all there where you are. I started just hoping to finish without looking at algorithm table, then broke 1 min. Started competing & immediately became the oldest (in that competition) and also the slowest - almost every competition for a while. Couple of month later, learned intuitive F2L, broke 50s, learned all PLL, broke 40s. But I'm still around 20s, year and half, I have not broken my official PB average since 2017 June :)
what cube do you use ?

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am still using CFOP.
Thanks.

My original goal was 30 seconds, which I never thought I'd get. My PB is 25 now. So now my goal is 20, and I think I'll actually get it. I just need to practice smarter. Other goals for this year include solving the 4x4x4 (check), solving the 5x5x5 (check), so I'm doing pretty well.

I am 100% sure though I will never break 4.22 seconds, which was the WR when I started cubing. So if you're hoping to beat that, I can't give you much hope! ;)

Boogie dude

How many here have solved the 11 x 11 ? I have done it a few times.
Oh and I just ordered the Valk 3 m power. I think I may have a problem with ordering cubes now.

Boogie dude

Today’s triumph for me, 41.75 solve time. Considering I’m using my old sloppy method, I am well pleased.
So my new goal is sub 40 secs, I have a load of algorithms to relearn. But I can see sub 30 times in a matter of maybe a good months practice. I can even see a sub 20 in the future. If you can believe you can achieve.